Good vehicle construction games for the PC?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I've been watching a few LPs of Banjo & Kazooie: Nut s& Bolts, and I have to say, it's one game that makes me regret not having an Xbox. At any rate, care to suggest a fun vehicle construction game on the PC?

Also, if anyone can help with this...

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Guys, I need a little help. There was this PS1 or PS2 title featured on the Escapist a while back - it was a vehicle construction game that utilized panels to create things ranging from simple cars to transformers. It only turned a profit very recently after being released on PSN, I think.

Thanks!

Tethalaki

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Nov 5, 2009
Huh, the only thing that really springs to mind is Lego Racers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Racers_(video_game)

It probably meets what you're looking for.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Well, Garru's mod lets you create a vehicle with a bath tub... It is really fun!

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I haven't played Banjo & Kazooie, so I don't know if this is what you're after.

It's quite possibly overkill, and it's completely unfinished and not ready yet but I've enjoyed my small amount of time with the Rawbots beta. It's been greenlit and next patch is supposed to be multiplayer but it's been a good few months since I've hear anything about development.

So whilst it likely doesn't help you now, this might be something to keep an eye on if it ever gets released. Unless you want to buy into the beta but as I said, it's been months since they've spoke of progress.
I spent AGES trying to build a spaceship sort of thing and couldn't get it to stay level, you have to program every wheel/thruster/gun/pivot yourself and assign them buttons and I couldn't quite get the thrusters to keep a steady level and it kept hovering to the left I think. I loved it though, just wish it would update.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
If its only surface vehicles then I won't be able to help you, but if you include space vessels then Kerbal Space Program would be a really good choice.

It's very realistic although, so don't expect to go in and build a Saturn V without a few explosions on the launch pad as you figure out what to do.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Kerbal Space Program Seconded. It's quite amazing the kind of stuff you can build and quite a few new parts packs have been made by fans(the intial set is somewhat limited, but works).

Of course, you'll know soon enough if you built a bad rocket because it'll blow up on the launch pad, or won't have enough power to make it to orbit, or shake itself apart before reaching orbit, or the boosters will overheat and explode before they're done with, or the rocket will fall apart(if you set up the staging wrong), or you'll get to orbit and realize you can't get back home for any number of reasons(such as you forgot parachutes for your crew capsule). Still a lot of fun to play.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
I'm not sure what Nuts & Bolts was like but I'm a huge fan of Automation. It's currently in development but the demo is available here. I'm not 100% sure what is and isn't in the demo as I've preordered the deluxe edition lol but so far you can customise engines and play around with different body models.

It is a bit more technical though but it's definitely worth checking out if you like cars!

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The only vehicle construction game I can think of is Crashtastic:

It's recently been Greenlit on Steam, so hopefully it'll be available for general release soon.

As for whether it's good or not... I haven't played it yet, but it looks like a lot of creative fun, so it should be worth a punt when it's fully* released (*you can buy the pre-release alpha version from the developer now).