Google+?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Started using google+ a couple of weeks ago, and thus far I really like it. It promotes itself as being facebook with a decent grouping system, and does just that. Sure, it's a little empty right now, but that'll change in the coming months (and isn't necessarily a bad thing)

Anyone else here using it? What d'you reckon so far? And are any of those who are militantly opposed to facebook considering google+ instead?

Side-note: Can we get a google+ thing in our profiles please?

pope_of_larry

Oct 18, 2009
I got into Google plus a few weeks ago and so far, I LOVE IT i don't have to read pages of useless stuff to get the few peaces of info i want to read.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
It's facebook, but not!

Honestly, I've tried to avoid such things as much as possible, but people all around me keep telling me to do the whole social network stuff... BUT I DON'T CAVE TO PEER PRESSURE!

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Johnnyallstar said:
It's facebook, but not!

Honestly, I've tried to avoid such things as much as possible, but people all around me keep telling me to do the whole social network stuff... BUT I DON'T CAVE TO PEER PRESSURE!
It really, really isn't Facebook but not facebook.

Its WAY, WAY Better than facebook in every single way.

Apart from the lack of people in the beta. But that will change when it goes live.

Also this

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'm desperately trying to get in to google+, it's like a shiny toy taunting the orphan child.
-to quote Yahtzee Crosshaw

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I think I prefer it to Facebook.

There isn't as much to do on it at the moment what with it being mildly deserted and not having any games or whatnot, but the main UI and profiles/newsfeed parts I much prefer.

I really like the way it handles notifications, where you can check new comments without having to completely load up a new page to respond. The mild effects make everything feel nicer and make going back to Facebook's static parts a bit stiff.

Not uploaded much but the one time I used Picasa and the desktop program to upload the images was really simple and quick. Having heard of many problems when uploading a large amount of images to Facebook, like having to refresh the page and losing 10 minutes of uploading, having a separate program as an option of uploading means that won't happen.

Being able to choose who sees your updates is good as well, one of the huge reasons I don't bother updating my Facebook status much is because I know not everyone wants to read the shit I'm talking about. Being able to tailor the updates for the people I think would be interested seems a very good idea.

I don't use Facebook too often, but one of the major things I use it for is organising events and seeing what is on, which it does very well. Google+ has nothing I've seen that handles events and inviting people to things happening offline, so that's a fairly big downside for me. I'm certain that will be on of the next things to be implemented.

So far in limited testing I'm much happier using Google+, but I'm still using Facebook a lot more.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Yeah, I use it. I had problems with the hangouts. Settings just kept resetting themselves and the stream froze every so often. It was quite annoying. The rest of it has been pretty good but it's just that one feature that annoyed me ><

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I got an invite early on, loving it now more of my friends are in. Far superior in concept to facebook, I hope it takes off even further.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Well I only use Facebook as a cheap and easy way to talk to friends about schoolwork and stuff but I don't like what Facebook is becoming. The only reason why I haven't gone to Google+ is because no friends are on there.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I don't get it... what's wrong with Facebook?
pope_of_larry said:
I got into Google plus a few weeks ago and so far, I LOVE IT i don't have to read pages of useless stuff to get the few peaces of info i want to read.
What useless information?
All of my friends are on FB, I use it to chat, share pictures and for party invites just like everyone else. Why is it suddenly bad and what makes Google+ so much better?
This all sounds kinda ridiculous...

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
All of these social networks will be necessary for me in the future, but not right now. A freelancer can't survive today unless they're facebook pally-wals with everyone and anyone who might need work done.

So I haven't tried it, but I've heard really good things from people I know and obviously people in this thread.

The thing that sets it apart is that it's similar to facebook without the content hook that facebook has. And if you've ever watched one of those fb conspiracy vids, you'll know that they have ties with everyone under the sun including the CIA. creepy man. creepy.

However, google's no better. Their ads are pinpointed even on the escapist. Been searching newegg lately? I bet you're seeing ads for newegg products in most websites you're visiting.

Freedom? Fuck it, give me tailored advertisements instead!

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I dislike facebook, I dislike the idea of having anything I might google attached to a social network even more.

Kizo

Jul 5, 2008
Google+ is already better than Facebook, regardless of how many people are on either one, for the simple reason that Google actually knows how to properly design a website. Literally every single Facebook redesign has been worse than the last.

Of course, that's not to diminish how great G+ is. Circles alone are worth migrating, but the integration across Google's other services (something FB could never hope to match) is brilliant, Hangouts are great, Sparks are convenient, and so on. Plus, the privacy settings and ownership of content are far superior on G+.

Facebook is only still useful because people are still on it. I find myself visiting it less and less, and once enough of my contacts have migrated, I'll happily treat Facebook like MySpace by ignoring it for a few years then deleting my account.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ugh, been signed on for beta for a long time now with no luck whatsoever. *pleading for an invite*

pope_of_larry

Oct 18, 2009
CrashBang said:
pope_of_larry said:
All of my friends are on FB, I use it to chat, share pictures and for party invites just like everyone else. Why is it suddenly bad and what makes Google+ so much better?
a Facebook friend of mine said:
up at five in the morning by accident again reading a snapexlily fanfic.

Lily imitated the fat lady and asked, "Password?"

"Te Amo" was Severus' reply. Lily didn't recognize that as a spell, could it be a potion or ingredient?

ADORABLE. &#9829;
going to bed after this chapter. goodnight all~.
That kind of useless info.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I only found out about it a couple of days ago.
It sounds okay, I guess.
Might give it a shot eventually.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
CrashBang said:
pope_of_larry said:
So much stuff I don't care about. "A friend of mine liked a strangers photo? Well that was good to know."