Google Cracks Down on Adblock

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
News flash, people won't watch your ads anyway, they'll go make a sandwich or something. The old models that are used to gain profits really don't work today, that said I don't know how you'd get a better new one. But the old one, thoughly broken.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
wizzy555 said:
What happened to the premium service youtube was preparing? I would probably pay for that.
They tried it, and as predicted by everyone (because apparently Google is the ONLY place in the world where these days without internet savvy people) it failed miserably to the point where it's another one of Google's experiments which have been made into un-history.
Elfgore said:
I think Fakku has one advantage YouTube doesn't: it makes money through more then just ads. They sell physical and digital copies of hentai with all the censorship removed, they sell games and shirts both on their site and at conventions (I remember last year at Otakuthon they even sold out of some of said shirts, though unfortunately they didn't show up for this year's one). YouTube, on the other hand, makes money though ads and 5$-per-movie streaming that they get a cut of that no one uses. Remove ads and the site basically has no revenue.

Though this is a problem Google needs to fix in a practical way that will actually work, since there are ways to make it work as other streaming services have shown.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Makabriel said:
The choice whether to block ads or not to block ads has always boggled me. I never buy something from a commercial. NEVER. Not one ad I've ever seen has tempted me to buy something. So why should I have to tolerate them? They're not getting money out of me, so you're wasting both our time trying to get me to..
I saw an advert for a chicken burger at burger king once and ended up wanting (and getting) a kfc. So it kinda works on me think.

On topic, i do all my youtubing on my phone so doesn't effect me in the slightest, although i see ppl just switching browsers.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I hate to say this, cause I feel like I'm not the only one, but attempting to block ad-block the way they are, is one of those things that instead of encouraging people to not use adblock, it's going to encourage them not to use Youtube. I know for me it's going to be a big deterrent for google chrome, and that's not because I'm some big fan of ad-block or anything. I don't even run it, but the truth is like many of these music services, if you start making your product less accessible because you want to punish people, I don't feel like you're gonna generate the right kind of attention... I stopped using Itunes where I live because intensifying region restrictions were making my life miserable.

Incidentally I don't use youtube nearly as much as I used to because they prevent me from caching videos on my phone. The more they clamp down the less I feel like using it... and it's not a vital service... it's very easy to live without...

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
I can understand Google's frustration, but this hardly seems to be the best way to deal with the issue. The fact is that very few people like ads. They're loud, repetitive, and always act as a gatekeeper between people and the things they actually want to see. That's not even getting into the stigma they have of trying to sell you things you don't need. This, as everyone has already said, just drives people away from Chrome and creates bad blood. Though if mandatory Google+ integration was any indication, Google doesn't care.

What I find most amusing is that many Youtubers already figured out that the system doesn't work (and hasn't for some time) and found sponsorship deals. So if the people Google depends on for content have already wised up to the deficiencies in the system, why hasn't Google? If they really wants to fix the problem then they should develop a system/program that creates subtle, semi-random advertisements that don't interfere with peoples' access to the content. Much like piracy, if they want people to play by the rules, then the rules have to offer a better experience than the alternative.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Huh, I had this for a while a few months back, I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit through some guy telling me how to make pulled pork. It went away after too long, maybe they were just testing it or adblock went around it then? Either way I've moved back onto firefox now.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
shirkbot said:
So if the people Google depends on for content have already wised up to the deficiencies in the system, why hasn't Google?
Simple, because despite the image they try and present of themselves Google is run by genre-blind suits who know nothing about the internet, or how their own company, works. The competent people running the place where replaced long before the company purchased YouTube.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I find it weird that a computer can be held basically hostage by flash ads that slow it down unless people pay $10 a month to every website they go to. Then Ad Block comes along & basically stop this hostage situation. Then the people running the websites play victim because they relied on the flash ads that were holding people's PCs hostage.

