Good Faith Transactions

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
I was watching a, "Clean Price Gaming," youtube video and it was about people mining infinite items in Fall Out 76 and selling those items through ebay. After the item sold, the seller would meet up with you in game to give you those items. The youtuber uses the term, "Good Faith Transaction," to describe this sell of items. I have never heard a better description of selling in game items, through non legitimate means.

I have been on both sides of a good faith transaction, EA had a Need for Speed MMO where the in game currency had a different price based on the country you where in. At first you could just change what country you were in and pay with paypal to get a better price on the in game currency. I think EA ended up adding a I.P address checker to fix this. A friend, of a friend, of a friend, who was from Poland, would charge a small fee and add the in game currency to your account. All you had to do was send him money through paypal and give him your password and login. A guy I had never met before hooked m up with cheap in game currency.

I was also on the other side of this. EA sent out a survey and if you completed the survey you got a 10 dollar coupon to the origin store. The Coupon didn't have a minimum purchase and could be used 3 times per origin account instead being a one time use code. People who I never met before and where from different countries. Gave me their password and login information, to add the In game currency to their account. I did it for free and didn't rip them off.

Has anyone been in a good faith transactions where you hoped the other party didn't screw you over or you did the right thing.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
kilenem said:
Has anyone been in a good faith transactions where you hoped the other party didn't screw you over or you did the right thing.
Yes kind off, back in 2013-2014 during and a couple months after high school me and my buddies spent a lot of time buying and selling CSGO items for profit to sustain ourselves. If you're the one buying you always go first with the money and I bought a lot of stuff, but not before making sure who the guy I was buying from was and then I sold the items for profit. Did this for a year or two and was never scammed.

I would never trust in complete anons though.

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
I did once in DDO back around launch, it was all very shady as i recall. Placed my order for the things i wanted and was told to be in the harbor tavern at X time and meet with an elf wearing a certain helmet, saw them opened the trade window they gave me my items, and they logged off nothing said.

While i wouldn't (and didn't) do it again it is something that you have to be willing to take the loss on.

Apr 5, 2008
While it's different in the case of a friend of a friend, I would analogise gold-farmers with this exact thing. You send real money, usually via PayPal, and you get a whisper in-game to trade, whereby the gold farmer transfers over your purchase. It might be one step removed, insofar as it's a business, with a web site and often multiple paid services, but ultimately you're still sending real money to a stranger for in-game items with no real guarantee that you'll get what you paid for.

The good sites do develop reputations tho, some seem to even have customer service people and price promises and all sorts of things like that. There's always a risk shopping on the grey market however, both that you might not get what you pay for and further, that if such a trade is against a EULA, getting caught.

I think I made one trade that would qualify. I briefly played DOTA2 (still like watching it on occasion) and wanted some nice items for my favourite Phantom Assassin ("How many daggers am I holding up?" 😁). Often times tho some of the nice items can only be gifted, not traded or marketed. A lot of steam trades are for keys (to open crates in CSGO, TF2 and other such things) so I bought the 2-3 keys, gifted them to the other guy and he then gifted my the items. We had to be Steam friends for two weeks first...thank heavens he had the patience to wait when he agreed to trade. I did get my item, can't remember what it was. There was another PA set I really, really wanted that was only giftable but I missed out on it, too much demand.

bobdark said:
I did once in DDO back around launch, it was all very shady as i recall. Placed my order for the things i wanted and was told to be in the harbor tavern at X time and meet with an elf wearing a certain helmet, saw them opened the trade window they gave me my items, and they logged off nothing said.
That is so cool that I want to play this game just to have this happen. The only way it could've been cooler is if you'd used code-phrases.

"The orcs are restless this time of year."
"Yes, but at least the trolls are hibernating."
"You have item?" *drops gold purse on table*
*slides Bag of Holding with his foot*

Out of curiosity, what's the game like? How would it compare with Neverwinter? How D&D is it?