Good (alcoholic) drinks to have/make at home

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Lilani said:
So, for the first time in my life I'm of the legal drinking age AND I'm living in a place where I'm allowed to keep alcohol, and I'd like to take advantage of this but I'm afraid I'm a bit unfamiliar with drinks. So I'm calling out to all of you this evening to ask: what drinks to you like to have at home or mix on your own?

Just to give you someplace to start, I'm not really interested in very hard liquor, just stuff that tastes nice and doesn't go down with too much difficulty, and that's good to enjoy cold (I might come back in the winter time to ask about warm drinks). I don't really like beer either, but if you have any ideas of beers that don't taste like your average beer I'd be willing to listen. So, bottoms up everyone!
disaronno and coke. 1-2 shots of the disaronno, top up your glass with coke, absolutely delicious. doesn't even taste like booze to me, it's just a lovely drink. to improve it, add ice. not sure why, but the coolness helps the flavour

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Lord Kloo said:
Amaretto and Coke, best tasting drink ever and rather similar to Dr. Pepper, I can't remember what the proportions are like but if you've got a lot of time its worth a try
I agree with this... it really does taste like an alcoholic Dr P!

But I will also add in Gin and Tonic... that is also damn awesome!

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
I usually have a bottle of Rumple Mintz at home during the Winter times. And as it helps with sinus congestion, it is useful as a bit of a makeshift cold remedy at times.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Get some vanilla schnapps and some amaretto, mix that shit up and you got a pretty good drink.
Also you can't go wrong with whiskey or bourbon.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Bacardi Oakheart, extremly smooth stuff, room temp & sipping it straight out of the bottle.... or mix it with a little coke.
Or for something a little more complex a drink of my own creation I give you....
The Peachy Beachy Bumm Daddy....

1 shot Parrot Bay Coconut Rum
1 shot Pineapple Rum (I prefer Whalers)
1 shot regular Coca Cola
1 shot Malibu Pina Colada Mix (This has to be Malibu!!!)
& the main ingredient Tropicana Peach Orchard Punch or any other peach flavored drink, this stuff just works the best.

Best served in a chilled glass without ice. Everything must be cold for best taste. First mix both rums & coke in a highball glass then fill glass with the Peach Orchard punch but leave room for the shot of pina colada mix. Last add the pina colada mix, but don't stir it, let it settle to the bottom of the glass. Very sweet drink!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Wow...over 1 page in and there's nobody telling us that we're horrible, stupid people for poisoning our bodies? Weird...

Anyways, I'm gonna be boring and just give a good word for the 'ol Jack Daniels and Coke. Or Jameson and Coke. I hold both in equal regard. Since I'm a raging alcoholic I'll usually do 2 parts whiskey to 1 part coke, but that's just me.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
When I'm in the mood to drink alone, I find that straight vodka is the most fitting beverage.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Lilani said:
So, for the first time in my life I'm of the legal drinking age AND I'm living in a place where I'm allowed to keep alcohol, and I'd like to take advantage of this but I'm afraid I'm a bit unfamiliar with drinks. So I'm calling out to all of you this evening to ask: what drinks to you like to have at home or mix on your own?

Just to give you someplace to start, I'm not really interested in very hard liquor, just stuff that tastes nice and doesn't go down with too much difficulty, and that's good to enjoy cold (I might come back in the winter time to ask about warm drinks). I don't really like beer either, but if you have any ideas of beers that don't taste like your average beer I'd be willing to listen. So, bottoms up everyone!
A White Russian (2 parts milk, 1 part vodka, 1 part Kaluha) is one of the most delicious things you can drink, alcoholic or otherwise.

If you're having red meat, mix up a martini (I like it with just a splash of vermouth, two shots of gin, and a little more than a splash of olive juice)

Back on the sweet side: a bourbon milkshake. Just literally make a milkshake, but substitute bourbon for milk. Two cautions: one, it's going to creep up on you because bourbon tends to be STRONG and you'll barely taste it and two: use high-quality ice cream unless you want it to be really liquidy.

Other than that: vodka mixes with BASICALLY anything.

If you want beer: Fat Tire. And don't let anyone elitist you away from Guiness, it's amazingly smooth and does the job fine. Oh and it mixes well with whiskey and/or ice cream.

Sirtety

Nov 29, 2011
Jack Daniel's and ginger ale always works for me on a hot day.

If you're not looking specifically for liquor and are new to drinking a few beers I recommend are the Sam Adams cherry wheat, or any of the Leinenkugel's beers if you can find them.

Sirtety

Nov 29, 2011
anthony87 said:
Wow...over 1 page in and there's nobody telling us that we're horrible, stupid people for poisoning our bodies? Weird...
Meh....drinking is like smoking. Everyone knows it's not necessarily good for you, but as long as it's done responsibly the harm is pretty minimal.

At least we're not recommending that Lilani go out and get smashed on the hardest stuff we can think of.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I've recently had the chance to try Bulleit Rye whiskey, its great. Strong rye grain flavor, with the traditional vanilla bourbon burn. Delicious all by itself! My roommate created a drink he called the Deer Hunter, it was 1 part canadian whiskey, 1 part Kahlua (or other coffee liquer), and one part Frangelico. Sounds disgusting, but its actually pretty good. serve in a rocks glass with three cubes of ice. Gets you hammed pretty fast. New amsterdam gin shaken and then poured into a rocks glass with some lime juice and seltzer water makes fantastic G&T's.