Good Year for RPG Fans?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
it has been a good year for RPGs?

could have fooled me. FF 13-2 is the only RPG that i was even a little excited for, and even that game was....okay.

last year was better

DE:HR
skyrim
disgaea 4

....i guess i should put dragon age 2 on there even though it was okay.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Yeeeeeee...... no, same as always pretty awful year for rpgs, I am sorry but all the game you mentioned are either crappy jrpgs or quest grind games=NOT RPGS. only actual rpg that got released so far is mass effect and was released by EA so not a game for me. The only rpg I was looking forward too was the new neverwinther game and that turned out to just be a crummy wow ripoff. Next year when the south park rpg gets released I might get excited but until then no just no

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Speaking as a PC gamer... no, not really.

We got Mass Effect 3 and Amalur thus far. That's about it for the major releases. Sure, a few minor indies were worth a look (Grimrock, whatever Spiderweb puts out, etc.), but all in all, it's been a lean year from my perspective... :(

P.S. No, I don't count Diablo 3, that's an Action game with some RPG elements.

P.P.S. No, I don't count Dawnguard, that's DLC.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Anthraxus said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Anthraxus said:
What I'm looking forward to is the next upcoming year or two when some of these kickstarter RPGs like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Dead State start coming out.
Agreed totally on Wasteland 2, on Shadowrun eh maybe still don't know much about it and for Dead State well I've never been one for those types of games. Still I think the next 2 years are going to be awesome. I'm personally the most excited for Divinity Original Sin.
Yes, I defiantly like everything I'm seeing from Divinity Original Sin, except for the artstyle (mainly the monster design)

But that can be overlooked if the game has alot of other elements that interest me, which it seems to.

As much as I hate snotty elitism, this gave me a good chuckle. Got to check that game out or whatever the hell it is.

OT: From a WRPG standpoint I can't say that this year has given me any gold yet. Sure, Mass Effect 3 rubbed that emotional and Mass Effect-fanboy urge pretty good and for all its shortcomings I had a tremendous experience. It doesn't hold a candle to its previous endevours but that's probably because of too much hype, personal perfectionism and fucked up save-games as much as Bioware's technical and narrative failure to deliver. (Bugged face-import from Mass Effect 1, I mean What. The. Fuck. Bioware?!).

Instead, I look upon 2013, not as a RPG gamer but as a PC Gamer. Wasteland 2, Company of Heroes 2, Total War: Rome 2, Fortnite, Shadowrun and whatever indie darling or big AAA-game with PC-ambitions are gonna make it good year gaming wise.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Ed130 said:
SmarterThanYou said:
You know, it's funny.

There's a lot of doom and gloom surrounding RPGs nowadays. Hell, I'm as guilty as anyone of being pessimistic about the future of my favorite genre.

But, hey, I've got to admit that this has been a pretty good year. We've got a new Final Fantasy, Devil Survivor 2, Tales of Graces, Tales of the Abyss on 3DS, Disgaea 3 on Vita, Xenoblade Chronicles... and down the road, we have Kingdom Hearts 3DS, The Last Story, Pokemon Black and White 2... next year we'll see Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia...

WRPG fans also get treated to a new Mass Effect, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dawnguard...

Is it just me, or is this a really kickass year to be an RPG fan? What games did you enjoy playing? What are you looking forward to?
Most of the titles you stated are JRPG's

And the western ones... Mass Effect 3 screwed itself over in the end, Studio 38 has died a rather public death, and Dawnguard... Well that one is ok.

A better title for this thread would be: Good Year for JRPG fans.

Personally I am waiting for some of my Kickstarters to mature in 2013.

Edit: You forgot about Legends of Grimrock.
Well, there's really no point in distinguishing them. JRPGS are just RPGs made in Japan, after all.

