Good Endings that You Didn't Like

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bioshock's (the first one) good ending gave me the creeps.
are you saying that the little sisters become my harem???
WTF??? That's kinda messed up.

EDIT: Nevermind. It was fine. I misinterpreted it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Persona 4 Arena. In fact, I wouldn't even call it a good ending.
It turns out, the real bad guy existence gets revealed at the very end, but we never get stop him, see his face, learn his motivation or know his identity (or fight him in any way). The game doesn't even end in a cliffhanger, since the bad guy runs away and we promise to stop him... eventually.

Please consider this is also the true "100%" ending

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
... no, you adopted them and raised them as your own children. Then they went off, finished university and married someone else and were visiting Jack on his death bed. (where the hell did you even get the harem part from?!)

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
God, no. You're saying that.

OT: I'm more likely to like an unloved game ending than hate a well liked one. I guess I'm just easily pleased. I had no problem with Mass Effect 3, Bioshock
not ending with Andrew Ryan was a little disappointing but not game breaking,
and I actually really liked the ending of The Last of Us.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Karoshi said:
canadamus_prime said:
... no, you adopted them and raised them as your own children. Then they went off, finished university and married someone else and were visiting Jack on his death bed. (where the hell did you even get the harem part from?!)
Well the fact that they were lying DOWN WITH HIM on his death bed. I don't think that's normal for a parental figure unless you're Norman Bates.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Karoshi said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well the fact that they were lying DOWN WITH HIM on his death bed. I don't think that's normal for a parental figure unless you're Norman Bates.
They were standing next to it, not lying down. Although you did make me go back and watch the youtube video. Two are on one side of your bed, three on the other.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Spec Ops: The Line. I took the option to

kill myself, because I honestly believed that was the least destructive choice at that point. What's Walker going to do after he goes home, return to normal life?

Also, The Reichenbach Fall from Sherlock. Bear in mind that the whole episode had the same premise as Doctor Who: A Good Man Goes to War, which I absolutely loved.
It's got a previously anonymous hero finding out he's become a legend, which kicks ass at first, but quickly backfires and causes him to sink to his lowest point. Now, this worked in Doctor Who, where the main character has been traveling through history's greatest moments, causing the rise and fall of civilizations throughout the galaxy for hundreds of years. There is actually a reason people would have heard of him, whereas Sherlock is just a detective with a blog about news stories that normally wouldn't escape a police blotter that he personally claims to have been involved in. Has he really solved enough mysteries to become a celebrity after only 6 episodes when the Doctor took 32 seasons and a TV movie to become that famous? Yes, I know he's solved other mysteries not including the ones in the episodes, but one man can only solve so many murders, unless England has somehow become a warzone overnight.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Mraio Sunshine's 100% complete ending.You get a post card saying you're a super player...all that work for NOTHING!!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Anezay said:
canadamus_prime said:
Karoshi said:
canadamus_prime said:
They were standing next to it, not lying down. Although you did make me go back and watch the youtube video. Two are on one side of your bed, three on the other.
Ok I just re-watched that on Youtube and it seems I was incorrect in my interpretation.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
HannesPascal said:
King of Asgaard said:
Infamous 2's good ending really rubbed me the wrong way.
Basically, there comes the choice of whether to activate the RSI, potentially curing all people in the world of the disease (which conduits are immune to) but also killing all current conduits, or joining the Beast to help in awakening the conduit gene in the populace, curing the plague in those individuals, but killing the rest.

Now I chose the latter, because in my mind, the conduits are the superior people. In choosing the 'good' ending, you're essentially halting humanity's evolution, at least for the foreseeable future. It feels wrong just to kill off the stronger beings just to keep the inferior populace in the status quo.

I should point out that I'm a Magneto supporter, in case that wasn't already apparent. :p
Lets not forget that the RSI might cure the people from the plague, but you don't know that for sure. So it was a choice between committing genocide on the conduits so the rest of the humans might be cured or committing genocide on the normal humans to create as many conduits as possible that you know for sure will survive. A good twist to the infamous 2 ending would have been that the RSI kills the conduits but fails to cure people from the plague.
Zeke always kinda pissed me off on this. He's like "well you got to do the right thing man, you can't commit genocide on the normal humans man, man I'm your fiend, you can't condem me to die, man" while demanding his friend to commit genocide on the conduits and kill himself. What? Not wanting to die and not committing suicide is not really a bad thing in my book, so I really don't view Infamous 2's endings as good and evil.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Edl01 said:
Mraio Sunshine's 100% complete ending.You get a post card saying you're a super player...all that work for NOTHING!!!
In all honesty, what were you truly expecting?

