Good Strategy Games for Beginners

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I am into most genres of games, but strategy games are rarely ever ones I can get into. I like the idea of alot of them, but they tend to be well, way too complicated for me.

I liked the original Command & Conquer, and Starcraft (never beat either though), and I love Civilization, but that is turn based and me being a history nerd makes me like it more.

I keep trying to get into Crusader Kings II, but...then I get intimidated cause I dont know what the hell I am doing.

So basically I am looking for recommendations for good games to ease me into strategy games or something like that. Or perhaps general advice to get into games that otherwise seem too difficult or complicated for me.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I wish I could help but I'm more into complex, often turn-based, 4X and Grand Strategy games while C&C and SC fall into the RTS Strategy type (I know,I know, RT Strategy Strategy but what can you do).

It also doesn't help that I dislike war in gaming in general.

There are some games I can recommend that falls into a general strategy kind.
Galactic Civilizations I is a good start to 4X games, with very few and simple things to keep track of.
Conquest: Frontier Wars straddles the borders between RTS and light 4X.
The Homeworld series are quite acclaimed for their atmosphere and follows typical collect resources build army thing but with much more limited resources.
There is also Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends, almost Grand RTS if you will.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Knights of Honor is like a streamlined version of Crusader Kings. Read some reviews on Steam. There are people calling it Crusader Kings lite. And that's pretty accurate IMO. It's really easy to get into. And it's so much fun! I remember playing it when I was still in high school. I played it for the entire summer when I first got it and I loved every second of it. It's got an amazing soundtrack as well. I'm not sure how well it plays on modern systems though. But do check it out.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
actually i would recommend picking up the first crusader kings. same basic idea but less complicated. to the extent the instructions are a single sheet

with crusader kings games never forget the objective is to just keep your line alive to the end. you dont have to rule the world and you have centuries to fiddle so dome be afraid of making mistakes

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I can recommend age of mythology and stronghold crusader as relatively simple and pleasant RTS games.

As for crusader kings and the like. Most of those paradox games require considerable time to get into them. You might want to start with EUIV which is relatively standard.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Just beat starcraft and starcraft 2.
Don't go playing online against korean players tho.

Also try age of empires 2.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can reccomend quite a few strategy games, but for beginners, I can recommend the following:

-Warcraft III: Very easy to get into. The campaign does a very good job of introducing you to the mechanics, and the gameplay doesn't move too fast. It's also downloadable and still supported, so that helps, but you might have some trouble installing it on a modern system.

-Dawn of War: Not as fond of this as some others, but I think it's relatively easy to get into. Start with Space Marines, as they're the easiest to use - luckily, they're the campaign faction as well.

-Halo Wars: I enjoy Halo Wars, but this is among the most simple RTS games out there, since it was designed with the limitations of a controller in mind. So, low unit cap, low base cap, low unit speed, simple rock-paper-scissors system, only two factions. It lacks the depth that some other RTS games have, but because of that, it's a good introduction to the genre. It's also more in the vein of Command & Conquer rather than the StarCraft/Warcraft series, so you might have some common ground there.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wouldn't call knight of honor streamline crusader king, it's far closer to total war game, except with the campaign map in real time. I'd absolutely love for it to get a new entry, it's still a great game but it's starting to show it's ages. If you wanna try the total war game themselves, shogun 2 is your best bet.

If you're interested in paradox grand strategy, I'd recommend starting with stellaris. It's much simpler than most of there grand strategy and because of the nature of the game, where you build your empire rather than being handed one, most new feature are slowly introduced so the learning curve is pretty gentle.

Sins of a solar empire is also a solid choice that skirt very close to being a 4x, there's also a lot less micromanagement of units, so it's pretty easy to get into.