Glad you enjoyed Legend of Grimrock! Indeed, i had forgotten.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
mrhateful said:
Yeeeeeee...... no, same as always pretty awful year for rpgs, I am sorry but all the game you mentioned are either crappy jrpgs or quest grind games=NOT RPGS. only actual rpg that got released so far is mass effect and was released by EA so not a game for me. The only rpg I was looking forward too was the new neverwinther game and that turned out to just be a crummy wow ripoff. Next year when the south park rpg gets released I might get excited but until then no just no
Well, I'm sorry that you don't consider other kinds of RPGs... well, RPGs. xD That's kinda cute, i guess.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
s69-5 said:
You forgot:
Agarest War 2
Atelier: Meruru
Rainbow Moon
Dragon's Dogma
Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2
Mugen Souls
Legasista

Maybe:
Dragon's Crown
FF Versus XIII
No way we're seeing Versus this year, although i wish. >_<

It wasn't my intent to make a complete list in the post, but I do appreciate pointing out some other cool games. :)

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
ForgottenPr0digy said:
what about Dishonored? Isn't that a RPG like Deus EX:HR
From what I have seen, Dishonored is more of a stealth/action game, with fewer RPG elements than Deus Ex. Strange, coming from Bethesda, but it looks cool. I don't know that much about it, to be honest, so take that with a grain of salt.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Anthraxus said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Anthraxus said:
What I'm looking forward to is the next upcoming year or two when some of these kickstarter RPGs like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Dead State start coming out.
Agreed totally on Wasteland 2, on Shadowrun eh maybe still don't know much about it and for Dead State well I've never been one for those types of games. Still I think the next 2 years are going to be awesome. I'm personally the most excited for Divinity Original Sin.
Yes, I defiantly like everything I'm seeing from Divinity Original Sin, except for the artstyle (mainly the monster design)

But that can be overlooked if the game has alot of other elements that interest me, which it seems to.

You also got Age of Decadence too

That was hysterical. xD Thank you.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Anthraxus said:
SmarterThanYou said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
what about Dishonored? Isn't that a RPG like Deus EX:HR
From what I have seen, Dishonored is more of a stealth/action game, with fewer RPG elements than Deus Ex. Strange, coming from Bethesda, but it looks cool. I don't know that much about it, to be honest, so take that with a grain of salt.
Bethesda isn't making Dishonored, just publishing it. Arkane studios is developing it, the same ones that made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
Ah, that makes a bit more sense. See, I don't know much about the game! xD

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
SmarterThanYou said:
Is it just me, or is this a really kickass year to be an RPG fan? What games did you enjoy playing? What are you looking forward to?
I guess it depends on your definition of RPG.
Most of those games spell ARPG, or Interactive Stories, to me.
Well, I don't know about the japanese ones, since I don't really care for such games.
To me, the next worthwhile, actual RPG is slated to come out in 2013 - that being Wasteland 2.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Later this year and next year feels better to me. Devil Survivor: Soul Hackers, Fire Emblem: Awakening, South Park: The Stick of Truth, etc.

Also: http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=17256

....!?? I'm calling fake.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
DoPo said:
Ed130 said:
Wasn't that more of an adventure game, though? I have yet to look more into it. From what I saw so far, however, I'll be getting it for sure.
Naw, it's an oldschool dungeon crawler. It's pretty distant from adventure games, really.

Oh and it's also awesome.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Ed130 said:
SmarterThanYou said:
You know, it's funny.

There's a lot of doom and gloom surrounding RPGs nowadays. Hell, I'm as guilty as anyone of being pessimistic about the future of my favorite genre.

But, hey, I've got to admit that this has been a pretty good year. We've got a new Final Fantasy, Devil Survivor 2, Tales of Graces, Tales of the Abyss on 3DS, Disgaea 3 on Vita, Xenoblade Chronicles... and down the road, we have Kingdom Hearts 3DS, The Last Story, Pokemon Black and White 2... next year we'll see Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia...

WRPG fans also get treated to a new Mass Effect, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dawnguard...

And the western ones... Mass Effect 3 screwed itself over in the end, Studio 38 has died a rather public death, and Dawnguard... Well that one is ok.

