Good Bad Flicks: WTF Are You Doing Blumhouse?

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
WTF Are You Doing Blumhouse?

Blumhouse has a problem with jump scare endings.

Watch Video

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
"how did you miss out on the opportunity to end this video on a BAGUL!" I started typing when the credits rolled. I tip my hat to you, good sir. Should have never doubted you.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Rawbeard said:
"how did you miss out on the opportunity to end this video on a BAGUL!" I started typing when the credits rolled. I tip my hat to you, good sir. Should have never doubted you.
Trust me, I'm a professional. I know my audience. :) :)

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
A final jump scare at the end of a film always annoys me. Theres no skill in it, just one loud noise and a face going "boo". I guess it does its job though, but I have to agree that a lot of horror films do a better job without that final scare

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I didn't even have to see the video to know this was about "mmmnnnBUGGHUL!"
Another absolutely awesome editorial. What are they thinking? It's like a running joke by now.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
agreed about these silly jump scares. i always ask my self: WHY???? whats hte point of it? why would the monster do that?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
That's a cheap trend that really bugs me. Glad you didn't overdo it in illustrating your point. I must say as well, that it's nice to have someone who not only produces interesting videos like these but also drops by the comment sections to answer questions and touch base with people. I appreciate that.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
BBBBB-BUGUUUUHLLLL!!!!
Yup, that's just annoying; even at the start.
Let alone the ending... :(

Nail on the head as always, Cecil!
Watched Santa's Slay on your recommendation two days ago; thanks!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I finally got to see Unfriended two days ago and that ending REALLY got on my nerves. Unlike you, I thought the movie was spectacular, conjuring up the specific feelings of unease unique to movies with an omnipresent, formless antagonist that can manipulate whatever it pleases, be it physical, mental, and even digital in this movie's case. Laura...

...kills herself in the opening scene (which I thought was every bit as powerful as the beginning of Sinister)...

...and then manages to appear simultaneously both in AND out of nearly every frame of the movie. She's a menacing, more-direct, and vindictive human analog to the Overlook Hotel in The Shining.

Then... BUHGUULAURA! Really? Are you fucking serious? I haven't been that disappointed in a horror movie's final second since Sinister (one of my favorite horror movies of all time). And judging by the camera angle of the last shot, Laura's not even attacking [last living character], she's attacking the laptop. Does that mean [last living character] makes an off-screen escape and becomes the protagonist in the already-in-production sequel? Just kill me now if that's what actually happens.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Im shocked that he didn't mention Krampus or even a film that does this and predates this trend, The Day Of The Dead Remake.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Chaosian said:
I didn't even have to see the video to know this was about "mmmnnnBUGGHUL!"
Another absolutely awesome editorial. What are they thinking? It's like a running joke by now.
Thanks! I'm hoping this is just a brief trend because it is beyond old at this point.

Barbas said:
That's a cheap trend that really bugs me. Glad you didn't overdo it in illustrating your point. I must say as well, that it's nice to have someone who not only produces interesting videos like these but also drops by the comment sections to answer questions and touch base with people. I appreciate that.
I tried to keep it concise but wanted to show enough to express that this is becoming an issue.

Glad you appreciate it! I appreciate you good folks who keep watching. I figure the least I could do is drop in and give some replies. :)

Kenjitsuka said:
BBBBB-BUGUUUUHLLLL!!!!
Yup, that's just annoying; even at the start.
Let alone the ending... :(

Nail on the head as always, Cecil!
Watched Santa's Slay on your recommendation two days ago; thanks!
Excellent! That movie is a riot!

Ten Foot Bunny said:
I finally got to see Unfriended two days ago and that ending REALLY got on my nerves. Unlike you, I thought the movie was spectacular, conjuring up the specific feelings of unease unique to movies with an omnipresent, formless antagonist that can manipulate whatever it pleases, be it physical, mental, and even digital in this movie's case. Laura...

...kills herself in the opening scene (which I thought was every bit as powerful as the beginning of Sinister)...

...and then manages to appear simultaneously both in AND out of nearly every frame of the movie. She's a menacing, more-direct, and vindictive human analog to the Overlook Hotel in The Shining.

Then... BUHGUULAURA! Really? Are you fucking serious? I haven't been that disappointed in a horror movie's final second since Sinister (one of my favorite horror movies of all time). And judging by the camera angle of the last shot, Laura's not even attacking [last living character], she's attacking the laptop. Does that mean [last living character] makes an off-screen escape and becomes the protagonist in the already-in-production sequel? Just kill me now if that's what actually happens.
I liked the concept of Unfriended very much but I thought the characters were awful and the deaths were dumb. (who makes Salsa in their bedroom?!) With the end of the movie, its stupid like you said. The webcam is off so she is lunging at the audience. Why?!

They are working on a sequel, as well as trying spinoffs. First is a straight sequel, probably a bunch of new kids on Skype but they also are trying to do the formula with things like comedies and dramas. Oh boy.

TheScorpion said:
Im shocked that he didn't mention Krampus or even a film that does this and predates this trend, The Day Of The Dead Remake.
Oh I forgot Krampus had a scare at the end. I barely remember the Day of the Dead remake lol.I did mention there were plenty of films before this that did it, its just that they were few and far between. Now its popping up all over.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
From what you are saying here it looks like its yet another case of the studio disease. They made the films fine but studios insisted on ruining them.