CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
WTF Happened to Movie Remakes

What happened to movie remakes?

Watch Video

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
The main reason for remakes and reboots - PEOPLE PAY TO SEE THEM

If you cry about a reboot or remake but still fork over the cash to go see it in the cinema then you've no-one to blame but yourself

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
It's a shame how many good foreign horror movies have been completely butchered by American studios. I honestly can't think of a single decent remake after The Ring

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
My friends and I often say to each other; sigh... America is going to take a dump on another Asian (horror) movie... :(
Good vid as always, thanks!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
baconmaster said:
It's a shame how many good foreign horror movies have been completely butchered by American studios. I honestly can't think of a single decent remake after The Ring
Quarantine was okay, but it's nowhere near as good as the REC films.

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
baconmaster said:
A shame of a movie, maybe, but you still have the original to watch.

Wait Walter Mitty is a remake? Damnnn the plot of the original seems so much more interesting.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
it certainly gets out of hand. i for one didnt even know that some of the american movies are remakes or adaptations from asian movies like the eye. i personally didnt mind the american version with alba much but i still would like to see the original one. only i had no luck what so ever finding it. even when living in hong kong were i am more exposed to asian films. and if i find some of them, they dont all the time have english subtitles.

the grudge was still an ok horror movie since it was made in japan and made by the same director but yes, the original was way better.
some others i didnt even know it was a remake. i knew that the thing was a remake so as scarface but didnt know the rest.
good thing i didnt bother getting quarantine since it did sound like the original spanish movie rec. and this was the first i saw and didnt even know it was a remake and adaptation of the original.
looks like movies im interested in, i should do some research.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
CecilT said:
What happened to movie remakes?
I think we need to read between the lines on this one. Movies cost more and more to be made these days than what they used to. Since it costs so much, the studio is hesitant to green light new productions, unless they are from reliable sources. So they remake and re-adapt movies that have been shown to earn money. Thus our current climate of entertainment. But while this might seem obvious, this is the reading between the lines bit; "Hollywood" is in financial trouble. They can't afford to branch out on new ideas (would we have gotten Iron Man if WB's reboot of Batman bombed? Most likely not), and this pattern of diminished returns on remakes, is not going to hold forever. I think the movie industry is in for something of a crash.

ManFromTheInternet

Jul 4, 2015
WolvDragon said:
Since when is Amazing Spider-Man a remake? It's a reboot.
Every remake is a reboot but we only describe it as one when it's the first movie in a series.

Anyway, it's quite simple- money. Companies prefer to take as little risk as possible and hollywood discovered that people will go see something they recognize. This includes entire plots they have already seen. So why take the risk with an original idea? no reason to, it's better to reduce the risk of the investment.

This goes beyond remakes. Go over the movies released this year. How many are sequals? remakes? based on books or comics? how many borrow something familiar (Pac-man and other 80's classic games in Pixels for example)?

Compare that to movies released in say 1998, how many sequals, remakes, book adaptations etc in that year? There's an undeniable trend at work.

They just want anything you'll recognize in the movie- original idea are an unknown, and unknown is risky. Making something completely new? an original idea never seen before? fuck that noise this is business- not art.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The Dream Factory has been, large in part, replaced by the Inferior Memory Factory. Repackaged goods and leftover ideas are selling because people are being suckered into the nostalgia. :/

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
First time I've seen this guy, very impressed and I'll be checking out more of his work here.

Usually I fall into the "make it like the original" camp, but after seeing this, I am convinced more towards remakes being better and new overall, not just a better version of what's already been.

Gonna have to re-watch some old movies in a new light... And encourage people to stop seeing bad movies just because of the names involved. (Best ways to stop bad movies is to tell other people that they are bad! The internet lets us get an opinion out to a lot of people)