Good indies on PS4

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Recently got into indie games. Always appreciate a good story but lately I'm focusing more on getting my money's worth of content through procedural generation or the game being designed around wildly different playthroughs, ie. Binding of Isaac, Stardew Valley, FTL, etc. Even something as simple as getting a higher score like Overcooked or honing down a run to perfection like Superhot or Hotline Miami, or a Metroidvania (separate note - recommend good Metroidvanias).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Super Meat Boy
Nex Machina
Bro-Force
Cuphead
The TakeOver (when it finally comes out on PS4)
Fight N Rage
Blazing Chrome
Hong Kong Massacre
Ninja Saviors

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't play too many of those but Darkest Dungeon is a ton of fun.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Hollow Knight

It's really, really, REALLY good.

That is all.
^^^This but x 1000 with a glass of arsenic wine to dull any heightened expectations.

Dead Cells is good.
Alienation
Helldivers
The Sexy Brutale
Guacamelee 2 and maybe Steamworld Heist and Steamworld Dig 2
Neon Chrome and/or Jydge

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Recently got into indie games. Always appreciate a good story but lately I'm focusing more on getting my money's worth of content through procedural generation or the game being designed around wildly different playthroughs, ie. Binding of Isaac, Stardew Valley, FTL, etc. Even something as simple as getting a higher score like Overcooked or honing down a run to perfection like Superhot or Hotline Miami, or a Metroidvania (separate note - recommend good Metroidvanias).

Hmmm...Metroidvania...

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It’s basically a spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night and it is well worth checking out.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Digging into my indie library on PS4, lets see...

7 Days to Die, Absolver, Astroneer, Battle Chasers : Nightwar, Brawlhalla, Child of Light (being a bit loose with indie here, though I'd say it fits), Counterspy, Dust : An Elysian Tale, Helldivers, Hob, Journey to the Savage Planet, Kiling Floor 2 (asterisk that one cause its not great SP at all), Outward, Pixark (if they manage to not horribly break it and take months to fix the patch again), Portal Knights, Rebel Galaxy, Remnant from the Ashes, Salt and Sanctuary, Steamworld Dig, Steamworld Heist, Terraria, Trailmakers.

I'm in the midst of Generation Zero as well, too early to comment on though it seems promising.

(I put the bolds on the procedural generated ones, to the original request. Italics for the Metroid vanias)

Battle Chasers and Child of Light are both JRPG-throwbacks of sorts (though neither is Japanese in origin),/ Rebel Galaxy is something of a space sim. Outward is a very niche sort of CRPG/ARPG/Survival game hybrid that I'd probably recommend pre-researching cause its either going to be a favorite or you will despise every aspect of it. Trailmakers is a build-your-own=vehicles sim, but also has a sort of open-world metroidvania campaign mode (you need to scavenge parts to build vehicles to get other parts and eventually complete it), and also just has a grand prix racing campaign mode, along with some sandbox options.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well Hollow Knight was already mentioned but I too love metroidvanias so here are some other ones that are great.

Axiom Verge (this one is really close to metoid)
Iconoclasts (a somewhat similar structure with a more interesting story then most have)
Touhou Luna Nights (Not sure if this is on ps4 but its really solid with great art, a bit short though)
Yoku's Island Express (this has the feel of metroid but its actually a pinball exploration game, nothing else like it but its really charming)
MO: Astray (not sure if this is on ps4 either but its a really cool game, more linear than most metroidvanias, it still has a similar feel and is very cool)
Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom (a really good sequel to the wonderboy series that happens to share a lot in common with metroidvania games)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Cuphead, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Salt & Sanctuary, Blasphemous, Owlboy, Blazing Chrome, Valfaris, Dead Cells, Children of Morta, Below, Dark Devotion..there is tons.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Tons of good posted so far, so here are some good 'uns that haven't been mentioned yet. You haven't specified platforms, so I tried picking stuff that gives you options in that regard, as well as a goodly amount of genres and styles:

Crosscode
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Hyper Light Drifter
OneShot
Inside
Satellite Reign
A Hat in Time
Dusk
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (the other games are fine, but this is imo the best one)
Ape Out
The Witness
The Touryst
Sonic Mania
What Remains of Edith Finch
A Short Hike
Paratopic
Panzer Paladin
Shovel Knight
Moonlighter
Kentucky Route Zero
The Escapists 1 and/or 2
Valiant Hearts
20XX
Pathologic 1 and/or 2
Into The Breach
La Mulana 1 and/or 2
Risk of Rain 1 and/or 2
Minoria
Supraland
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Ultrakill
Katana Zero
Enter the Gungeon
Night in the Woods
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Temtem
Slay the Spire
Disco Elysium
Kerbal Space Program
Ion Fury

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Tons of good posted so far, so here are some good 'uns that haven't been mentioned yet. You haven't specified platforms, so I tried picking stuff that gives you options in that regard, as well as a goodly amount of genres and styles:

Hyper Light Drifter
OneShot
Inside

What Remains of Edith Finch

Kentucky Route Zero

Valiant Hearts

Night in the Woods

Disco Elysium
Kerbal Space Program
Marry me.

My wife will understand :)

Reactions: Chimpzy

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Holy shit, how did I forget Supergiant Games? Shameful omissions, I am not worthy of breath. Them too; Transistor, Bastion, Pyre (Hades soon, hopefully)