From what I can tell the whole point of people using Ad Block is its way cheaper than paying various websites monthly or hoping that another PC upgrade will help for more than a year.

In some cases I've even seen Ads scroll to them selves over & over again when I'm trying to read a website. Or in the case of watching a video player having another video player all the sudden play sound for a commercial which is distracting. Even without that other video player sound I've had issues where it would freeze my PC.

I don't use Add Block. Some of the websites I like going to actually know what I'm interested when it comes to them. But they're usually Furry Websites advertising for Furry Websites. However I would have no problem installing an Ad Block as long as it only blocked Flash Ads.

Also Adchoices is Evil.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Only Chrome, huh? Good to know not trusting more crap from Google was at least right this time. Though, how long until they figure out how to do this on Firefox and other browsers. Hopefully, it's just a test to see how people would react (and hopefully, people will react with the kind of hate that would make Kefka jealous).

Maybe if these ads didn't bog down systems and suck up people's data caps (video, especially), ad blockers wouldn't be so much of a problem. Many of the ad campaigns also make everyone want to peel out their eye and eardrums, especially if you end up having to watch the same annoying, irrelevant video ad 5 or more times in an hour. Yeah, without revenue, YT would disappear, but their has to be better ways than watching power company commercials (for a company that doesn't service your area and sometimes in a language you don't understand) over and over every 10 minutes. The annotation ads aren't very intrusive, at least.

I don't mind sidebar and topbar ads, even though they almost never have a service/product that aligns with my interests and needs (and are often "local mom finds easy way to lose weight/lower her mortage/get rich quick" scams). As much as I'm a private person, I don't even mind the ads that look at my cookies and throw Northern Tool ads while I'm browsing TV Tropes. But, autoplaying video ads, anything with autoplaying sound, and anything Youtube or Hulu throws out can piss off. Every time I whitelist Youtube, regret and insanity follow within a few hours. They need to at least give the campaigns more variety than 3-4 of the same videos every 2 weeks.

It also doesn't help that YT's Content ID system (and the profit sharing in general for some channels that have a lot of effort put into their content) is so fucked up that Patreon is a better way to support any content creators that use it properly. Because of the great (heavy sarcasm there) tools Google gives the super huge corporate IP holders, even artists that legally own the content they post and critics who are well within their rights for fare use are getting their videos claimed or striked by both automated systems and nefarious individuals trying to silence them. Google needs to work on that and how they deliver ads before they start crusading against browser add-ons that make a surfer's experience tolerable.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Zontar said:
Simple, because despite the image they try and present of themselves Google is run by genre-blind suits who know nothing about the internet, or how their own company, works. The competent people running the place where replaced long before the company purchased YouTube.
They certainly know how search algorithms work, but that's about it. Competent people cost money, so naturally they needed to go. How else could they justify their ContentID system?

RatGouf said:
However I would have no problem installing an Ad Block as long as it only blocked Flash Ads.
If all you want to do is block Flash stuff there are usually plug-ins that will just block Flash as opposed to all ads. Or you can just use Firefox, which has recently disabled the Flash plug-in by default because it's a security hazard and doesn't force you to watch 3-minuute Youtube ads apparently.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Yet another reason I use Firefox. As Google slowly takes over the Internet, and therefore, the world, I'll cling to Firefox for as long as I can!

Captcha: Banana Stand

Google needs to realize there is always money... in the Banana Stand.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
loa said:
So less people will use google chrome and more people will use firefox.
Good job, google.
That's what I expect the result to be until the addon-that-shall-not-be-named finds a way around whatever script magic google has woven.

I can appreciate how frustrating it must be for google and others who make it their business to advertise, be it advertising sorts themselves or those who just sell the advertising slots.
Trying to find ways to reach an audience that can quite easily set up a default option to ignore you before you get out your first words must lead to a lot of stress.
Doing something like this is most certainly not the answer, no matter how within their rights they may be.

