Good PC/Electronics Cleaner?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I used to have a pretty good electrical vacuum and could both suck dust and also blow air to dislodge it as to make cleaning up easy.

Not sure if anyone knows of anything like that.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I just buy cans of compressed air. Does the job, until I have to dismantle a few things and clean them manually

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I use an ordinary airbed inflator pump. Much cheaper than buying compressed air cans.

Mar 30, 2010

I've always found Meths and cotton swabs to be the most effective method. Vacuum pumps just get rid of dust and grit, whereas a good manual clean gets rid of everything. Meths and a soft cloth works great as a screen cleaner too.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I use a can of compressed air for smaller electronics, and a leaf blower for full-size computers.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Non-static wipes/towels, either a can of compressed air or a vacuum, but take care in low humidity environments as high pressure suction can create static discharge conditions. A light bristle brush, non-static, is good for clearing dust bunnies from various hard to reach areas so that you don't have to take too much apart.
Also it may behoove you to clean your CPU cooler by removing it and dismantling it because even compressed air can miss wedged dust which creates uneven heat dissipation in the heat sink fins. If you do this, remember to wipe clean the chip itself and the heatsink the residual thermal paste and re-apply, so have some thermal paste handy. If you've never replaced thermal paste before, there's plenty of vids on youtube that'll give you proper procedure. Its not too hard, but its definitely a good habit to get into as this can extend CPU life by preventing burnout from aged thermal paste.
So the list:
Non-static wipes or towels
Compressed Air can (or a vacuum, but I always recommend compressed air)
Non-static light bristle brush
Thermal paste
A decent amount of time to thoroughly clean the case, fans, heatsinks, etc. Leave no stone unturned and definitely ensure you clean your PSU otherwise you may experience a burnout or short which can ruin a motherboard or even cause a fire.

ethanscott

Apr 19, 2018
Tanis said:
I used to have a pretty good electrical vacuum and could both suck dust and also blow air to dislodge it as to make cleaning up easy.

Not sure if anyone knows of anything like that.
Ohh that's neat.
How much do they cost and also, where can I find one?