Google Wave invites

Voltaggia

Mar 22, 2009
Anyone got a Google Wave account with some invites left? I don't, and I'm hoping someone has. Because this thread is for begging people to give you one.

((If I actually manage to get an invite off here, I'll spend half of them on people here. Anyone?))

Voltaggia

Mar 22, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

Google's greatest new project. In closed beta.

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
It's some kind of amalgamation of email, IM, and social networking, in an almost wiki like format. Unfortunately, I don't have access, though I would love to try it, since descriptions of it don't give a great grasp on how it works, and I'd rather get to try it firsthand ^^;

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Voltaggia said:
<color=black>"In closed beta."
Key words.

If you don't have one, it's probably for a good reason. Ask a mod to lock this thread if you know what's good for you.

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
It may be in closed beta, but much like when they rolled out gmail, some users are being given invites, and can invite a limited number of people to it. Also, "if you know what's good for you" ? You sound like a bad movie villain ^^;

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
I have read the forum rules, I don't recall this being against them. If I'm wrong, I'll humbly retract that though.

In the meantime, TC, have you tried requesting an invitation off of the Wave website?

http://wave.google.com/help/wave/closed.html

Link is towards the bottom. I hope someone on here has one, I'd like to hear people's views on it.

Voltaggia

Mar 22, 2009
They've only set out 100k invites, and the choice was random. Basically, it's like GMail when it first came out.

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
You should still request one, knowing google, they'll send out a load more pretty soon. I've sent in my request ^^

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
"Posting is an art; be proud of your work. A good thread will generate discussion. Will it bring something new to the table and will you want to participate in the discussion it creates? We don't expect every thread to be incredibly deep and thought provoking, but every thread should engage the community in a positive way."

I would say sharing invites is engaging the community, and if people do have or gain access to Wave, I can imagine the thread generating discussion. I can see how you might not like the idea of a thread begging, but I don't see it being against the rules. Maybe not the most thrilling of threads, but still a valid one.

Voltaggia

Mar 22, 2009
Well, as long as one of us people not blessed with incredible luck / friends with incredible luck / friends who have friends with incredible luck gets an invite, we all profit from it :)

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I just finished watching through the video, and I'm definitely sold on the concept. Collaberative editing? Real time typo correction? Character by character live messaging? So many great features.

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
I got one! I'm lucky, my girlfriend got a developers account, they gave them to people who attended a seminar thing in the summer (she was picked to go from her programming course). So now I'm messing around on the twin to that one. No invites to give out, unfortunately, it says they'll be coming soon though. It's a great app, I can see some of these features being really groundbreaking.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Sounds like a clusterfuck to me. I can't stand the idea of my social networking, IM (don't even have IM right now), and e-mail in one place.

It's like when I sign into steam, and some guy I added to my friends list five years ago messages me. I signed in to play a motherfucking game, not chat!!!

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Voltaggia said:
It still turned out as a discussion thread :p
Google is sending them out in random intervals to those that requested invites.
If you didn't get one this batch then wait until the next batch. It's against the wave user agreement to discuss it outside of the Wave beta boards. So eh...
sorry dude, chances of getting an invite from anyone here is kind of slim.

EDIT: As for the invites coming soon, they said the same thing about google voice and they've yet to give us invites for that either so...yeah.