Google Removes Forced Google+ Integration For YouTube

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
If mandatory integration of a Facebook wannabe wasn't bad enough on its own, the way they went about it was a complete clusterfuck. Back when this first happened, it walked me through some process to convert my account, offered the ability to create a custom name for my YouTube profile, stuff that actually made me appreciate the change, and then the next thing I know I somehow have three YouTube accounts: one with my real name, one with my avatar and the new name I had entered... and the original one that still had all my videos in it and now didn't even have an avatar or the ability to add one. I've never heard of it happening to anyone else, so maybe there was a fix for it, but I never did find out what it was. Somehow I doubt whatever they do next is going to fix it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RandV80 said:
Kind of showed a big shift in philosophy from Google. While this things were optional, they won't from promoting keeping your personal identity safe to 'hey everyone you should use your real name!'. Google was a company that started with a "do no evil" motto but this was the point where they really gave in to shareholders/advertisers to start doing Facebook style profiling & tracking to create targeted adds.
Still really not seeing a problem here. If I were to list the ways in which this has impacted me, I would make the first entry "[to be added]"

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I still remember every time I clicked "no" to that naggy integration message, my active YouTube session would get spammed with reminders like 10 times over on the top-bar. I'd link the video of someone showing what Google+'s advertised functions were VS reality, but I can't seem to find it.

Fuck Google+, you will not be missed. You deprived piece of absolute cancer.

Maybe once this shit disappears and GoogleTube reverts to YouTube, I can repost my videos again.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I didn't see the big deal about G+, I didn't see the harm. I don't see the problem or celebration in its "removal."

lacktheknack said:
YES. THIS IS GOOD.

Finally I can make my YouTube channel a free-floating entity owned by multiple people.
...you couldn't do that before?
Not if I already had connected it to my personal Google Plus account.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I do like seeing reply alerts in the corner, but that's a feature youtube accounts could have too, i absolutely hated when Google was constantly asking me to use my real name on my account and youtube channel but after they stopped pestering me to give away personal information it wasn't too bad, but that still soured my opinion of the service.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I was, for a while, accessing GMail and Youtube through different browsers just so I could be certain of maintaining a separate identity between the two. I don't post anything particularly inflammatory on Youtube, with regard to either videos or comments, but some of the people who post on Youtube are, well... Not the kind of people you want to be a few Google searches away from finding your address.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
It's been 5 years already?
I never bowed to the pressure, I never gave in. And now, victory is mine.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009

I have a Facebook account that I never use, but Google+ always seemed like a much better option. I wish more people would pick it up.

Itsuki93

Mar 16, 2015
Starik20X6 said:

I have a Facebook account that I never use, but Google+ always seemed like a much better option. I wish more people would pick it up.
And here I was thinking I was the only one.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Finally it died.
I hope google got the message that forcing it onto people doesn't work.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
huh I never thought google would go back on a decision they made for youtube. with how they have seemed to turn a blind eye to the outcry of all of their other youtube changes this sort of behavior from them is quite odd. could this possibly mean there is a small ray of hope for youtube changing back the comments section? ...oh please god.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Fina-fuckin'-ly! To quote the Prophet of Truth... There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009

Uhuru N said:
Well I can now comment on YouTube once more.
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Same here.

Problem is, I don't bother reading them at all now. Google forced this behaviour, now it's a habit. I choose to keep.
I, on the other hand, plan to start using my reclaimed privilege once more...if I can figure out some way to turn the comments back to the "time-sorted" organization, rather than the "comment+most upvoted response."

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Now my question is, will Google+ integration still be an option for people like having all the Google+ integration that makes Google+ so much superior to Facebook?

Edit: I still use Facebook more than G+, I hate social networking, but there are lots of very close friends and family I can only contact through Facebook reliably.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Not if I already had connected it to my personal Google Plus account.
Ah. Yes, well, that would make a difference.

Fortunately, I created my "crew channel" long after I created a G+ account for my personal YouTube account. So it has its own social page. As you do.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bigfatcarp93 said:
Fina-fuckin'-ly! To quote the Prophet of Truth... There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?
Probably mostly "meh."

Just a guess.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Now my question is, will Google+ integration still be an option for people like having all the Google+ integration that makes Google+ so much superior to Facebook?

Edit: I still use Facebook more than G+, I hate social networking, but there are lots of very close friends and family I can only contact through Facebook reliably.
Since they're saying there's an option to delink, I assume so. My question is, how does this work exactly? The one thing I liked about G+ is that I got notifications on comments for videos. This seems to devalue the one thing I personally liked.

...though like you, I don't really have much use for social media, period. I mostly use it to keep track of friends and family. There have been a few rants as well, but...mostly just because nobody in my life picks up a phone anymore. Except to check Facebook.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Since they're saying there's an option to delink, I assume so. My question is, how does this work exactly? The one thing I liked about G+ is that I got notifications on comments for videos. This seems to devalue the one thing I personally liked.
I got notifications for video comments long before Google came along...unless you mean social network profile notifications, in which case I don't know (I received email notifications).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
I got notifications for video comments long before Google came along...unless you mean social network profile notifications, in which case I don't know (I received email notifications).
I meant the handy little box in the upper-right corner. The email notifications thing works for me about 50 percent of the time. G+ is at least closer to 90. Not perfect, but more reliable.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:

...though like you, I don't really have much use for social media, period. I mostly use it to keep track of friends and family. There have been a few rants as well, but...mostly just because nobody in my life picks up a phone anymore. Except to check Facebook.
That's good, at least for the people who do get lots of utility out of Google+'s integration features. Personally I don't but it's nice to have because something always miss my gmail account.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
NeutralDrow said:
Uhuru N said:
Well I can now comment on YouTube once more.
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Same here.

Problem is, I don't bother reading them at all now. Google forced this behaviour, now it's a habit. I choose to keep.
I, on the other hand, plan to start using my reclaimed privilege once more...if I can figure out some way to turn the comments back to the "time-sorted" organization, rather than the "comment+most upvoted response."
Seriously, they do that crap now and worse default it?
I don't give a damn what others think of any specific post, never mind sorting them in such a stupid way.

Having sorting choices is perfectly OK, but default should always be in the order they were originally written.
Oldest is first, newest is last.

Making changing the order difficult, is another turn off, not reading comments filtered by other peoples biases.