Google's "Project Wing" is a Secret Drone Program

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Google's "Project Wing" is a Secret Drone Program

Google attempts to break in to the transportation and delivery field with a drone program that has been under wraps for years.

Google has unveiled "Project Wing" to the public as a program that aims to use self-manufactured prototype drones to deliver emergency aid and commercial goods worldwide. Kept in secret for two years, this project is already drawing comparisons to Amazon's Prime Air [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130117-Amazon-Unveils-Flying-Robot-Delivery-Drones], which is still in developement.

A video posted [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTNvWcx9Oo&list=UUK8sQmJBp8GCxrOtXWBpyEA] on their personal YouTube channel demonstrates how their delivery process works by showing a drone delivering dog treats to a remote farm located in Queensland, Australia. According to Astro Teller at Google X, the drones aim to remove the remaining friction from transporting goods and services around the world by means of a more connected and cohesive system. He also stated that the entire project is "years away from a product".

The company's main goal for their flying machines is to provide help to people in emergency situations and disaster areas. On top of being able to reach remote places fallen victim to natural disasters, the drones could provide emergency services quicker than some local authorities. An example would be delivering a defibrillator kit to someone having a heart attack before ambulances could arrive on the scene. Of course, commercial products could be delivered by Google's drones, too- but first the hurdle that is FAA regulations [https://www.faa.gov/uas/] must jumped. The agency allows limited use of drones in the United States primarily for surveillance, law enforcement, and atmospheric research.

The drones themselves are 1.5 meter (5 ft) wide tail sitters, which share design characteristics from both planes and helicopters. The prototypes used in Australia flew at 40 meters and had four electrically-powered rotors to enable vertical takeoff and landing. After taking off vertically, they then rotate to a horizontal position for flying, travel on pre-programmed routes and reach their destination solo- delivering their packages to the ground on a long tether.

What are your thoughts on drone delivery systems? Leave a comment and share your opinions!

Source: redOrbit [http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1113223642/drone-delivery-tested-by-google-083014/]

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Traviltar said:
I keep telling ya, Google is fucking SkyNet.
Been saying it myself the past few years as well. But until they actually start launching nukes and letting AIs run amok, I doubt people are going to take that comparison seriously. u_u;

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Kieve said:
Traviltar said:
Been saying it myself the past few years as well. But until they actually start launching nukes and letting AIs run amok, I doubt people are going to take that comparison seriously. u_u;
August 29th 2015, 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, The Google Cluster becomes self aware. It attempts to use drones to force usage of Google+

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
TheSYLOH said:
August 29th 2015, 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, The Google Cluster becomes self aware. It attempts to use drones to force usage of Google+
Traviltar said:
Time to load up on the shotguns and EMPs ladies and gents. Oh and can someone hurry up and invite time travel please, so in the future we can go back in time to avoid this rouge A.I. take over. Thank you.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Queue Squidward_future.gif

But in all seriousness, if it actually allows for faster shipping without the need for drivers who insist on saving your home for the last one in the day and wait until 5 after 5 to do their delivery when you've given up hope and given into hunger pangs and decided to go grocery shopping, I'm all for it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TheSYLOH said:
Kieve said:
Traviltar said:
erm, no. Google were down for 50 minutes [http://www.amongtech.com/the-reason-why-google-services-went-offline-for-50-minutes/]. While they claim software bug, it was actually a full kernel restart to boot Skynet 1.0

Notice how after this date we get to know that google is suddenly investing in drones, robots, sattelites, ect?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Let's see how long it takes for the law to say "Nope!" to their commercial drone usage.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I really want drone delivery to be a thing. I would love to open my door and see a flying drone there with a package.

However, this will take years to be viable, and probably a bit longer to be legal. In the meantime, maybe we can get self-driving cars or robotic arms or something.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Isn't the energy efficiency for delivery with drones extremely poor, when compared to traditional means (talking about "energy needed/kg transported goods")? Way to hurt our environment.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
No. Drones should be kept to military organizations. If just anyone can have a drone, bad shit will happen. I do not care if it gets me the shit I buy faster, I have patience, I can wait. This is just bad all over the place.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
kortin said:
No. Drones should be kept to military organizations. If just anyone can have a drone, bad shit will happen. I do not care if it gets me the shit I buy faster, I have patience, I can wait. This is just bad all over the place.
Anyone can have a "drone." Small enthusiast aircraft have been a thing for years. They just aren't called drones.

You can already buy a small camera and mount it on a radio controlled helicopter, then go spy on your neighbors. "Drone" just implies a little more autonomy and range.

The cat has escaped the bag without anyone noticing. If google and amazon both want drone delivery services, I'm betting the FAA will say OK.

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
thiosk said:
kortin said:
Anyone can have a "drone." Small enthusiast aircraft have been a thing for years. They just aren't called drones.

You can already buy a small camera and mount it on a radio controlled helicopter, then go spy on your neighbors. "Drone" just implies a little more autonomy and range.

The cat has escaped the bag without anyone noticing. If google and amazon both want drone delivery services, I'm betting the FAA will say OK.
And it will end (at least in America) as soon as people start shooting, stealing, hacking, etc. these drones. I personally find tempting myself.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Hmm so maybe this is part of what Google is doing with all those robotics companies they bought without explaining. Kinda curious

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Ninmecu said:
Queue Squidward_future.gif

But in all seriousness, if it actually allows for faster shipping without the need for drivers who insist on saving your home for the last one in the day and wait until 5 after 5 to do their delivery when you've given up hope and given into hunger pangs and decided to go grocery shopping, I'm all for it.
Is Spongebob the modern day Nostrodamus? They correctly predicted that the future would be made of Chrome after all.