Good Bad Flicks: Scanners 2 The New Order

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Trooooper?!
Oh well, no need to go all John Wick about THAT...

Keep em coming, Cecil!!! :)

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Agh!

Your first boring video!

This is one I actually couldn't finish, it was so dull.

Please do one about Black Roses (1988) or George Romero's Bruiser

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Can't believe there wasn't a single Stargate reference in this video.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
008Zulu said:
Zontar said:
I didn't recognise him until Cecil mentioned his name at the end.
Didn't he mention his name right at his introduction?

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Zontar said:
I only ever watched Stargate Universe so its one major Scifi series I don't know much about.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
CecilT said:
Zontar said:
I only ever watched Stargate Universe so its one major Scifi series I don't know much about.
You're missing out. They got a lot of good mileage out of the whole Stargate idea. I consider it very solid second tier quality stuff over all - on par with classic Battlestar Galactica, V, DS9 or Farscape.

Edit: And now that I've watched the video, I have to say that I freakin' love Scanners. The whole premise left the series wide open for a lot of sequels (the broad distribution of the drug meant you could have a significant population of Scanners running around) and it really would make a cool TV series if done right.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Gorrath said:
CecilT said:
Zontar said:
You're missing out. They got a lot of good mileage out of the whole Stargate idea. I consider it very solid second tier quality stuff over all - on par with classic Battlestar Galactica, V, DS9 or Farscape.

Edit: And now that I've watched the video, I have to say that I freakin' love Scanners. The whole premise left the series wide open for a lot of sequels (the broad distribution of the drug meant you could have a significant population of Scanners running around) and it really would make a cool TV series if done right.
I know I totally missed the boat on Stargate. When it was first on I was really busy and never watched it. Now there is such much I'd have to clear my schedule and binge for months. If it was on Netflix it would be easier to do but its not so I'd have to buy the box sets and I'd rather not do that.

If Syfy does finally get to do a Scanners TV show, I hope they keep it on par with the production value of their top shelf shows. It does have a lot of potential.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
CecilT said:
Gorrath said:
CecilT said:
Zontar said:

I know I totally missed the boat on Stargate. When it was first on I was really busy and never watched it. Now there is such much I'd have to clear my schedule and binge for months. If it was on Netflix it would be easier to do but its not so I'd have to buy the box sets and I'd rather not do that.

If Syfy does finally get to do a Scanners TV show, I hope they keep it on par with the production value of their top shelf shows. It does have a lot of potential.
It's a tough nut to crack, kind of like trying to go back and binge all of ST:TNG. I think of it as a sometimes show, a snack you can occasionally kick back and enjoy. It doesn't have the kind of top-notch character drama that make tier 1 sci fi shows so great but they do a solid job of evolving the concept over the seasons that they manage to not get horribly stale most of the time. Hopefully it'll get a nice streaming release sometime because I wouldn't spend a bunch of money buying it up.

Your mileage will vary and personal tastes will play a big factor with SG-1 since it's not really transcendent. Not that being transcendent seems to mean anything to folks. Hell, Rolling Stone's staff thinks ST:TNG is somehow not as good as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Torchwood or even fucking LOST for fucks sake and that the new Flash series is better than Red Dwarf, Aeon Flux and Futurama! Anywho, unnecessary nerd rant over.

If you need some help getting into SG-1, I'll be happy to help you find the time.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Gorrath said:
CecilT said:
Zontar said:

If DS9 stands for Deep Space Nine there is nothing second rate about it. The first three seasons are a little uneven but once it hits its stride it is among the best Trek ever put to the small screen.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
Gorrath said:
CecilT said:
Zontar said:

If DS9 stands for Deep Space Nine there is nothing second rate about it. The first three seasons are a little uneven but once it hits its stride it is among the best Trek ever put to the small screen.
Yup, DS9 is what I was on about. I consider it a second rate Sci Fi show because, while it had some of the very best episodes of any show I've ever seen (seriously, the way they revisited the Trouble With Tribbles from the original was a triumph!) it also had some LONG stretches of mediocrity. Most of the Dominion war stuff seemed to alternate between boring, cringe-worthy and downright bad.

One of the things I use to judge any work is how much it inspired that which came after it and how derivative it was of what came before. I think it is fair to say that DS9 falls much more into the latter category than the former. Don't get me wrong, I love the good parts of DS9 so much that it is my second favorite Trek series after the vaunted Next Generation, so I'm not by any means hating on it. I consider my tier two shows to be generally really good just not transcendent. I have a very hard time considering DS9 a tier 1 show when it's only the 3rd best Trek series (over-all, the best of DS9 is every bit as good as the best of TNG and the original).

Voyager also had some really tremendous story arcs and single episodes (the Doctor is one of the best Trek characters ever conceived, the comparions to Data be damned) and I consider it to be a tier three show. Just for comparison, a few of my top tier shows would be TNG (obviously), the original Trek (almost on inspiration alone), Dr. Who (if we're considering all of it at once), The Twilight Zone and The X-Files (even if the first season made me cringe when I re-watched it recently, holy hell did it get better in a hurry.)

Anywho, I'd love to hear some counter points if you're up for some jousting. Sci Fi on the big and small screen is one of my great passions. I come by it honestly; my parents were both such geek nerds that my father taught me to read using Conan books and my mother could tell you the whole plot of every episode of the original Trek just by what happened in the first two minutes.