Starcraft 2 campaign version is also very beginner friendly, not to mention very fun by itself. Every map is it's own special challenge and new units are being introduced all the time, every time I'd finish one of the campaign I was disappointed that there wasn't more.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Saelune said:
I am into most genres of games, but strategy games are rarely ever ones I can get into. I like the idea of alot of them, but they tend to be well, way too complicated for me.

I liked the original Command & Conquer, and Starcraft (never beat either though), and I love Civilization, but that is turn based and me being a history nerd makes me like it more.

I keep trying to get into Crusader Kings II, but...then I get intimidated cause I dont know what the hell I am doing.

So basically I am looking for recommendations for good games to ease me into strategy games or something like that. Or perhaps general advice to get into games that otherwise seem too difficult or complicated for me.
For a history nerd i would recommend one of the total war games, the one about the era of your intrest in particular.
(personally, i enjoyed Napoleon, rome2, and shogun2 most.)(Empire was a buggy disaster)
There is nothing like a preexisting intrest to help get trough the learning curve.
Some of them are a bit expensive though
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_7_7_151_12&term=total+war

And as general advise, do the tutorials!
They are often a bit dull, but can teach useful/necessary game mechanics you otherwise wouldn't figure out.

Don't play skirmish mode first, it isn't fun if you don't know how it works, and you probably lose.
And stay away from (competitive) online multiplayer until you know the game inside out.(they WILL hand you your ass)
A friendly game against a friend is cool though(just practice at least a bit).

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
The older Total War games (Rome 1, Medieval 2) stand up the best of the series, and do nice simple strategy without all the overcomplicated mess (gameplay wise, visually and in system performance) that is typical of the later games.

For Crusader Kings, top tip - don't go crazy with the DLC until you know what's going on with the vanilla game. The mods all bring in some extra complication. I think these days you have the options screen at the start of a new game where you can turn off some of the crazy shit to make it a little more comprehensible.

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 was quite good - fairly simple, easy to learn the mechanics, but still a challenge lategame.

Dawn of War 1 was an amazing, mission based game that is still by far the best of the series (that and Winter Assault). The later games tried to be too open and it killed it from a story perspective.

Or if you want some old school strategy games, there's the likes of Stronghold, Knights and Merchants, Age of Empires, Empire Earth, they all have something going for them, but don't all age so well.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The new Master of Orion is pretty easy (which is why i prefer Stellaris).

The Heroes of Might and Magic line has some nice games (even if number 6 and 7 flopped)

Age of Wonders has some nice games.

You already know about Civ, Total War and Paradox games.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
A little indie game by the name of Multiwinia might be worth a look. It's basically the RTS boiled down to its most basic form (There's only one "unit" and recruitment is done automatically via spawners that you capture) and it's pretty cheap.

I'll also second the votes for either of the Dawn of War games.

Sep 14, 2009
age of empire II and III have fun campaigns and are solid RTS's

In a similar vein but this one reminds me of a mix of age of empire and civilization combined, empire earth (II and III are shit from what I hear, the first one is the golden one.) is alot of fun for an RTS and really lets you build an empire from caveman to giant lazer robots, but the campaigns are also super cool and follow actual historical characters (with an obvious video game twist to them)

Nismu

Mar 4, 2015
Fire emblem heroes (free on android/ios... and if you happen to have 3ds fire emblem awakening)

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Saelune said:

It really really depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for any sort of a 4x experience like Crusader Kings II? Or are you mainly looking for a typical rts? Are you looking for skirmish matches against AI, a singleplayer campaign, or competitive multiplayer matches?

Also... are you looking for something especially challenging (in terms of AI difficulty), epic battles, or primarily just looking to experience the setting with a dose of strategy/management?

I mostly ask this because it's really difficult to narrow down any particular titles to recommend, especially given some of the common pitfalls with strategy games.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ender910 said:
Saelune said:

It really really depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for any sort of a 4x experience like Crusader Kings II? Or are you mainly looking for a typical rts? Are you looking for skirmish matches against AI, a singleplayer campaign, or competitive multiplayer matches?

