Google's 20th Employee Lists The Company's Three Biggest Mistakes

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
Holy moly. I can't get over how young one of the top people in one of the top corporations is. It looks like they hired her when she was twelve.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
"Perhaps shutting down Deja News at 11 a.m. on a Monday morning and not really having any way to post to or browse newsgroups was perhaps a mistake,"
Are you from the department of redundancy department by any chance?

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I do know that the Loading Ready Run guys loved using Wave to discuss and brainstorm ideas for sketches and it was so useful for them that they had to search for a replacement. I myself thought was interesting idea to play RPGs over the web in a better format than forum games do now.
I don't suppose you have any idea what replacement they went with, do you?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Madmanonfire said:
Okay, this is getting annoying.
Why is "dished" being used so much now? It's not a verb for speaking. It's an adjective.
Languages evolve. Words get verbed all the time.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Google Wave was amazingly useful in my senior animation Thesis. Collaborating with my partner on notes and accessing them was a lot easier with it. Plus we could update shot status and add our own thoughts to any notes without having to be in the same room all the time.

Wave's failure was not in how it performed or its features. Everything it did, it did well. It's failure was in getting folks to adopt it as a primary platform. It wasn't really compatible with e-mail without special extensions, so the only real chance it had of adoption was somehow convincing everyone to simultaneously switch. But there's been so many improvements in e-mail since its inception, that switching to Wave for what would seem like only minor improvements didn't make sense. Wave's success depended on e-mail getting phased out, which is very hard to do.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Google Buzz is basically Twitter. Except in the beginning if people used it, it published their contact list to their profile and their location without people's knowledge it was doing so.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
rsvp42 said:
Wave's failure was not in how it performed or its features. Everything it did, it did well. It's failure was in getting folks to adopt it as a primary platform. It wasn't really compatible with e-mail without special extensions, so the only real chance it had of adoption was somehow convincing everyone to simultaneously switch. But there's been so many improvements in e-mail since its inception, that switching to Wave for what would seem like only minor improvements didn't make sense. Wave's success depended on e-mail getting phased out, which is very hard to do.
Google also announced that they are planning on releasing the source code to public. Wave in a Box is what they are calling it. I used Google Wave for months as a platform for roleplaying, and it was the best platform for online gaming I have seen so far. When Wave in a Box is released to the public, I'll be sure to put up my own Wave server, and just continue on developing the service for my own use.

You can read all about it from here --> http://googlewavedev.blogspot.com/2010/09/wave-open-source-next-steps-wave-in-box.html

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Madmanonfire said:
Why is "dished" being used so much now? It's not a verb for speaking. It's an adjective.
I don't think I've ever heard it used as an adjective before. Nouns and verbs; all the time (though the verb form is used as much for putting food onto plates as it is gossiping). The word is clearly sufficiently popular in use that no-one had any real trouble reading it and understanding it. I struggle to see the issue here.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
Dictionary.com [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dish] begs to differ.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Gruchul said:
I don't think I've ever heard it used as an adjective before. Nouns and verbs; all the time (though the verb form is used as much for putting food onto plates as it is gossiping). The word is clearly sufficiently popular in use that no-one had any real trouble reading it and understanding it. I struggle to see the issue here.
That's because it's not a common adjective to use, but the definition exists. My inner "grammar nazi" doesn't like it because it's suddenly being used as slang in a bunch of posts, and I'm just unfamiliar with it.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
Would you care to show me where I'm wrong in the definition of "dished"?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Taken directly from the link I provided:
verb (used with object)
11. to put into or serve in a dish, as food: to dish food onto plates.
12. to fashion like a dish; make concave.
13. Slang. to gossip about: They talked all night, dishing their former friends.
14. Slang. to defeat; frustrate; cheat.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Madmanonfire said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Taken directly from the link I provided:
verb (used with object)
11. to put into or serve in a dish, as food: to dish food onto plates.
12. to fashion like a dish; make concave.
13. Slang. to gossip about: They talked all night, dishing their former friends.
14. Slang. to defeat; frustrate; cheat.
Sorry, but that's under the definition of "dish", not "dished". I know dictionaries can be a little hard to understand at first, but it shouldn't be that hard to read something as simple as "dish" at the top of the list you quoted.
(Yes, I'm being stupidly technical.)

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Sorry off topic, but how much of a babe? Wish there were more engineers like this in the industry. Getting fed up of sharing offices with middle aged men....

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
Sorry, but that's under the definition of "dish", not "dished". I know dictionaries can be a little hard to understand at first, but it shouldn't be that hard to read something as simple as "dish" at the top of the list you quoted.
(Yes, I'm being stupidly technical.)
Go ahead and show me any case where adding "-ed" to a verb to make it past-tense where it drastically changes the definition of the word. Cause... I honestly don't think there's even one case of it.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
I personally thought that Wave did what it did very well, but I never had a specific use for it.
Well, that's exactly the problem, isn't it? You really have to try hard to find a purpose for it. I thought about it a while, but couldn't think of anything that I wouldn't rather use Google Docs, Gmail, or Google Talk for.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
what, am i the only one who remembers <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Web_Accelerator>Google's web Accelerator?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'm just glad Gmail is working well without all its constant glitches in 2006