Good movies that depress you

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
I guess I would have to go with "Shame".
That film doesn't leave one depressed, but rather suicidal.
Great film though.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
I'd have to go with the pianist on this one. I left watching this movie with a heavy heart, very good movie though

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
In no particular order:

The Seven Samurai. It's depressing seeing how much the samurai have to sacrifice in order to free that village only to have the villagers not even seem to care that much (if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I last saw it).

Castaway. Overall a very depressing movie although there's hope at the very end. I could have done without the literal crossroads scene though. That was a bit over the top.

Terminator 2. I'm sure someone will give me grief for this but honestly that scene at the end with Arnold was very touching and arguably some of his best acting ever.

Lost in Translation. It's just a good movie, not much more to say here.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Kizi said:
Inception. I guess the only thing that bugs me is the ambiguity of the ending.
I strongly advise you to avoid the original Total Recall then (can't speak for the new one; haven't seen it).

I think the Hitchhiker's Guide movie. I mean, it's a good film, it's just really not what I was expecting, I guess.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
If its already been mentioned, I've missed it, but: Grave of the Fireflies.

Seriously, it starts off with the firebombing of the city of Kobe, then gets worse from there. Fantastic film, but dear god it's depressing.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Pretty much any film my friend recommends me. At least, it's looking that way.
The past two times I've been to see him we've watched The Mist and The Road. The Mist definitely takes the cake for saddest ending though.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
End of Evangelion just because every character I loved in the series besides Shinji died in some horrible way or another.

not to mention Asuka got ripped limb from limb even though she was winning against the MP's but then reality just turned her into mush.

Cheesus Crust

Mar 8, 2012
Little Miss Sunshine, I found it depressing, disturbing but delightful. I don't know what it is exactly but I feel good after I watched it despite the fact that so much bad shit happened. Its a bit black comedy yeah but it's more than that to me.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Revolutionary Road, Requiem for A Dream, Before the Fall and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas are all movies that left me feeling off for the remainder of the day. Particularly Revolutionary Road, the entire film was riddled with crushed dreams, disappointment and boredom.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
The Green Mile. I mean, damn. It makes you look at what humanity is at its worst and its best.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Let's see:

Up...everyone start's crying during the introduction. Gah.

Pan's Labyrinth

Where the wild things are...nothing, nothing to do with the book, but a great movie about family problems.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Beautiful film, but so damn depressing. The latter part abour Robert Ford, especially so
surg3n said:
Into The Wild.

Awesome film, a bit slow, and depressing as hell. The soundtrack is by Eddie Vedder, which is just the cherry on top IMO.
Seconded. I've only just seen this film, it was wonderful, but so sad. You could see what was going to happen a mile off (I didnt know about his story prior to seeing the film) but it was still horrible.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Man on Fire. Because the ending is just tragic.

American History X. Again, because the ending is just tragic. Both the protagonist and I seemed to be thinking, ?Why did that have to happen?!?

I am Legend.
Especially the scene where Will Smith?s character has to put down his dog, while tearfully singing that Bob Marley song, because he?s about to turn into one of those zombies. And, at the end of the film, he sacrifices himself, saving everyone from the zombies and having perfected his cure.

Terminator 2. The first film I?d ever seen which really emotionally moved me, because of that final scene with Arnie and Edward Furlong?s character.

The Green Mile. I can?t remember all the events that happened, since I saw it ages ago, but?damn. Just?damn.

And this isn?t necessarily a film, but the latest episode of Black Mirror, ?White Bear?. I didn?t know whether to agree to disagree with its sentiment, but either way, I still found myself feeling sorry for the protagonist.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Esotera said:
Pan's Labyrinth
This. The ending even teared me up a little bit. At least there was some solace in how it happened and what she experienced, but...
It's the sort of ending where you smile while tearing up.

Another one with that effect on me was 1408 with the tape recorder at the end. Did you know that they wanted to change the ending to be more depressing? Yes, they wanted to make it worse than in the original short story. But apparently testing audiences didn't like it so they reverted it back.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
Oh wow, umm.

What Dreams May Come
Man on Fire (ok basically any Denzel Washington movie)
The Sixth Sense
16 Blocks
The Mist (a lot of Stephen King movies really)
Seven Pounds
Legend
Bram Stokers Dracula
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
Lawyrence of Arabia (basically any old ww1 movie that's serious and not just a war film)

Any movie where infidelity happens either to the main character or the main character commits it and it's (excused)

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Wadders said:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Beautiful film, but so damn depressing. The latter part abour Robert Ford, especially so
surg3n said:
Into The Wild.

Awesome film, a bit slow, and depressing as hell. The soundtrack is by Eddie Vedder, which is just the cherry on top IMO.
Seconded. I've only just seen this film, it was wonderful, but so sad. You could see what was going to happen a mile off (I didnt know about his story prior to seeing the film) but it was still horrible.
Yeah, I had an inclining - after noticing that the soundtrack was by Vedder, I bought that and the DVD at the same time... I even had some reservations about the film, being directed by Sean Penn, but really he did a great job with it. It's got a whole cast of strong, likable and believable characters - Vince Vaughn, the lonely old dude, the friendly Europeans, his sisters naration even has some character to it. Awesome cinematography as well, I could watch that movie with no sound and still enjoy it. Anyway, it's good to know that I'm not alone in my appreciation of it - I tried to get my GF to watch it but she fell asleep after about 20 minutes.

Another, kinda similar film to that is '127 hours' - happier ending, but similar in it's attitude, and sensitivity to someones worst day ever. It's probably a bit more watchable for most people than 'Wild.

Haven't really seen many movies like those recently, like showing a real story about real people doesn't make enough money these days. Thing is, I'll buy a good film like 'Wild every time - I'll just download all the crud that is being made these days. The problem with piracy isn't that people pirate movies - it's that the movies we see these days are barely even worth pirating... so why on earth would we consider paying to see them. Really, the only movie I'm looking forward to the the new Bladerunner.