Wrpg fans got , game of thrones , kindoms of almur , dragons dogma , lord of the rings: war ofthe north ...

OT: no it isn't , they just don't make em like they used to :'( . I'm currently playing Dragon quest 8 and wonder why are there no current gen Jrpgs like this .

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
- says "good year for RPGs"
- Actually mentions Final Fantasy

I'm sorry. I needed to leave for a few minutes to laugh. I thought you said good. I guess you meant good year for number, not quality. Oh man. I remember when I thought that series was good. On the SNES. Good times.

That said, it HAS been a surprisingly good year, and not just for the mainstream! Atelier Meruru, Agarest 2, Dragon's Dogma, Tales of Graces (even if it IS the weakest game in the series to date, and the series has arguably been mainstream since Vesperia) and of course, while not an RPG itself, Persona 4 Arena is a spinoff of one, and it's coming next month.

Someone here mentioned "quest grind" games, and I have to agree, quest grinds are not good RPGs. XIII-2 is basically a quest grind past certain points. "Oh, you need to defeat this monster." Well the thing is a rare spawn in a specific weather and the game won't tell you which and you need to fight for awhile in an area before it shows up and 100% completion is mandatory for a decent ending? (Not that I know anyone patient enough to grind for that BS so I don't know if the damn thing even changes!)

Quest systems aren't always bad. For example, in Dragon's Dogma, you never need to do a single sidequest if you don't want to. They don't FORCE ARBITRARY UNNEEDED ONES just to ADVANCE THE STORY. Compare to, say, Tales of the World, Radiant Mythology, where story quests appeared at complete random, and you needed to grind existing quests to clear room! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Cheesepower5 said:
Later this year and next year feels better to me. Devil Survivor: Soul Hackers, Fire Emblem: Awakening, South Park: The Stick of Truth, etc.

Also: http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=17256

....!?? I'm calling fake.
P5?!

..Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Still; I wish. :( I want it.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
krazykidd said:
Ed130 said:
SmarterThanYou said:
You know, it's funny.

Wrpg fans got , game of thrones , kindoms of almur , dragons dogma , lord of the rings: war ofthe north ...

OT: no it isn't , they just don't make em like they used to :'( . I'm currently playing Dragon quest 8 and wonder why are there no current gen Jrpgs like this .
Try No no Kuni when it comes out. it's made by the same company (Level 5), and kind of gives me a Dragon Quest vibe.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Ranylyn said:
- says "good year for RPGs"
- Actually mentions Final Fantasy

I'm sorry. I needed to leave for a few minutes to laugh. I thought you said good. I guess you meant good year for number, not quality. Oh man. I remember when I thought that series was good. On the SNES. Good times.

That said, it HAS been a surprisingly good year, and not just for the mainstream! Atelier Meruru, Agarest 2, Dragon's Dogma, Tales of Graces (even if it IS the weakest game in the series to date, and the series has arguably been mainstream since Vesperia) and of course, while not an RPG itself, Persona 4 Arena is a spinoff of one, and it's coming next month.

Someone here mentioned "quest grind" games, and I have to agree, quest grinds are not good RPGs. XIII-2 is basically a quest grind past certain points. "Oh, you need to defeat this monster." Well the thing is a rare spawn in a specific weather and the game won't tell you which and you need to fight for awhile in an area before it shows up and 100% completion is mandatory for a decent ending? (Not that I know anyone patient enough to grind for that BS so I don't know if the damn thing even changes!)

Quest systems aren't always bad. For example, in Dragon's Dogma, you never need to do a single sidequest if you don't want to. They don't FORCE ARBITRARY UNNEEDED ONES just to ADVANCE THE STORY. Compare to, say, Tales of the World, Radiant Mythology, where story quests appeared at complete random, and you needed to grind existing quests to clear room! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
I understand your feelings towards Final Fantasy (even if I don't share them), but geez. ;P You do this on practically every FF related thread?

I didn't like XIII-2, personally, but hey, some people did, so I mentioned it.