Gore Verbinski Chooses BioShock Over Pirates

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Broken Wings said:
I'm not sure if calling the new pirates a sure thing is quite accurate, how many movie series have still been good by the 4th movie?
wierd thing was, i just last night said that i wasnt sure if i really wanted a 4th pirates film.

tbh i think id rather them spend time on bioshock and leave pirates, pirstes movies were good, but lets leave them while they remain good. well IMO anyway ;)

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
TheBluesader said:
I know we're all being so witty and everything, but here's the cold, hard truth: both the Matrix and Pirates movies were product put out by companies to make money. You're allowed to like them, but your liking them does not give you ownership of them, so you don't get to decide what is "allowed" or "unallowed" to be considered part of the franchise.

There were three Pirates movies. There were three Matrix movies. There were a lot of Batman movies. There were also a lot of Superman movies, Star Wars had a prequel trilogy, and DC Comics has Wonder Woman flying. We may not all agree with the creative choices made, but they were in fact made, and that's just the way it is.

Maybe I'm getting too serious, but I'm so tried of the "oh, forget about those" thing. I'm not going to defend all that stuff, but I'm also not going to agree to call it all crap just because a host of fans thinks the conclusions they've come up with for other people's stories are better. It's not your or my choice to make.

And on a personal note, I'm allowed to not like the first Pirate's movie. I found it over-produced, inconsistently written, historically inaccurate, lacking in humor, charm and whimsy, and obviously desperate for attention. I'm not "going to hell" because I have an opinion.

Okay, snarkiness over
This is just a silly post. I'm not sure where you got the impression that people expressing their opinions on what they believe to be canonical and what they believe to be a decently made movie or a poorly made one means anyone, even for a second, thinks that they also retain ownership of a film and can "allow" others to like or dislike it. I don't even know how to respond to such a claim. We're just expressing our opinions, and sometimes, such as in my case, adding some arrogant humour into it.

If you thought for a second that my comment meant I truly believe you are going to be sent to hell, as opposed to "How could you say something like that? :-O" then you need to fix your perception of reality.

As to your "you don't get to decide attitude", I actually think you're mistaken there. In a sense, art doesn't belong to the creator - some would argue that once something is made, it belongs to the fans. Fans support it, scrutinize it, decide its existence, obsess over it, and decide how to interpret it. It's not so much that the fans have a right to decide as it is that the fans will naturally be the ones to decide, because a work only lives on through it's fans.

Finally, obviously you're a allowed to dislike the Pirates movie... And I'm allowed to think there should be a special section of hell reserved for people like that. Do you disagree that I'm entitled to my opinion as well?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
CapnJack said:
Finally, obviously you're a allowed to dislike the Pirates movie... And I'm allowed to think there should be a special section of hell reserved for people like that. Do you disagree that I'm entitled to my opinion as well?
If your opinion is that I should be tortured forever in the Afterlife because I don't like the same kid's movie you do, then yes, I disagree that you are entitled to that opinion.

And if that really isn't what you mean, you shouldn't say it, because even as a literary device saying something like that is pretty extreme. Especially, again, about a kid's movie.

Personally I don't believe in hell anyway, so I'm not all that worried about going there. But socially it is an unpleasant thing to say to someone, at any rate.

Especially in regards to a kid's movie. A kid's movie that was not that good.

:)

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
CapnJack said:
Um, a bit extreme over film interests.
Yes people are entitled to their own opinions, but that's just ridiculous.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
TheBluesader said:
If your opinion is that I should be tortured forever in the Afterlife because I don't like the same kid's movie you do, then yes, I disagree that you are entitled to that opinion.

And if that really isn't what you mean, you shouldn't say it, because even as a literary device saying something like that is pretty extreme. Especially, again, about a kid's movie.

Personally I don't believe in hell anyway, so I'm not all that worried about going there. But socially it is an unpleasant thing to say to someone, at any rate.

Especially in regards to a kid's movie. A kid's movie that was not that good.

:)
Continuing such an argument, especially in this thread, would be useless. Nevermind the fact that my comment was harmless humour. I really have no interest to debate with someone who is so... sensitive.

Ula said:
Um, a bit extreme over film interests.
Yes people are entitled to their own opinions, but that's just ridiculous.
And I would agree if it weren't clearly just a joke.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Verbinski shant disappoint! If he does we'll have to torture him in the dungeon with old ABBA records.

SG Xibalba

Feb 9, 2009
RebelRising said:
I can't believe I'm saying this...but the one name that really comes to mind when I think of who should direct Bioshock is:

M. Night Shymalan
You DID see 'The Happening' and 'Lady In The Water', right? He's not infallible.

My money is on Verbinski for sure.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
SG Xibalba said:
RebelRising said:
I can't believe I'm saying this...but the one name that really comes to mind when I think of who should direct Bioshock is:

M. Night Shymalan
You DID see 'The Happening' and 'Lady In The Water', right? He's not infallible.

My money is on Verbinski for sure.
Oh no, I hated those two. But his early stuff was pretty unforgettable. Bioshock had same sort of dark atmosphere and that twist closer to the end. The truth is that, director-wise, anybody is a wild card.

Verbinski had better not fuck up, though. I would still vouch for Night if he wasn't working on freakin' Avatar: The Last Airbender

P.S. Cool avatar.