Good MMORPG other than WoW?!?!

Drpineapple

Mar 26, 2009
A few mates and I were planning on starting a mmorpg for the summer but we have all done WoW before.

We were thinking of playing age of reckoning but are there any other good ones you can think of for us to play?

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
I liked Lord of the Rings Online. Pretty nice community, a lot of great features, and it's been around awhile so there's been a lot of patching/improvements. I hear it's pretty similar to WoW (well, what MMO isn't?), but I found that simply exploring the game world is more fun than in most other MMOs. It's got good classes, cool items, decent crafting, and fun party-level attacks (fellowship combos). Check it out if you're into MMOs.

EDIT: I know community is important, and I wanted to highlight LOTRO's community. In the year or so that I played this game, I never put a single player on "ignore" because they were annoying (except for the random gold spammer). Ever. The players mostly seem concerned with having a good time and completing quests, not running around like assholes yelling about their "phat lewt."

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Do you want something like WoW? LotrO.
Do you want something 'harder' than WoW? EvE. (more risk and such)
Do you want something different? City of Heroes.
Do you want a fantasy theme? Wait for Darkfall.
Do you want a sci-fi theme? Wait for TOR.
Do you want MMOFPS? Wait for Huxley/The Agency/Global Agenda.
Do you want MMORTS/M:TG? BattleForge (try a demo or something).

The_Rev

Mar 26, 2009
I've only ever played DDO, although I'm thinking about going to LotR...

DDo has some great content, and considering they do no advertising, the developers continue to add some good stuff. Considering the average age of player tends to be higher for DDo than for WoW, it surprises me how much whinging goes on over there.... :-/

PC Gamer came out with a list last month of 8 other MMO's besides WoW that were out there, give it a look!

titoisme

Dec 20, 2008
I've played LOTRO since beta and I haven't stopped enjoying it, so I'm partial there ;)

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
Yeah I JUST started LOTRO because I was bored of WoW, and although it's incredibly similar to WoW, it's mostly in controls and the GUI, not so much the actual content.

So for me at least, it's familiar and easy to grasp, but it still is different enough to peak my interests. It also has some really cool features that aren't available in WoW. (You can set your family tree, you can write a character bio in game, you can buy a house, etc.)

Not only that, but if you try it and like it, you can pay a one time flat fee and get a lifetime subscription to the game, and never have to pay ever again, even for expansions. Your characters/account will never be deleted. (Depending on where you live, the lifetime fee changes, but it is 299.00$ US/367.00$ CD.

Evilenzo

Mar 26, 2009
I took part in the beta of WAR, I really liked it, especially for the setting. As soon as i'll be able i'm going to subscribe to it!

darksaiyan

Oct 14, 2008
If you wanna pay money for it, try Warhammer Online. Has more emphasis on PvP than Wow and is fun enough.

For free, there are other MMOs which are good. Atlantica Online has a Final Fantasy style gameplay which is refreshing and fun. Runes of Magic is almost a WoW clone, for free.

Droids_Rule

Mar 26, 2009
I like both WAR and City of Heroes, but they're massively different games from both each other and from WoW. The former is highly PvP-oriented, with the PvE game there only for posterity and some phat lewt, and the latter is entirely oriented to casual, team players, with a ton of great quests and storyline and character creation, but not much meat in the competitive atmosphere.

rosseloh

Mar 19, 2009
Heh, this is probably a bad time to say this, what with Turbine being so "controversial" in the March Mayhem thing...

Anyway, give Lord of the Rings Online a try. Similar to WoW (although, to me, nowhere near as similar as some people make it out to be), but very different in its own way. Great visuals, great community, great content, and absolutely the best backstory of any MMO I've seen yet. You just can't beat Tolkien.

If you do give it a try, look up Turnholm on Nimrodel if you need pointers. ;-)

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Ahh the acronyms!

But I dunno' I heard Runes of Magic isn't bad for a free MMO, I only play WoW myself though.

kateatsmouse

Apr 15, 2008
I don't play WoW, because I am broke and don't like hacking things.
I play Guild Wars, which I honestly think would be much less fun if I wasn't playing with friends from real life. They're actually the only reason I started playing.

hell4raizer

Feb 20, 2008
Valience, is TOR you mentioned (sci-fi) The Old Republic? the new Star Wars mmorpg? if so that looks sick and am very interested in trying that out. hopfully it wont be the poopstick galaxies was (in the ways it was), at least improved graphics and more fun to play with friends. Why havent they created a mmorpg with the gameplay like SW jedi knight 2 outcast, instead of point in click? I'd be addicted to it!