Good meat recipes

Maniclings

Jan 14, 2010
Hi so I have been a vegetarian since I was very young and my partner wants me to start eating meat, I have agreed to eating free range as long as he changes to free range also... but the problem is for the most part meat tastes kinda bad to me... I just taste the proteins and fats in it fairly strongly and well chicken tastes like off milk for example ;/.

Anyway does anyone know of some ways of cooking meats so that you bring out other flavors besides the proteins and also how to avoid the fatty tastes as well.

Please this is not a discussion about vegetarian vs meat blah blah I just want to know some cooking methods people use to make their food with meat in it taste nice.

Some extra info
I was ok when he got me to start eating fish, the flavors I guess are more delicate or something but I like fish and have no problem with the taste.
I have tried some smoked quail and I do like the taste of smoked food, but it is like super super hard to find free range smoked food T_T.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Look up a few japanese recipes. They tend to be on the leaner side. I cooked a mean ground-beef sukiyaki (it's easy to remove most of the fat from minced meat) in Miyajima earlier this year, and the flavour comes from the other ingredients rather than the beef, which mostly adds a nice texture.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Yeah, I think minced meat and burgers are easier to eat for most people who are not that much into meat.
[small] Chicken tastes like milk o_O[/small]

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
You just need to get used to it. Plain meat is amazingly delicious but of course I have been eating it my whole life. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm steak.

Try adding it in slowly with stir fry or fried rice.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Maniclings said:
Hi so I have been a vegetarian since I was very young and my partner wants me to start eating meat, I have agreed to eating free range as long as he changes to free range also... but the problem is for the most part meat tastes kinda bad to me... I just taste the proteins and fats in it fairly strongly and well chicken tastes like off milk for example ;/.

Anyway does anyone know of some ways of cooking meats so that you bring out other flavors besides the proteins and also how to avoid the fatty tastes as well.

Please this is not a discussion about vegetarian vs meat blah blah I just want to know some cooking methods people use to make their food with meat in it taste nice.

Some extra info
I was ok when he got me to start eating fish, the flavors I guess are more delicate or something but I like fish and have no problem with the taste.
I have tried some smoked quail and I do like the taste of smoked food, but it is like super super hard to find free range smoked food T_T.
Veggie from birth here so I can sympathise with growing up not liking it.

Probably best to start with things with some meat as an ingredient like lasagne, chilli, stew, that kind of thing. If you like fish then that certainly expands on your options. Anything that could be thought of as Mexican cuisine would probably be good because it masks the flavour and combines it with other stuff pretty well.
But if you don't like it, you don't like it. I knew someone who made themselves really ill by transitioning from veggie to meat too fast, so take it easy! (Not meant to be an unbearable pro-veggie statement - apparently you can get the same thing by transitioning off meat too fast also).

Tangentially, I used to go out with a non-veggie, and found there are a surprising number of meals you can do where one of you can have meat and the other not (or in your case have less and build up). Homemade pizzas, pasta or risotto dishes where you just cook the meat separately and add to one portion, anything where you put ingredients in after cooking (think fajitas), even doing a roast dinner and substituting the meat for a nut roast or something.
I'm sure there were more impressive examples of meat avoidance ingenuity on my part, but this was years ago and I can't remember!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
One of my favorites is 'mayo chicken', but as chicken tastes funny to you, adding a bunch of mayo and sharp cheese to it may not be a good thing. Anyway, you butterfly the breast, pan-fry it until it's browned, then put it in a pan for the oven (make sure it's on a grill/riser thing so the juices drip through), add some spices to the chicken - I use a roasted red pepper and garlic mix, then spread some mayo on top of the chicken, add a bit more spide, then a layer of parmesan/asiago/some hard cheese of choice and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350. Chicken comes out super moist and tasty, but it's a heavy meal. I usually eat it with basmati rice and pan-fried brussels sprouts with onions.

Otherwise, I do a homemade pasta with sliced and fried zucchini, onions, cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic and that red pepper spice, then add some pasta to the pan, mix it all up and enjoy. I'll either add beef or chicken, depending on what I have - you just start by cooking the meat and onions together, then add the zucchini, then the tomatoes just before the pasta, and enjoy. You can use very little meat if you like.

Also maybe try adding some meat to salads - I make a chicken caesar salad, too. Add either BBQ sauce or, my favourite, a sweet and spicy thai sauce to the chicken, and top your salad with it.

Pork is also an option to all the above, as well. Find which meat tastes best to you.

Also try getting plain slabs of salmon and cedar wood planks. You soak the cedar wood for a few hours, start up the BBQ (or oven), put the salmon right on top of the cedar, and cook. So simple and a very good smoked taste, like you said you enjoy.