Good space horror movies?

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I've got a free week to waste watching movies so I'd like to hear some Escapists' suggestions on some good space horror movies. Am leaning towards movies like Aliens or the first half of the Doom movie (before it went full on retarded). Maybe something in the same vein as Event Horizon, but with a more tangible antagonist if possible (I'm more or less looking for a good movie version of Dead Space).

Also some non-horrors but good space sci-fis would be welcome additions.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

EDIT: I also LOVED The Thing, so if it's a good enough horror movie doesn't have to be specifically set in space as long as it has an extra terrestrial presence.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Battlefield Earth, all the other ones weren't horror movies. Lots of good space movies not a ton of space horror = (. I'll watch this thread to see if I'm wrong.

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
Alien. The entire series is fantastic, but mostly action. The first one would be considered horror though.

I am not considering AvP in the entire series.

Jul 13, 2010
I see you've mentioned Aliens, but have you seen Alien? Its infinitely better then its immediate squeal (which I personally thought was awful) and its also actually a horror film, not a B action movie.

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
Pandorum.
I felt a little uncomfortable the whole way through and its full of nasty suprises and action.
All-round ok story with good paid actors.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
Rationalization said:
Battlefield Earth, all the other ones weren't horror movies. Lots of good space movies not a ton of space horror = (. I'll watch this thread to see if I'm wrong.
Are you saying Battlefield Earth was good?! That film sucked. The plot made no sense, John Travolta did a laughable perfomance and all the camera angles give you a headache after a while. Also; You will hate the colour blue by the end of it.

OT: Have you tried Pitch Black?
I'd also recommend the whole Alien series, not just the first film.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
DethVanXan said:
Rationalization said:
Are you saying Battlefield Earth was good?! That film sucked. The plot made no sense, John Travolta did a laughable perfomance and all the camera angles give you a headache after a while. Also; You will hate the colour blue by the end of it.

Those in glass houses... Pitch Black wasn't a horror movie. And is alien vs predator: requiem added in that series?

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Pararaptor said:
Good as in scary or good as in enjoyable?
Ideally both :p

I've already got the entire series of Alien, it's good but I'm leaning more towards The Thing as a perfect example of what I'm after.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
Rationalization said:
DethVanXan said:
Rationalization said:

Those in glass houses... Pitch Black wasn't a horror movie. And is alien vs predator: requiem added in that series?
Pitch Black wasn't that bad, it made more sense than Battlefield Earth at least (also not a horror). No, AvP and Requiem are not included in the Alien series or the Predator series in my opinion.

RocksW

Feb 26, 2010
All I can think of is ALIEN really.. Cant really think of much sci-fi horror movies, they're not THAT common haha. Agreed 'the Thing' is pretty awesome though

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
DethVanXan said:
Rationalization said:
DethVanXan said:
Rationalization said:

Pitch Black wasn't that bad, it made more sense than Battlefield Earth at least (also not a horror). No, AvP and Requiem are not included in the Alien series or the Predator series in my opinion.
I'll bold what I said in the quote then repeat. I didn't say it was a bad movie, I said it wasn't a horror movie. I actually liked the movie. Nor did I discuss the sense made by either movie. Can't be cherry picking the movies sir, Requiem was artistically done with unknown directors and unknown actors. I was on the edge then off my seat while watching it.

OT: What about Jason X?

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Sunshine (as you asked for space-sci-fis that not necessarily are horror movies) - one of the best more recent sci-fi movies; i must think hard to remember when there was the last time i've been so sucked into a movie; it's just SO atmospheric.
i think it has the potential to be a modern sci-fi classic, if i dare say so (if the odyssey fanboys give it a chance :p the biggest problem today with any medium is, in my opinion, that we have a tendency to judge things based on their age; if sth's young, it can be good, of course it can, but to be GREAT it must be old (if you catch my drift))

of course, as a good movie, it's about what it means to be (a) human. so, why are you still reading this, get the dvd and watch it - NOW!

and of course Alien (like, the first)

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
Rationalization said:
DethVanXan said:
Rationalization said:
DethVanXan said:
Rationalization said:

I'll bold what I said in the quote then repeat. I didn't say it was a bad movie, I said it wasn't a horror movie. I actually liked the movie. Nor did I discuss the sense made by either movie. Can't be cherry picking the movies sir, Requiem was artistically done with unknown directors and unknown actors. I was on the edge then off my seat while watching it.
Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I liked Requiem too, just not as much as the main series of either.
Also, OP try Brazil for sci-fi black comedy. Can't really help you with any sci-fi horrors.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Alien and Aliens. Also in terms of TV the original versions of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits have a few episodes with space horror elements.

cookieXkiller

Mar 7, 2010
if i suggest horror ... go laid to rest , just a horror ... and the new predator movie was really good

TheDandyHighwayman

Nov 18, 2009
DethVanXan said:
Also, OP try Brazil for sci-fi black comedy. Can't really help you with any sci-fi horrors.
YES BRAZIL IS AWESOME!!!!.. very 1984 though (I'm sure that's what TG was going for, otherwise it's just a blatant rip off)

Deshin said:
Maybe something in the same vein as Event Horizon, but with a more tangible antagonist if possible (I'm more or less looking for a good movie version of Dead Space).
Dead Space IS just a game version of Event Horizon!!!

OT: "THEM" is kinda good (in the same sense as "The Thing"), also try "Martin" (I think that's what it was called) It's an obscure George A. Romero film but it was awesome!

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
cookieXkiller said:
if i suggest horror ... go laid to rest , just a horror ... and the new predator movie was really good
I liked Predators, it combined the jungle hunter aesthetic of the first with the lore and mythos we've built up over the last 2 decades. The original score also did wonders for nostalgia. But as you can guess I've seen it already and the original two movies and the cheesy crossover with Alien.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Deshin said:
cookieXkiller said:
I liked Predators, it combined the jungle hunter aesthetic of the first with the lore and mythos we've built up over the last 2 decades. The original score also did wonders for nostalgia. But as you can guess I've seen it already and the original two movies and the cheesy crossover with Alien.
The new Predators movie sucked balls. It was basicly a rip off of the original only done worse.