*Good* Modern Single Player Shooters (PC Preferred).

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Really in the mood for one. Any suggestions?

I really like games where I get to shoot large varieties of monsters with powerful weapons. Extra points for good graphics and cool bosses.

Have played:
- Wolfenstein: The New Order.
- Bioshock and Infinite.
- Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon.
- Crysis 1, 2 and 3.
- Borderlands 1 and 2 (and PS).
- Serious Sam 1, 2 and 3.
- Painkiller.

Haven't played (yet) but contemplating.
- Singularity.
- Dues Ex: HR.
- Lost Planet 3.

Anything I've missed?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Deus Ex:HR is a good game, but it's not much of a shooter. It's kind of a hybrid shooter/sneaker/lightweight RPG. And "cool bosses" is not a charge I'd ever lay on it.

What you're describing sounds almost like one of those Serious Sam style shoot-a-thons. One of those unabashed throwback games that don't bother trying to be anything but a corridor shooter with a billion zillion enemies and guns.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I don't recommend Lost Planet 3. Even I, as somebody with a tolerance for mediocrity and a grand lover of snow settings, couldn't really get invested with the game. The combat is just tedious and the story hamfisted. I think the combat could have been vastly improved by having the pistol fire faster, but instead it's just a case of firing over and over again until the beast falls down with little impact felt by it. It looks beautiful and I'm a sucker for the snow setting as I've said, but it's not worth it.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Transformers War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron. I'm sure if the lobbies are dead but the best part of War for Cybertron was hte horde mode. It was perfect. With out its like a 7 out of 10 but Fall of Cyber tron is a solid 8. Great Campaign and a variety of Combat.

Also the borderlands series is one the best new first person shooters. Although the Pre Sequel is a giant step in the wrong Direction I would avoid that and play 1 and 2. There is a rumor Borderlands might get remastered but you could probably by a complete edition of BL1 for 5 bucks on a PC sale 10 bucks for 2 v.s the 50 dollar remaster. I would give both a a 9 out of ten but Borderlands Graphics are pretty dated.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Oh, I played BL2 to death. Not...really a shooter exactly but still one hell of a game. Will add it to OP actually.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Metro reduxes? Rise of the Triad 2013? Although ROTT may not so much count as "modern" since it's a reboot of a 90's shooter. Still very good in my opinion though.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Starbird said:
Really in the mood for one.
Here's two!

Shadow Warrior 2013 and Hard Reset: Extended Edition. Don't even think about it. Just buy both and your life will be instantly improved.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Starbird said:
Really in the mood for one.
Here's two!

Shadow Warrior 2013 and Hard Reset: Extended Edition. Don't even think about it. Just buy both and your life will be instantly improved.
Gah I knew I was forgetting something.

I really liked the gun aesthetic in Hard Reset. Haven't gotten around to Shadow Warrior but I bought it during a recent steam sale (i think the one around thanksgiving). I need to actually go play it sometime.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Metro series. 2033 and Last Light are really good shooters with great atmosphere.

Dead Space series, and while I think Dead Space 3 is the most impressive of them all graphically and the best at handling zero gravity, I found Dead Space 3 to be the most boring of them all.

Half-Life series, that goes without saying.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but I will say it's definitely not a game for everyone. Look up the Lost Alpha, it's a free standalone mod from the series. Highly suggest playing on the highest difficulty, because enemies are actually a lot less bulletsponge-y on those difficulties.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Have you tried Payday 2 yet? Having a blast with it. Has no monsters though (unless you count Dozers.) You may need a good team though for some missions.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
Wrack is pretty good. Fairly simplistic graphics but the bosses are fairly neat
Seconding Metro, not so much Rise of the Triad. That game was fairly disappointing
Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior are alright, much more graphically impressive than Wrack and feature classic bosses
STALKER is good if you like Metro. Not so big on the bosses (though neither is Metro) but Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are fairly pretty once modded and there's some pretty strange hazards to deal wth

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Seconding Shadow Warrior 2013, especially if you grew up with the original one and all those other greats like Blood and Duke3D, it manages to capture the greatness of all those (secret areas and crazy arcade combat with weird guns all intact) and mix it with all the good stuff one finds in modern shooters nowadays to create one hell of a rocking first person shooter. Easily up there with Wolfenstein and Human Revolution as my top favorite modern FPSs overall.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Shadow Warrior 2013 is really damn good. A nice classic styled shooter with modern influences.

