Good downloadable Pc games.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
As I shall be purchasing a laptop today for my approaching University studies I was wondering what good downloadable PC games were available preferably in the free variety to stave off loneliness for when nobody is out dancing and the work is done. I'm open to any sort of game providing it's not "Japanese Torture Sim 2000"

henchman4life

Jul 24, 2011
Portal, Portal 2, Team Fortess 2, All the Half-Life's, Amnesia:The Dark Descent, Plants Vs. Zombies, and Minecraft. Those are the standards to get you set up.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
Elder Scrolls Daggerfall
Deus Ex (The original)
Minecraft
Half Life
Dungeon Dragons Online
Doom and Doom2
xcom

kradx

Jul 23, 2008
If you like TBS: The Battle for Wesnoth [http://www.wesnoth.org/]

Team Fortress 2 is fun and is free now.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
henchman4life said:
Portal, Portal 2, Team Fortess 2, All the Half-Life's, Amnesia:The Dark Descent, Plants Vs. Zombies, and Minecraft. Those are the standards to get you set up.
Minecraft and P vs Z are meh. Left for Dead 1 and 2 are really fun for co-op.

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
Free games...

Team Fortress 2
World of Tanks
League of Legends
Space Station 13 (very hard to get into, very fun if you do http://tgstation13.servehttp.com/ )
Transformice (adorable 2d competative/cooperative platformer)

Cheap games...

Steam sales (a given)
http://www.humblebundle.com/ nuff said
Sins of a Solar Empire (crazy space RTS game)
The Stalker games are very good

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
Magicka, Alien Swarm (its free), both L4D, TF2 obviously.

Or just go look up some flash games those can be fun too.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Of the free? Download a emulator and play some classics.
If you don't want to do that, try 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, 6 Days a Sacrifice and Trilby's Notes all were made by yahtzee, these titles are horror games.
For a non horror experience, try Trilby: Art of Theft. Also made by Mister Crowshaw.

On Steam, get a demo, I recommend serious Sam First Encounter's demo, it seems to be rather long. Get some demos of Real Time Strategy games, then you will be more or less set.

Ok, heres some indie titles, this is all I have downloaded, so they ALL work.
Cave Story. [A 2D metroid game, probably a must download for ANY trip.]
Escape from the Underworld. [a metroid style game starring a angel that has fallen.]
Iconoclasts. [a 2D action, Metroid Style side scroller]
Legend of the Princess. [A side scroller staring a princess instead of the hero of time]
Super Crate Box. [a level based arena, 2d shooter.]
The Power. [a 2d metroid style game.]
Super Smash Land. [a game boy pun of Super Smash Brothers]
Knytt. [a exploration game, less action based then below.]
Knytt Stories. [a game that is about collecting, upgrading things, download extra maps before trip for longevity. Search its name then maps.]
L'abbaye Des More. [a 2d plat former, it gets progressively hard]
Iji. [A futurist space shooter, multiple endings.]
Shoot First. [a top down shooter based around finding loot]
Pixel Force: Left 4 Dead. [left 4 dead in 8 bit, best alone.
Pixel Force: Halo. [2d halo done in 8bit. I recommend trying some of his OTHER games too.]
Soundless Mountain. [basically 2-D silent hill 2]
Dwarf Fortress [A real time DWARF simulator of civilization.]

Thats all I can say as of right now, that is enough for muiltiple trips and hours of playing.

Svenparty said:
As I shall be purchasing a laptop today for my approaching University studies I was wondering what good downloadable PC games were available preferably in the free variety to stave off loneliness for when nobody is out dancing and the work is done. I'm open to any sort of game providing it's not "Japanese Torture Sim 2000"
Buddy, all that is above me will stave off countless hours of lonely, try Armor Games, Kongerate and New Grounds.com for all types of flash based games.
For those, I highly recommend you to Con Games, he created a game called Last Stand, those games are quite good zombie games.

*Too find these games, simply search them in google along with the word Download. Cave Story, you have to download a patch for, so make sure to search for ENGLISH patch, read a tutorial for more on the subject.*

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
If you're looking for awesome games with low system requirements for your laptop, look up Torchlight (Diablo-like action RPG), Jamestown (old-school shoot-em-up with coop), Altitude (2D plane fighting game with multiplayer), Mount and Blade (sandbox RPG with best mounted combat of all time), Audiosurf (music rythm racing) etc.

If you're going for Magicka, download the demo before buying it, because it has surprisingly high system requirements and it stutters on my laptop (on which I can play Starcraft 2 on medium graphics settings).

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
First of all, if you like downloading games (legally), get steam. Mass effect 1 & 2, KotOR, Bioshock, and Prototype are all really good.

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
Svenparty said:
Mount and Blade is next to free (15$) and will devour your life if you like sandbox RPG's. I recommend getting the Floris mod for it provided you have a large section of your life you don't mind missing. 380 hours logged so far for me :(

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Some free games which you should chek out:
TF2
Alienswarm
Cavestory

Other reccomendations:
Worms Reloaded
Terarria
Trackmania
Portal 1 and 2
Magicka (If you can run it, as Tzekelkan said, test with the demo first, to check if your laptop can run it.)

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
gog.com has a good selection of games, there are a few free ones too including one of my favourite games - Tyrian.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
There are litteraly too many games/websites that you could ever possibly get through in one lifetime and since everyone has differnce of opinions im not gonna start quoting what i personaly find good, i guess the simply answer is to look on the internet and try a few out, after all if you just want a few hours of entertainment there are countless flash based games playable for free in browser.

Xooiid

Feb 1, 2011
Gonna have to add my GOG.com love to the thread. A friend of mine got me in when it was still in Beta, and I got ahold of Fallout 2, MDK2 and Freespace 2 for less than 20 dollars. Not to mention the descent games...

If you get Steam on your computer, you can go through their selection. You missed the Summer Sales, though, so there is that.

meselfshimself

Aug 31, 2011
Quote "when nobody is out dancing and the work is done"
At Uni?.....I doubt thats ever gonna happen :p

If you have a good internet connection your best bet is to just install Steam, they often do decent offers, plus older games tend to be dirt cheap anyway, also some nice little indie gems on there aswell.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
space pirates and zombies, its a fantastic top down space exploration and combat game, its also got lots and lots of content

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
GoG. Some of their stuff is free (even Ultima IV now), and the rest is dirt-cheap (around $10 or less). Some worthwhile games include Duke Nukem 3D, Neverwinter Nights, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Tyrian, MDK, Dungeon Keeper, Rayman, and Wing Commander: Privateer.

Or try the Touhou games. Really good shmups, and ZUN supports the fans who "pirate" them outside Japan (since they can only be bought there). The fan wiki has links to download all the games, and (except for the newest one) English patches. Here: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki
My personal favorite is Subterranean Animism.