Good news for Total war Warhammer

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1050667181675148/

So CA have finally caved to complaints about the chaos pre-order DLC. Chaos will still be DLC but now it's free for all first adopters(people who buy the game with in the first week). So what do people on the escapist think an=bout this turn of events? you guys happy with this middle ground CA has found or do you want them to get rid of the whole DLC thing all together?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
No, I am not.

It really sucks. I want to get Total War: Warhammer, but I'm not giving money for a game that has this sort of bullshit DLC practice.

Hope all you guys have fun with it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Bombiz said:
AccursedTheory said:
this sort of bullshit DLC practice.
you mean the pre-order DLC or the other DLC's?
Well, there's the practice of dangling in-game incentives to early purchasers. And Day One ('On Disk') DLC in general, particularly DLC as massive as a whole playable character/army.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
It's still a limited time DLC, which is indeed bullshit. Especially due to the nature of the DLC, it's an entire faction they're locking out, something that ought to be in the game to begin with. Fuck developers sometimes.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Gray-Philosophy said:
It's still a limited time DLC, which is indeed bullshit. Especially due to the nature of the DLC, it's an entire faction they're locking out, something that ought to be in the game to begin with. Fuck developers sometimes.
Well I think the main problem was that the faction was pre-order DLC and not just DLC.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'm going to wait for the reviews still. If the base game reviews poorly, no amount of "awesome" DLC will make me preorder a game ever again.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Better than it was before? Yes, a lot better. It removes about half of the strong arming BS the DLC had. Because now, people can at least check the forums and reviews from other players. So if something is bad, you'll be able to notice just by glancing at the forums or top reviews.

It still does force people to purchase the game fairly quickly and doesn't change that I view it completely as cut content. Which is bad.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I wasn't too bothered about this before, but at least now I can reconcile my conflicting positions of "Withholding Chaos as paid DLC is actually kind of shitty, and that's coming from a person who doesn't mind DLC" and "HOLY FUCKING SHIT WARHAMMER TOTAL WAR I HAVE WANTED THIS THING TO EXIST SINCE I WAS CHILD DAY ONE PURCHASE DAY ONE PURCHASE DAY ONE PURCHASE!!!"

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Bombiz said:
Gray-Philosophy said:
Well I think the main problem was that the faction was pre-order DLC and not just DLC.
The bigger problem was that it was pre-order DLC (Something that should be restricted to glam items and tags). Day One DLC (Cut Content as Elfgore puts it) is still a fairly large problem on its own.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
You can see how conditioned the gaming community has become by their positive reaction to this news. Comments like, "I wasn't going to buy this game but now I am getting it day one!" What the hell guys, grow a back bone and stop praising them for this move. They clearly changed their stance because they weren't getting the pre-order numbers they wanted. Ill probably get the GOTY edition somewhere down the line.

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
I'll take a look 5 years from now when the 3 main releases and two dozen DLCs are all in one package, as patched as they're going to get, and 75% off.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Bombiz said:
So CA have finally caved to complaints about the chaos pre-order DLC. Chaos will still be DLC but now it's free for all first adopters(people who buy the game with in the first week). So what do people on the escapist think an=bout this turn of events? you guys happy with this middle ground CA has found or do you want them to get rid of the whole DLC thing all together?
One week? That's it? What sort of informed opinion are buyers going to form in that much time?
I'm not impressed by this bone CA seems to be throwing people. Put Chaos into the base game, stop being penny pinching idiots we'll all be happy, CA.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Dansen said:
You can see how conditioned the gaming community has become by their positive reaction to this news. Comments like, "I wasn't going to buy this game but now I am getting it day one!" What the hell guys, grow a back bone and stop praising them for this move. They clearly changed their stance because they weren't getting the pre-order numbers they wanted. Ill probably get the GOTY edition somewhere down the line.
I think people are 'praising' the fact that a gaming company finally listened to complaints. It's rare for that tho happen and even rarer for it to have since kind of positive out come.

008Zulu said:
I'm going to wait for the reviews still. If the base game reviews poorly, no amount of "awesome" DLC will make me preorder a game ever again.
As you should. No one should just go and buy the game just because of this announcement. They should wait for reliable reviews.

AccursedTheory said:
Bombiz said:
Gray-Philosophy said:
The bigger problem was that it was pre-order DLC (Something that should be restricted to glam items and tags). Day One DLC (Cut Content as Elfgore puts it) is still a fairly large problem on its own.
I agree. Though I dont think I made that clear. Cut content is always bad.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Silverbeard said:
Bombiz said:
One week? That's it? What sort of informed opinion are buyers going to form in that much time?
I'm not impressed by this bone CA seems to be throwing people. Put Chaos into the base game, stop being penny pinching idiots we'll all be happy, CA.
I think it's more of a sega problem then a CA problem. Especially since CA said that Sega wouldn't give them money for that content unless they made it pre-order. But i do agree, It's still bull though

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Elfgore said:
Better than it was before? Yes, a lot better. It removes about half of the strong arming BS the DLC had. Because now, people can at least check the forums and reviews from other players. So if something is bad, you'll be able to notice just by glancing at the forums or top reviews.

It still does force people to purchase the game fairly quickly and doesn't change that I view it completely as cut content. Which is bad.
Basically this.

I've gone from "this is absolutely despicable behaviour which should absolutely be punished and there's no way in hell they're getting my money". To "this is pretty crappy but IF it gets glowing reviews then I guess I might pick it up".

Its a massive improvement...but its still not exactly great.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
At least it's not as bad as Age of Failmar?

I read about this game... I heard they want to release three full price games to cover additional races. Seriously... fuck these developers. My beloved pre-Failmar Lizardmen.... I want my childhood back.

To be fair I kind of dropped wargaming but I loved the Lizardmen back in 3rd. I still have my army in storage. Kind of one of the few things I kept after all the shenanigans.

I was more the assemble and paint crowd, rather than actual gaming. And the Lizardmen were my favourite. I'd consider buying this game ... but the way they're treating their customers... think I'll skip it until it's on special and they actually deliver real content.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Considering fighting against Chaos is such a big part of the game, wouldn't it just involve modifying a few files here and there to make them playable?

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Considering fighting against Chaos is such a big part of the game, wouldn't it just involve modifying a few files here and there to make them playable?
Maybe? Though they would still need to add legendary lords and quest battels.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Because I'm semi-sort of protesting GW and anything related to it because of GW's abominable pricing in general, TW: Warhammer is on that list and more or less the DLC practices are just more of the same customer abuse from GW in general. So unless I can get it on sale for a fraction of the price, I won't be buying it for a long time. I want to play it but I'm just not supporting GW's stuff at full price. And I'm not sorry.