*Good* Modern Single Player Shooters (PC Preferred).

felbot

May 11, 2011
Try F.E.A.R. the first game alongside its expansions are great, really good level design and AI and some of the best gun play ever.
the sequel is meh, haven't played its DLC yet but i will, someday.

The third one is shit, don't buy, ever, unless you have a friend and can stomach the first 2 levels.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro series, Left4Dead, Star Wars: Republic Commando, and the ArmA series (if you're looking for a bit more of a sim like deal) are all good for shooting things with bits of metal. If you want something that's solely multiplayer you could go for one of the Counter Strike games or the ever magnificent Quake Live.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I always forget Dues Ex can be played as a shooter. I play it as a stealth game.

Bulletstorm is unapologetically stupid and immature but it is actually fun.

I never got around to playing Hard Reset and had forgotten it existed until recently but that could be good. I'm probably going to buy it. It has a demo if you haven't checked it out.

Since people are recommending the metro series I can't speak for last light but while metro 2033 has great atmosphere and I do like the game the shooting isn't great. At least not if you want powerful guns, killing loads enemies and boss-fights. The guns feel inaccurate and weak unless you use the limited military grade ammo which doubles as currency and it's slow paced. If you want a shooter that is very atmospheric, where you have to watch your ammo and where most enemies take a lot of effort to kill it's a good game but it doesn't sound like it's what you are looking for.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
T said:
Several people have mentioned Shadow Warrior and I would agree that it's worth getting (especially since it's dirt cheap at this point) but I should mention that it very much does not have cool bosses. The writing's pretty poor too, if you care about that sort of thing.
Hey now. The campiness of Shadow Warrior is perfect for that game. It is so obviously deliberate.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I recently played Bulletstorm, and had a surprising amount of fun with it. If you do pick it up, give it a little while. The start is pretty bad, to the point where I almost gave up, but about two or three levels in it starts getting fun, and becomes an absolute joy to play toward the end-game. The writing seems stuck between trying to be funny and realistic, which result in the main characters seeming like terrifying psychopaths, but the story doesn't get in the way too much after said bad start. The main problem it has is following the infamous two-weapon rule, which I feel hinders its very combo-oriented combat, but that's easily forgotten when I kick a mutant into a cactus, fire a drill at his friend that pins him to a ceiling whilst spinning and the game gives me points for "ceiling fan".

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Starbird said:
Really in the mood for one.
Here's two!

Shadow Warrior 2013 and Hard Reset: Extended Edition. Don't even think about it. Just buy both and your life will be instantly improved.
I tried Hard Reset, just couldn't get into it. Robots are no substitute for giant monsters sadly.

Ooh Shadow Warrior. That one does look interesting.

Sanctum 2 sounds very interesting.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
DXHR is a very good game, but I don't think that it's what you're looking for. There aren't that many enemy types, ammo for powerful weapons isn't plentiful, enemies can easily overpower you if you you don't use stealth/cover/hacking, and the bosses aren't special or interesting in any way (except for the last one, but it's not mind-blowing either). If what you're looking for is a shooter/stealth game with RPG elements, you'll like it.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
T said:
Several people have mentioned Shadow Warrior and I would agree that it's worth getting (especially since it's dirt cheap at this point) but I should mention that it very much does not have cool bosses. The writing's pretty poor too, if you care about that sort of thing.
Hey now. The campiness of Shadow Warrior is perfect for that game. It is so obviously deliberate.
Sure, but my problem was that it was incredibly poorly executed.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
T said:
Adam Jensen said:
T said:
Sure, but my problem was that it was incredibly poorly executed.
I kind of agree, the one thing I didn't like about Shadow Warrior was that it couldn't seem to figure out what tone it wanted. A lot of it was incredibly campy and cheesy and clearly being done for laughs, but then suddenly the game would shift into super serious mode, and some parts were even sort of sad.

Disagree about the boss battles though, I thought they were well done.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I wouldnt call it a single player game necessarily its more co-op but you can play it as single player by just setting yourself to solo. That said, Warframes a good game for that purpose though it has some additional bits. 3rd person run and gun at its finest with a good parkour system, optional stealth, variety of weapons, good melee combat, and "magic" powers to boot. Enemy variety is pretty good and the bosses are usually pretty good too (although a few have long invincibility phases). Its everything you would want to have in a game about being a cybernetic space ninja and the best part is its free to play.

Ziggurat is also sort of a shooter in a "magicy" sense but its also a rogue-like. It might be worth a look

Everything else has already been recommended

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Bulletstorm, maybe? There's is some GFWL maguffins to deal with but once your past that[footnote]And I know an apparently good way around it, so hit me up if you're interested[/footnote], you get a pretty fun shooter that rewards you for killing creatively.

It's fairly crass but I find it enjoyable.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Bulletstorm if you can get past the crux that is GFWL. Its extra cheap on the steam sale at the moment too. Also Serious Sam 1, Second encounter and 3.

Captcha: Which one is easiest. Good question.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Sassafrass said:
Bulletstorm, maybe? There's is some GFWL maguffins to deal with but once your past that[footnote]And I know an apparently good way around it, so hit me up if you're interested[/footnote], you get a pretty fun shooter that rewards you for killing creatively.

It's fairly crass but I find it enjoyable.
I was about to suggest that. If you dont mind toilet humour its a great game with solid mechanics.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Starbird said:
Sanctum 2 sounds very interesting.
It is. I was going to suggest it. Sanctum 1 is great too, but it's a completely different take on the same basic concept. It's pretty cool how different both games are.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
No mention of VANQUISH yet...

I'll just let this video do all the talking
Darn, you made me think it had gotten a PC port or something but alas it seems to still be console only.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
DementedSheep said:
Darn, you made me think it had gotten a PC port or something but alas it seems to still be console only.
The thread says PC preferred, not PC only. Vanquish is easily the best single player TPS of last gen, probably best single player shooter as well especially in the areas the TC is concerned with a variety of enemies and boss fights. I just love how it basically spits in the face of almost all modern TPSs like it has a cover system but you're really not supposed to use it much at all as the game gives you abilities to stay out in the open and fight without needing to sit in cover and play whack-a-mole, and the fact the game takes off points for every second in cover.