Users will ask why they can't skip adverts.
The reasons will leak.
As soon as there is a work around, be it swapping browser or new in chrome methods, it will spread swiftly.
Relying on user laziness or some kind of inertia to defend them from user migration is folly.

For some reason I keep thinking of this old quote.

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
Uh.
Well.
I think it fits.

There have to be better ways to get adverts to your userbase.
Politely asking is one part.
Ensuring your advertisements aren't eyeball rakingly awful or annoying is another component.
Keeping things short couldn't hurt too.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
shirkbot said:
RatGouf said:
However I would have no problem installing an Ad Block as long as it only blocked Flash Ads.
If all you want to do is block Flash stuff there are usually plug-ins that will just block Flash as opposed to all ads. Or you can just use Firefox, which has recently disabled the Flash plug-in by default because it's a security hazard and doesn't force you to watch 3-minuute Youtube ads apparently.
I still use Flash, but Flash Ads at times screw up my PC.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I whitelisted this site a while ago but I originally installed Adblock simply because of how obtrusive I found Youtube's ads, Nowadays I support people like SorcererDave, EnterElysium and other youtubers by Patreons or subbing to them on Twitch. I just point blank refuse to have anything to do with Youtube ads because of their nature and so I stick on Firefox for now, though if some of the rumblings about Firefox's future come to pass I'm going to start using the Palemoon fork of the browser that isn't run by Mozilla.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
I'd probably be worried about this... if I didn't mainly use firefox. Now I have one more reason to avoid chrome beyond proffessional requirements.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
So question.... Hypothetically if one had adblock wouldn't ads not show up in the first place? This hypothetical chrome adblock user has never even seen an ad on youtube, and as such doesnt even need the option to skip.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Ghostery doesn't have this problem, and neither does Firefox.

This isn't really a big deal, if I'm to be honest.

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
I am a bit curious about how they are doing the detection, I normally use Firefox but decided to check on this and I noticed no change in video behavior in Chrome despite that browsers having multiple Adblock variants installed*. I understand that Google should take steps to protect their income, but if these types of blocking methods are not effective at even inconveniencing Adblock users, I wonder if this might be a fruitless venture.

*I do not advocate the usage of Adblock, and white-list most sites.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Elfgore said:
Let me tell you a quick story about a lovely little site.

Fakku is one of the most well-known and legit hentai sites in the west. One day, they role out a new form of advertisement. This ad causes a small screen to load up in front of a hentai on the first page, you just hit exit and be on your merry way. Ad block users ran into an issue where the ad would not load and the hentai would be unable to easily change pages and the first page you selected would be blank. I noticed that someone in their forums placed a thread asking what was happening with this, he even straight up said "I think my ad-blocker is causing this". Jacob Grady, owner and founder of the website responds with "Yes, we aware that the new ad type causes issues solely for ad-block users. We have our tech team working on it ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience."

The owner of a website, which is most likely how he makes most of his money, is having his tech team fix something that is only effecting ad-block users and even apologized for it. You may be asking "Elfgore, what's the point with all this?" The point is that ad-block is something that website owners need to realize they can not stop. Trying to stop it just hurts yourself, as I'm sure most people would just travel to another site rather than deal with your annoyances. Several websites acknowledge this, Fakku, The Mod Nexus, and I'm sure many others. They understand ads are annoying, but they have to use them to keep the site afloat. Google, this is a terrible idea. People will just jump over to the next available browser rather than deal with your shit. You should just include a constant link to download Firefox throughout that whole 3 minute, un-skipable ad. Saves people some time at least.

I'm not condoning the use either. I just think that a large portion of the internet uses ad-block as an objective fact. Birds fly, fish swim, and people use ad-block a bunch.
If Google doesn't make any money off the ad-block crowd, then LET THEM jump ship

There's no reason to keep them. People forget that. If you ad-block, you usually give up your right to be heard. Some will do so anyway (like Fakku), but it's not a bad idea to ignore them.