Good Old Games Courts Project Eternity on Twitter

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Eggbert said:
Formica Archonis said:
Back when they pulled that jerkassy advertising move I decided they could go to Hell, I told them they could go to Hell, and I'm sticking by that. You never have to deal with them again. I just never have to deal with them.
Not actually sure here. What was the advertising move you're mentioning? (serious question, don't actually know)
I suspec the kerfuffle they caused when moving from Beta to Gold. They announced that GOG would end...then announced they were going Gold. Storm in a teacup stuff really, even if they did shut down you would still have full access to everything you downloaded anyway.
tautologico said:
sethisjimmy said:
Why would anyone get the Steam version over the GOG version, I mean you can just add the GOG version to Steam if you're that anal.

Anyway having not previously contributed, this makes me want to. Good job Obsidian and GOG!
I can think of a few reasons. People who play on more than one machine, or that prefer to play on a Mac. Or maybe someone who plays at home on a PC Desktop but wants to continue playing on the go with his/her MacBook. Etc.

It's also quite likely that there'll be a Linux version, and by the time the game is out I think it's likely that there'll be a Linux version of Steam.
You can do what you like with GOG downloads, use them on any machine you want, give them to friends, burn them to CD and sell them at markets, whatever you want. They distribute Linux games, not sure about Mac to be honest, but I know FreeSpace2 is available for Linux at the very least.

Myself I'll be getting the GOG version, because they truly are hassle free.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
I don't have a Steam account. I don't have a GoG account. I'm suddenly really glad I didn't put money into this.
Are you from the past? What medium were you hoping to get this on?

I think this is awesome, while I use both Steam and GoG I prefer GoG - not having to use a platform, DRM free and generally cheap prices (though admittedly new releases like this aren't going to see massive discounts right away).

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
sethisjimmy said:
Why would anyone get the Steam version over the GOG version, I mean you can just add the GOG version to Steam if you're that anal.
I'll take the Steam version. Mainly because I can and because it'll look cool with the 500 other things I have from there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
sethisjimmy said:
Pretty sure it's not going to be a Steamworks game, so it makes no odds if you get it through Steam.

Acrisius said:
Formica Archonis said:
I don't have a Steam account. I don't have a GoG account. I'm suddenly really glad I didn't put money into this.
Having a GOG account is like having an email account or an Amazon account or whatever. You just log in to make your purchase, download the install. Then you don't have to ever bother with GOG ever again. The game is yours. DRM free, no stupid "client" or program that you need to play it, no hassle. Surely you couldn't have known this when you wrote your post. GOG has no downsides.
You don't actually need to open Steam to play games you've bought on it, as long as they're not Steamworks titles.

Formica Archonis said:
Where were you hoping to get your digital game purchase from? Debenhams?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
octafish said:
I suspec the kerfuffle they caused when moving from Beta to Gold. They announced that GOG would end...then announced they were going Gold. Storm in a teacup stuff really, even if they did shut down you would still have full access to everything you downloaded anyway.
It was little better than forum drama writ large. They announced they were closing, got it on a bunch of websites, got people worried, and then were like "JUST KIDDING!" I'm not going to patronize a place that dicks around with clients and potential clients like that.

Fasckira said:
Are you from the past? What medium were you hoping to get this on?
... the Internet...? They send me link, I click link, I wait for the happy progress bar to turn blue, I'm done? Don't have to go to yet another site and make yet another account and fill in yet another captcha just to get what I paid for?