The same sort of thing happens when you complete your Pokedex in any given Pokemon game, after all.

OT: Banjo Tooie. Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved the final battle sequence and the cutscene that followed.

It was a combination of the hollow promise Grunty made as her head was being kicked around and what we actually got 8 years later that made the ending rather sour from a personal perspective.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Z of the Na said:
Edl01 said:
In all honesty, what were you truly expecting?

The same sort of thing happens when you complete your Pokedex in any given Pokemon game, after all.

OT: Banjo Tooie. Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved the final battle sequence and the cutscene that followed.

It was a combination of the hollow promise Grunty made as her head was being kicked around and what we actually got 8 years later that made the ending rather sour from a personal perspective.
Wow I failed at splling Mario.
And what I was expecting? Well did you play Mario 64? Where you got infinite lives, that is pretty cool. A post card for completing all of the missions is just a waste.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Another one that bugs me is the good endig to Fable II and I'm not talking about the shitty boss fight or lack there of. No I'm talking about your choice of a wish to make.
You can choose to restore everyone who died in the spire, restore your sister and dog, or infinite wealth. What bugs me is why you have to choose between the tower victims and your loved ones. Why can't you have both? Can't you word the wish like a wish to Shenron? You know, wish for all of Lucien's victims to be returned to life.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The original Dungeon Siege. Love that game to death, and then you defeat Gom and then the loot drops and you get a chat window that says congrats on beating Gom and now you can free roam or load your character into the multiplayer if you want. (Still remember the first time I logged onto that. I was mesmerized by the flying players. This was also before i knew what hacks were.)

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
You mean an ending that made perfect sense in the context of the plot but I got all pissy about it anyway because it's not what I wanted to see happen with the characters?

HELL YEAH THAT'S HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!

Old example: Das Boot, a movie about a German U-Boat crew during WW2 that survives against all odds and then the allies just bomb them after they make it to the surface. I was like OH FUCK! Oh they were Nazis. It doesn't matter I liked those characters and FUCK YOU ALLIES!!!

There are a lot of examples, none jump out at me.

Mostly they're happy endings that come out of nowhere. Like "You saved the day and got the girl! Yay!" and I'm sitting there like: did you really have to be that boring? And they were like: Yes, look at who we're marketing to! We can't put anything meaty for the audience to think about at the end of the movie!!!

But I call those bad endings because they offer closure but not any sense of satisfaction, but that's me being picky.

That's when you won't be shocked to believe that I've only seen 6 truly great endings ever (Bonus points if you can guess what they are!)

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Raine_sage said:
Dragon's dogma.
Exius Xavarus said:
This is pretty much what I came in here to say. So I'll just echo this. :D

If you want to know what happened, you can either complete the game a second time (be sure to LOAD, not NEW) or read the spoiler.

Your old self is the new Seneschal-- although the game only has one campaign, and therefore seems stuck in time with each new game plus. Regardless, the implication is that if you become Seneschal, the cycle just continues. The end boss of your next game will be your old self, and once he or she is defeated you'll be faced with the same choice.

OT: Final Fantasy VIII.

Was Squall dead from the end of disc 1 (as discussed on squallsdead.com)? If so... well... Oh. If not, then what the hell?!

Edalborez

Jun 23, 2013
Nier, true ending. I only dislike it from the perspective of gameplay. For those who don't remember or don't mind being spoiled...
To save a person's life, you must erase yourself from existence. Literally. The game warns you ~4 times and then deletes all save data. She lives happily ever after.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Red Dead Redemption:

It was a good ending. It resolved everything that needed to be resolved, tied all the loose threads together and finished the story in an almost tear-inducing manner that made me think about the game's story for days after finishing it.

That said, seeing John Marston, a character I've grown attached to over the course of the game and indeed, one of the most memorable and well-defined protagonists I've come across get murdered in such a cruel, degrading and unfair manner made me cringe.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Candidus said:
Raine_sage said:
Dragon's dogma.
Exius Xavarus said:
This is pretty much what I came in here to say. So I'll just echo this. :D

If you want to know what happened, you can either complete the game a second time (be sure to LOAD, not NEW) or read the spoiler.

Your old self is the new Seneschal-- although the game only has one campaign, and therefore seems stuck in time with each new game plus. Regardless, the implication is that if you become Seneschal, the cycle just continues. The end boss of your next game will be your old self, and once he or she is defeated you'll be faced with the same choice.
Yes, I'm well aware of what's happening. I've beaten the game at least 10 times. :p I was just echoing that I didn't particularly like the ending. :x