Good concept, Bad execution

ckel8330

Nov 21, 2010
I'm not sure if this has been done before what what the heck. There are many games out which suffered from this, Fallout new vegas for example; Brimming with good ideas just implimented badly, or more accuratly just incomplete. So i was wondering what games/ideas you guys think were a misfire and how, if you could, go about fixing them.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
KotOR II

Incomplete, but still a great game. Sure, there were broken quest lines, but what was there was fun. And it ended terribly... Seems to be their business model, though...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm going to say Voodoo Vince. It's a game about the 3rd best Voodoo doll in a shop who must save his creator when a teenager steals her Zombie Powder, kidnaps her and, accidentally unleashes horrors from a dark realm...who are adorable and look a lot like the germs from Dr. Mario.

The big hook is how you are able to perform different Voodoo powers. It was pretty funny and a good platformer but it could have been better executed. For example, you have no control over which power you use. They are all insta-death attacks with nothing going for them except different animation scenes. It would have been awesome if they used different voodoo powers to unlock different things or use certain voodoo powers to defeat certain enemies but it's all good. It was imaginative and fun. It didn't seem too popular though but that isn't necessarily a bad thing...unless you're like me and want a sequel. A part of me is disappointed that we're getting a Max Payne 3 instead of a Voodoo Vince 2.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Legendary had an awesome concept. I love FPS's and myhtology, so the two together would be awesome.. THEY. JUST. DO. IT. WRONG!

SevenForce

Aug 26, 2010
Red Faction guerilla. The previous two games weren't amazing, but they were fun, and destroying scenery was an awesome idea. Guerilla took things up a notch, using an engine that looked amazing, and used really good physics. Unfortunately, it was made about the same time that all developers seemed to be hot for sandbox games, totally eliminating any decent plot, and making missions seem boring and repetetive - go rescue x hostage, destroy y building, come back when you have z money etc.

If the game had less missions, and they made them more interesting (quality over quantity), i'd have been much happier. That said, i only played the game for 2 hours before i got sick of it, so maybe i'm not the best person to comment..

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
inb4 Brutal Legend. No, the game was executed fantastically, you were just bad at it.

But really, I'd say Dead Space. I mean, it's a good game and all, but the whole idea of using mining tools as weapons... I mean, the 'mining tools' you have are so futuristic, they might as well be weapons to start with. What use in mining is a saw blade?

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
God of War.

I love mythology, and a game about Greek Mythology really got my interest. Played the first one and was "alright, not bad". The story is fine, but the game itself was boring. Just button mash to make the big man dance and kill. Press X to not die. Do it again. Price to pay for an interesting narrative.

God of War II. Same thing. Kratos is starting to become unreasonable.

God of War III. Same thing now with more jerkass Kratos. I don't want to play this guy anymore. The entirety of Greek Mythology is now dead because it was "fun". A winner is you!

We need more good games based on mythology. I want to see an action-rpg set in ancient Egypt. But I want better rpg elements, more exploring, and puzzles implemented into combat. And make combat like a fighting game. Lock on to an enemy, and then actually think about the battle. If people don't want to do that they can button mash, but that's just not fun for me.

Opinions, natch.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Mirror's Edge. Its a game that focuses mostly on parkour elements yet you spend most of the game running down a linear hallway. If it had been an open world game with less hallways it probably would have been a lot better.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
SevenForce said:
Red Faction guerilla. The previous two games weren't amazing, but they were fun, and destroying scenery was an awesome idea. Guerilla took things up a notch, using an engine that looked amazing, and used really good physics. Unfortunately, it was made about the same time that all developers seemed to be hot for sandbox games, totally eliminating any decent plot, and making missions seem boring and repetetive - go rescue x hostage, destroy y building, come back when you have z money etc.

If the game had less missions, and they made them more interesting (quality over quantity), i'd have been much happier. That said, i only played the game for 2 hours before i got sick of it, so maybe i'm not the best person to comment..
it really picks up once you're done parker and dust, and get your hands on arc welder and nano-rifle.
and there is a decent amount of variety.

on topic: Far. Cry. 2.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
zfactor said:
KotOR II

Incomplete, but still a great game. Sure, there were broken quest lines, but what was there was fun. And it ended terribly... Seems to be their business model, though...
Not so much their fault. The game was rushed.

Event Horizon. I know it's not a game, but still. I think I'm gonna go slightly controversial and say Red Dead Redemption. I was ready for a playable Deadwood, but the characters were pretty archetypal or silly or uninteresting, and the game itself was just really...boring.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
It's a big problem, and it's really such a shame when such a great sounding game is executed so poorly.

But when it's given the right team it can be marvellous. For me, Arkham Asylum is an axcellent example of this.

Everyone, at first, was like "Oh no another superhero game, this'll be dreadful."

But it came back on a batarang and smacked us all in the face as it was one of the finest games ever produced.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

nuff said

AndrewC said:
But when it's given the right team it can be marvellous. For me, Arkham Asylum is an axcellent example of this.

Everyone, at first, was like "Oh no another superhero game, this'll be dreadful."

But it came back on a batarang and smacked us all in the face as it was one of the finest games ever produced.
you just described the complete opposite of the point you're trying to make. You are desbring "bad concept, good execution". Look at the thread tittle again.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I'm gonna say Alpha Protocol. I liked the modern take on the espionage genre, which happens to be one of my favorites, but it was really buggy and unbalanced. Sometimes you would shoot someone two feet in front of you and you'd miss. Also the dialoge system was meh, but it could have been a lot better had it not been a formulaic story and the combat system was fixed.

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
Fable 3.

The "morphing system" for your Hero weapons is completely random, and completely unnecessary since you'll never use them because they're the weakest weapons in the game.

The interaction system for NPCs is broken since you can't actually choose what you want to do, which causes you to dance and maybe play pattycake with every NPC.

The new shop system makes it so they can only display 1-5 items at a time depending on if it's a stall or store and you can only refresh the merchandise by waiting 7 game days or buying everything them leaving the area.

You can only look at your inventory by going to a certain shop, and you can only use items at the time of purchase or in battle when needed.

Random loot from chests means you might never get a weapon suited for your character or play style in a game. And making it mandatory to have a Gold account and interact with other players, not just for achievements but to get all the items in the game.

Librarian Mike

May 16, 2008
For me, I'd have to go with Bioshock. The story was very interesting and Rapture was a stunning environment, but I was 'meh' about the gameplay.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
kane and lynch 2. it has the most despicable cast in video game history, some really cool action pieces, even more horrifying moments than the first game, and a pretty unique style. too bad it was so short and repetitive. also, needed more variety in locations.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I have to say Two Worlds

GREAT ideas.
The ability to take an axe and use it to throw down your enemies shield? Awesome.
Taking an equipped torch and letting you stick it in an enemies face to damage and stun them? Amazing!

Honestly, look through the game, it's FULL of AMAZING ideas that were just executed sloppily. Two Worlds is, to me, the definition of a game that simply needed polish. The foundation's there, and it's a great one, just everything else was put in wrong. I'm really hoping Two Worlds 2 is as amazing as it could be.