If you're including mods, Project Reality and Forgotten Hope for Battlefield 2. Both include extensive single player support with easily over 100 maps between the 2 of them.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I thought Singularity was highly underrated. It's actually somewhat similar to Bioshock. The plot was good, the shooting was fun, the enemies and weapons were varied, and the time control aspects (while somewhat underwhelming) were still entertaining.

Already been mentioned like 5 times, but 2013 Shadow Warrior is very, very good. I thought it started to drag a little at the end, but a really solid game with a shockingly deep upgrade and powers system.

Deus Ex: HR is one of my favorite games of all time, but bear in mind it's really more of a stealth game than a traditional FPS game. If you do get it, make sure to get the director's cut, it improves a lot of things and comes with "The Missing Link" expansion.

I'm sort of an outlier on this one, but I LOVED Rage. I thought it was an excellent game (barring its obvious flaws) and the shooting is absolutely top-notch.

People had highly varied opinions of it, but I had a blast with Bulletstorm. It's definitely something different.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Several people have mentioned Shadow Warrior and I would agree that it's worth getting (especially since it's dirt cheap at this point) but I should point out that it very much does not have cool bosses. The writing's pretty poor too, if you care about that sort of thing.

Jan 27, 2011
Starbird said:
Haven't played (yet) but contemplating.
- Dues Ex: HR.
DO IT. It's one of my favourite games of all time, if not my actual favorite game of all time. It kept almost everything that made the original good, while smoothing out all the kinks. It's fantastic.

In fact, if you can get the Director's cut version from Steam, do that. It integrates the DLC mission directly into the game (which is great, since the mission is damn fun and pretty tough), as well as gives alternate ways to kill all the bosses in case you focused more on hacking and stuff instead of straight up combat.

Other reccomendations:
Dreamkiller: If you're looking for a mindless run-and-gun shooter with a wacky premise (You're a psychologist who can invade people's dreams to literally kill their phobias).

Sanctum 2: If you're looking for a pretty nifty Tower-Defense FPS mashup. It's really quite neat.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
Going with what other people said, Shadow Warrior. It's too damn fun, and shows how to do a reboot of an older game right, instead of abominations like Duke Nukem forever.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Well it looks like all the suggestions I was going to make have already been made. I think I'll just shill for a game I really like instead.

Everybody who likes these kind of games and hasn't played it really should play Wolfenstein: The New Order. I'd been a little burnt out on gaming and being a gamer in general (due to a recent movement which will go nameless), and this game just really reinvigorated me. It reminded me of everything that games can be, fun, mature, surprisingly emotional, action packed, and satisfying. I went in looking for a two fisted, nazi killing good time. And I got a lot more. With surprisingly strong storytelling chops and large, open ended maps (the most recent game I'd compare them too would be the original bioshock or the newer Deus Ex game), this game seemed to merge modern games' narrative strengths and tight gameplay with the openness and sense of over the top fun that pervaded the original shooters which paved the way for them.

Anyway yeah. Great game with some fun bosses and cool weapons. And there's even stealth! I love stealth! My only nitpick is that I would have enjoyed some more opportunities to snipe, but then again BJ Blaskowicz is no sniper, he's a raging bull.

I know the OP already played it, this is more for anyone here who's on the fence.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Wolfenstein 2009. IMO, a superior game to Wolfenstein: TNO.
Syndicate 2012. Also, IMO, a superior game to Wolfenstein: TNO. Created by the Starbreeze that was left behind when Machinegames split off to go make TNO.
Battlefield 3/4.

I'm also gonna argue every self-respecting FPS player should finish CoD Black Ops, Black Ops 2, and Ghosts. But that's just me. And CoD is more about the storytelling than the FPS mechanics.

On another note, it always bemuses me how people list third person shooters in threads marked SHOOTERS. It's a very flexible term. MOAR SHMUPS! Heh.

Oh, and I'm gonna cheat and list Perfect Dark because it had a 2010 remaster for Xbox 360. Greatest FPS of all time and all that jazz.