Google Removes Images From UK Street View

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Jamash said:
Nimbus said:
There should be some law, that if you do something in public, in broad daylight, then it's in the public domain.
So, if a website called The World's Biggest Cry-Babies had a photo of you blubbing at a loved one's funeral, you'd be perfect fine with that, since it was in the public domain?

How about if the website had a hyperlink next to your photo, linking to it's affiliated site www.rubberneck.com - We gawk so you don't have to with photos of the same loved one's last, undignified moments as they lay twisted and mangled in the car wreck which claimed their life?

What about in you got beaten up or mugged, and images of your plight appeared on Beat Downs - The Biggest Pussies in the World.com?

I know I'm coming up with extreme examples, but my point is that not everything which happens in broad daylight should be in the public domain.
There is a difference between something being public, and using something out of context to slander someone.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Nimbus said:
There is a difference between something being public, and using something out of context to slander someone.
Something that happens all the time on the net.

I strongly beleive this should never have been allowed to take place - not only do people NOT need this service, but it is unethical and unfair. Journalists are not allowed to take photographs of policeman, but Google is allowed to take photos of use without permission and stick them on the net because they are a huge company. Thats democratic...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"We want this to be a useful tool."

Am I the only one puzzled by this statement? I mean, really... to the average joe, how is Street View useful in any capacity greater than a novelty?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
"We want this to be a useful tool."

Am I the only one puzzled by this statement? I mean, really... to the average joe, how is Street View useful in any capacity greater than a novelty?
Route planning. Rather than just looking at a map, you can literally see where you're going.

Fondant said:
Google is watching you!
Not exactly. More like, "Google once took a picture of a street that you might have been on".

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Google street view says I have no mailbox, and that I live in a street sign.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Smiles said:
Maybe if people realize they are being watched by Google they will think twice before doing something stupid.
I shall think twice, then do something DOUBLY as stupid!

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
I thought it was an amazing service. Just amazing. The people who want it removed are just ignorant or petty. No one knows who they are, and no one cares anyway.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Its pretty cool just looking around London, though there censoring isn't very effective, I've seen loads of cars with unblurred numberplate's and seen a few people in compromising situations, still fun to look at, I feel like god. Hope they map more of England.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Doesn't London have the biggest array of CCTV cameras?

Combine that with Goole Street View?

Soon, Google will have live-feed video watching the streets, and live-broadcast satellites for Google Earth users! And thus, we ALL become Big Brother. Ah! Good times.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
You can't see my house anyway because it's obstructed by a tree and it stops just before reaching me... unlucky dead ducky, Google.