Good gaming laptop that can work for swtor?

Wolfy2447

Oct 4, 2011
Hello I intend to get a laptop because i am moving a lot can cant bring the desktop with me everywhere so i have to get a laptop even though they are not the best for games so lets discuss my options and not why laptops have issues with games, heating issues etc

Generally i want it to play swtor as good as possible and maybe be able to
I have no interested in graphic games like crisis etc or newer games so the main uses of the pc will be internet/school/old games/swtor and maybe some new games like mass effect 3. So i dont need to worry if it gets outdated very soon as long as i can play swtor at high settings without any fps issue or graphic issue and can play some newer games without fps issues at low settings at least.

The amount i can spend on it is somewhere around 1000 so I would really like suggestions from experts since if i go alone i ll probably get a crappy expensive computer since there are 123721 gaming laptop sites...

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
1000 what?

Dollars? Pounds? Dog biscuits? Happy thoughts?

Giving us a currency will speed this along nicely.

Wolfy2447

Oct 4, 2011
Appleshampoo said:
1000 what?

Dollars? Pounds? Dog biscuits? Happy thoughts?

Giving us a currency will speed this along nicely.
dollars and doggy biscuits

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Wolfy2447 said:
Hmm dont you pay the brand more than the actual efficiency in alienware?
True, but you do for any dedicated gaming laptop.

Now I've heard that the Asus Republic of Gamers line is pretty good, and not quite as expensive as Alienware, but not as robust. Also if you're not wanting it to be as graphically intensive you could probably get away with something like a Dell XPS. However as I have no personal experience with these brands you'd probably want to check them against the specs of the games you want to play.

Wolfy2447

Oct 4, 2011
drakythe said:
Also http://www.ibuypower.com/ has some pretty decent laptops for a fair price.
hmm thats interesting. Really good, but i would still like to hear more opinions since pc industry is probably thriving on ignorance of their over 9000 traps xD

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Wolfy2447 said:
Not my experence.

M11x, 700$, can run Crysis on medium settings.

It also has great battery life, and portibility.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Wolfy2447 said:
Not my experence.

M11x, 700$, can run Crysis on medium settings.

It also has great battery life, and portibility.
The only "gaming" laptop I would ever consider, if only because it is unique. I'd never buy a laptop larger than 14" and favour my netbook over all others for its portability. Do you have an i5, i7, model or the OCed SU chip? If my netbook ever dies that is what I will replace it with.

You shouldn't need a gaming laptop to play an MMO. Netbooks will play WoW at the lowest settings. I'd be looking at a 13" laptop with a mid range GPU. SW:TOR doesn't look like it will need much oomf.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Wolfy2447 said:
drakythe said:
Also http://www.ibuypower.com/ has some pretty decent laptops for a fair price.
hmm thats interesting. Really good, but i would still like to hear more opinions since pc industry is probably thriving on ignorance of their over 9000 traps xD
For what its worth, I am speaking from personal experience on this one. The laptop I currently use cost me just shy of 1500 and will run every game I've thrown at it thus far. Though to be fair, the most intensive process I have thrown at it was running a minecraft server, the game client, and a virtual machine all at once. It handled it like a champ, and MC was running a cool 200+ FPS. 1500 is a bit over what you're looking to spend, but its also a bit more of a machine than I think you're going after.