Also... are you looking for something especially challenging (in terms of AI difficulty), epic battles, or primarily just looking to experience the setting with a dose of strategy/management?

I mostly ask this because it's really difficult to narrow down any particular titles to recommend, especially given some of the common pitfalls with strategy games.
Just strategy games that can potentially ease me into the genre as a whole. My brother loves them and keeps trying to get me to play with him, but then I do and just...do nothing. And no, he is not much help in getting me into it, since he does little in teaching me anything.

I was not specific because I dont intend to be. RTS, turn based, world conquering or whatever like CK2, etc.

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
When it comes to Crusader Kings I would recommend watching a playthrough. I was also initially overwhelmed by the complexity, but after watching somebody play it I was able to jump in and do pretty well (though admittedly on the easiest difficulty). The one I watched specifically was by this guy:
I hope you don't mind the fact that he's wearing a fedora :p.

If you've got the money to spare I would also recommend Starcraft 2. It has one of the best, if not the best single player campaigns out of any RTS. There are four difficulties to choose from and they've made an effort to make each mission unique and present a different challenge.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Saelune said:
Ender910 said:
Just strategy games that can potentially ease me into the genre as a whole. My brother loves them and keeps trying to get me to play with him, but then I do and just...do nothing. And no, he is not much help in getting me into it, since he does little in teaching me anything.

I was not specific because I dont intend to be. RTS, turn based, world conquering or whatever like CK2, etc.
Fair enough, just wanted to be sure I had a better idea of what you might be looking for. I think if I were going to recommend an RTS... I'd suggest Battle for Middle Earth II.

As an RTS the game's really solid, with just the right amount of variety(many ways you can play), difficulty, complexity, and fun. And in particular, unlike more typical RTS games like Starcraft and Age of Empires II the resource system is designed to require relatively minimal management, leaving the player free to focus more on the actual battles and tactical side of the game. Also, if you're familiar with the films books then you should have a pretty easy time recognizing the various unit types and heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV8H7Wak82E

One thing though, the game is kind of in a sort of "abandonware"-like state since no one has the rights to distribute anymore. (EA's LotR license basically expired) So you won't really be able to find it on Steam or Origin. Also, unless there's a community project that figured out an alternative, the multiplayer probably won't work since it was based on the now defunct Gamespy system. Might also require a community unofficial patch (I know of a few over the years).

Like I said though, it's a really good place to start, if getting it installed+running isn't too much of a hassle.

I'll possibly see if I can narrow down any other recommendations. It's kind of tough though since the genre's been rather stagnant in recent years, and most of the more commonly known titles never really did it for me. Maybe Rome: Total War or Medieval 2 (lightly modded) could work as well?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Saelune said:
I liked the original Command & Conquer, and Starcraft (never beat either though), and I love Civilization
I dare say you have already eased yourself into strategy games and playing a few more accessible games will not make it any easier to get into a game like Crusader Kings 2. One thing I would recommend though is playing a difficulty level or two above your comfort zone. This will make you more aware of the game mechanics and tactical subtleties because you will need to.

I should point out that for pretty much every RTS ever, the most important thing strategy-wise is simply to keep your production going as fast as possible. It's usually quite obvious, but also a lot of balls to juggle in real time. It takes a lot of practice to juggle those balls, but it makes a massive difference. If you can do it perfectly you can beat the vast majority of Starcraft players without even considering real strategy or tactics. This is perhaps unfortunate, but it's the way things are.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Saelune said:
Ender910 said:
Saelune said:

What games do you play against him?
Maybe try to play the single player or the tutorial of those games on your own.
From experience, diving straight in to multiplayer the first time you play doesn't really work that well.
Fist time i played starcraft 1 was multiplayer and it was over before i even figured out how to gather resources.

I'm somewhat assuming you did, but did you ask you brother to teach you how to play?
I imagine he would enjoy the game more himself if you could put up more of a fight.