Good rules of thumb

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Let's give each other some good rules of thumb for life.

* If you're reading the back cover text for a book or DVD movie, it's a good idea to stop as soon as the words "But when..." appear, in order to avoid learning too much about the plot.

* If you're considering smelling the milk to see if it has gone sour, it usually has.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
The literal 'Rule of Thumb' (Or the original at least)

The fact that the distance from the tip of yout thumb to the first join is approximately an inch...

Damn useful that! And surprisingly not well known!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
* If you see a thread that may piss you off chances are it will.

* Don't click on those threads.

* Oh you did... well don't respond to any of the hyper-polarized comments that get your blood boiling.

* Oh you did, again... just make sure you don't insult them.

* Fuck

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
If you think something might be a bad idea... don't do it. Common sense if there ever was any.

So next time you see a controversial thread... just lurk and don't post or quote or else you're in for a world of shit

I'm talking to myself at this point

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fappy said:
* If you see a thread that may piss you off chances are it will.

* Don't click on those threads.

* Oh you did... well don't respond to any of the hyper-polarized comments that get your blood boiling.

* Oh you did, again... just make sure you don't insult them.

* Fuck
I should probably make a poster of this.

OT: If you wouldn't touch it with your fingers, don't touch it with your dick.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
there are three items that money should factor into only slightly when purchasing

1. bed: you sleep on it every night and a bad bed wont let you get a good nights rest and it gives you a bad back which can cause major back problems and unneeded stress

2. shoes: most individuals walk around a good amount in their shoes and bad shoes can cause feet, back, and spinal problems and, again, cause unneeded stress

3. toilet paper: i dont think i have to explain why

this does not mean you should go and buy the super ultra-deluxe supremo versions but rather buy the version that is most comfortable to you

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
If you have to explain yourself, you probably did something wrong to begin with.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
Don't put your dick in crazy and always wrap it up.
captcha "good work"
thanks captcha :)

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Learned from experience:

*If you're at an anime convention, do NOT hesitate to ask people for pictures. Chances are, it's what they're there for.

*Don't assume that everyone will know how to operate your camera.

*Make sure you actually watch the show/movie you're cosplaying from. You will be looked on with disdain otherwise. (My friend ran into a Yoko cosplayer once. She asked who my friend was cosplaying, he said "Er...Simon from Gurren Lagann." Her response? "Oh I haven't seen that one.")

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
If a film has Nicolas Cage in it, it's great...

If it has 2 Nicolas Cages in it, it is the best film ever...

If there are 2 Nicolas Cages at a party hide all the drugs...

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i like to use "rule of wrist" which comes from the opening of the Boondock Saints movie.
unfortunatly i can't find the actual scene on Youtube, this is the best i can find on short notice. line is at about 1:20-1:30. it's in the ACTUAL movie, but this is the deleted scene showing it fully without the Irish BGM.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/4E1weruUCeg
**EDIT: screw it. youtube's embed thing isn't working and i don't know how to do it manually. here's the damn link :EDIT**

an interesting one i heard somewhere that is 100% true with me, and has helped me on occasion. your shoe size is the same as the space between your shoulder and elbow (you can literally fit your shoe there on your upper arm) and your actual foot size if from your elbow to your wrist.
remember that next time you go shoe shopping and you won't have to worry about trying on shoes or remembering sizes.

KingKickass

Oct 8, 2012
I will best ALL of you! Two rules of thumb when surfing the internet.
Rule 34 and Rule 63. Look them up if you dare, and if you look them up, put your favorite childhood show after it ;)

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
A good rule of thumb is that the first part of Pebkio's posts are always facetious or a joke of some kind.

...you see what I did thar? In all seriousness, a good rule of thumb is that the first part of Pebkio's posts are always facetious or a joke of some kind.

Tigerlemur

Aug 22, 2011
Rules of thumb to live by? Hmm...

*No woman ages past 29 until they're 50. It's a scientific quandary for sure.

*Bros before females of the night. (Clarification: Friends before girlfriends/boyfriends)

*If you meet a girl's family and you think she's the normal one, you are wrong. So, so wrong.

*Never discuss religion or politics with someone you don't know.

*Never discuss religion or politics with someone you -do- know.

*If you hear "We should talk," from your significant other, bring flowers. And chocolate.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Actually, I smell the milk quite often and most of the time it hasn't actually gone sour.

OT:
CrustyOatmeal said:
there are three items that money should factor into only slightly when purchasing

1. bed: you sleep on it every night and a bad bed wont let you get a good nights rest and it gives you a bad back which can cause major back problems and unneeded stress
Mom told me that the cheapest bed she ever purchased was the most comfortable one she ever owned while the most expensive one gave her terrible back problems.

OT: Don't ever discuss a complicated subject that you know a lot about with someone who thinks they understand it despite having no relevant education in the field. It will only lead to you explaining what you consider basic knowledge while getting frustrated at how much the person have misunderstood all of it.