Good Guys Who Get Away With Bad Stuff.

EvilEggCracker

Apr 2, 2011
The Serpent said:
I also have a problem with how Batman handles villains. I get that he's going for the whole ?I can not decide who lives and who dies, because I'm so powerful and influential that if I become an executioner everyone is screwed.? I'm sorry Batman, but the villains you throw in Arkham are just going to escape and kill many innocent people. You're going to have to just deal with your inner demons and difficult moral choices because by being a wimp you are letting people die that you could have saved. I'm not saying that I'm for the death-penalty, but when someone is dangerous and impossible to control and the world is better with said person dead; they should be killed.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. And the needs of Batman.
Not at all. The thing that is to blame in the Batman universe is the justice system in Gotham City. They really need to get better facilities for their criminally insane.

And every single character (including player characters) in every single MMO needs to be arrested for so many reasons. Murder, theft, assault, duress etc. etc. These people aren't heroes, they're insane!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Sometimes, I wonder why no one called me out on the fact I fucking killed hundreds in the fallout games.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I hate heroes anyway. Somehow the selfless heroic paragon of humanity archetype feels prepostrous to me. Realists-- sorry, cynics is what people like to call me, don't really buy that a person can truly be a hero because in the end the motivation will be selfish or the rigid moral code will break and the superman will turn insane. A hero would require a foundation of order the world has never and will never display.

That being said, Batman. In Arkham Asylum he constantly leaves people right in a position of danger and acts surprise when the Joker kills them. If you can invent foaming explosives, a portable frequency scrambler so potent it can cause electronic devices to explode and a utility belt that can hold an infinite supply of magical boomerangs that cut rope but never human flesh, WHY THE FUCK COULDN'T YOU INVENT AN AUTO-DEFENSE SYSTEM THAT COULD KEEP THE CIVILIANS OF ARKHAM ASYLUM SAFE? And why couldn't he invent wittier quips? "I eat guys like that for breakfast?" Are you Batman or a brain damaged Hannibal Lecter? Oh, here's another one: WHY DIDN'T YOU HAVE ALL YOUR GADGETS ON YOU FROM THE GET GO? And why wasn't he watching the Joker's financial records if he knew his aliases? The entire fucking assault could have been prevented if Batman was actually vigilant.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
MrJKapowey said:
In The Mentalist,
Patrick Jane shot Red John three times in the chest with a revolver in the middle of a shopping mall (Red John is the serial killer in the background every so often and who also killed Jane's family). He will get off.
I don't think so:
He killed Red John, who was not threatening his life, therefore he cannot claim self defence, and there will be multiple video cameras around the mall that will prove Red John, although armed, was not pointing the gun at Jane. He did not show any remorse or regret for his killing (sat down and finished his tea) and was caught by the Mall police at the scene of the crime. There has to be a court case, and he will at least get manslaughter charges, but more probably murder, as he is not a police officer, the gun was probably unlicenced and illegal, and at the end of it all the olny evidence he has that the dude really was Red John was that his phone was used to contact the sleeper agent in the police, and he told Jane what his family smelled like. The ending was deliberately bleak, we don't even know if Lisbon survived the shooting.
Sorry for that wall of angry text, I have just spent a year as a student and I probably spent more time watching the Mentalist than in lectures or doing work.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I think Duke Nukem is a tad sexist.
That's like saying that the ocean is a bit damp.

Batman has some serious issues involving rubber and young boys that he needs to work out.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Every protagonist is going to have some critics. Hell, I'm pretty sure that if anyone saw everything you did, they'd chide you for it. It's because people have their own subjective view of what's good.

Some people liked FDR. Some people think FDR was satan incarnate. Some people liked Reagan. Some people thought Reagan was an incompetent cowboy. Who is right?

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
What about power rangers? They destroy half the damn city and no one seems to care. It's rebuilt by the next episode. Taxes must be ridiculous where they live.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
Sometimes, I wonder why no one called me out on the fact I fucking killed hundreds in the fallout games.
Its the world you live it. It is cutthroat with many people who want to kill you, so you just defend yourself. Of course that assumes you are good. If you are bad nobody really has the power to stop you.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
I've been rereading Harry Potter and it amazes me how often they seem to let him off the hook for breaking rules for the sole fact that's he Harry Potter. At the end of Prisoner of Azkaban, Fudge even admits that Harry won't be punished because he's Harry Potter.

Edit: Another one. Though the Hardy Boys never actually do anything wrong, they have been accused numerous times and get let go right away simply because their father is Fenton Hardy.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
MrJKapowey said:
In The Mentalist,
Patrick Jane shot Red John three times in the chest with a revolver in the middle of a shopping mall (Red John is the serial killer in the background every so often and who also killed Jane's family). He will get off.
I don't think so:
He killed Red John, who was not threatening his life, therefore he cannot claim self defence, and there will be multiple video cameras around the mall that will prove Red John, although armed, was not pointing the gun at Jane. He did not show any remorse or regret for his killing (sat down and finished his tea) and was caught by the Mall police at the scene of the crime. There has to be a court case, and he will at least get manslaughter charges, but more probably murder, as he is not a police officer, the gun was probably unlicenced and illegal, and at the end of it all the olny evidence he has that the dude really was Red John was that his phone was used to contact the sleeper agent in the police, and he told Jane what his family smelled like. The ending was deliberately bleak, we don't even know if Lisbon survived the shooting.
Sorry for that wall of angry text, I have just spent a year as a student and I probably spent more time watching the Mentalist than in lectures or doing work.
Wow, I can see you've put some effort into this BUT you've ignored the most important factor in a situation like this:

It wouldn't be 'The Mentalist' without the character whose title is 'The Mentalist'.

They've already announced the next season in the UK (did it at the end of that show) so it can't be that it's ended.

If Jane was gone from the next series then it would be like NCIS with no Naval personnel and no Investigative bits.

It would be like 'Our War' but showing footage from a conflict which HM armed forces played no part. (Incidently, my cadet group OC is in the first episode of that. Now Capt. Bjorn Rose of the 7 Rifles)

They will contrive a way to keep him in, I think it's most likely that he'll be being tried and about to be sentanced then the rest (Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt) will find evidence that he was Red John. Despite thi, I do think it was a tad stupid - he should've rugby tackled Red John to the floor and tied him before calling the team/police.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009

Your thread reminds me of this video, sums up all RPG hero's pretty nicely don't you think? Maybe next time your breaking all the shit in some poor NPC's house looking for the 4 gold they had hidden away you'll think twice.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well Goku suffered severe brain damage so the real question is why did they let that retard run free.

But prettymuch any hero ever, they don't mind leveling half the city if it leads to capturing some cartoonish villian.
In RL they would haveto start selling their heroic ass on street corners to pay off all the damage.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Kiefer13 said:
It's difficult to think of many games (especially RPGs) where a protagonist doesn't get away with at least trespassing, vandalism and rampant kleptomania on a regular basis.
I just finished Dungeon Siege III, where I spent more time ripping the pants off the heroic dead then I did fighting for Justice. I also blatantly robbed shrines of relics that were sacred to My Own Order for gold, and this was considered a good thing.

And on TV side, there's House, the druggie doctor who gets away with everything short of Murder for 6 years (Plus the innumerable years the show doesn't catalog).

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Horatio Caine from CSI: Miami. When the series first started he was supposed to be an incorruptible white knight type character, but since his wife died, he seems like he should be on The Shield, rather than a CSI. Would not want to be a suspect in his care...