Got the performance review at my job, and it wasn't great

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I'm a Data Analyst for a state university. I'm part of the support team, which means I assist various teams with their projects, and I switch teams every few months or so. At the end of my stay with a team, their managers talk to my manager regarding my work. And so far, every single one of them has viewed me favorably. Except for the last team.

I think the way it works is the other manager first gives a brief description of me working with them, then write a formal report on my work. My manager has shared the review with me, and basically, they said:

"OP is great in terms of energy, and he was eager to work on whatever tasks he asked him to do so. However, his communication was all over the place, and whenever we asked him for an update he seemed to give vague answers. Lastly, his work was left to be desired and had a lot of problems, and we found it was more efficient to create and run the script ourselves rather than continue to use his work"

I had a talk with my manager today. my defenses were:
  • It is true the communication was a bit all over the place, but this was because they didn't seem to have a definite communication channel. Every other team I've joined so far had dedicated slack (communication tool) channels for specific purposes, and this team kept creating new ones or open new DM chat
  • I gave vague answers because this is what I thought they had wanted. Granted I should've asked for clarification, but based on the documents they provided I gave them updates on what I was working on
  • Their code was already a mess to work with. I am pretty sure I left comments on what/how I changed them. I made sure it was standardized for the team, yet it still failed when others used it.
  • I also got grad school and volunteering stuff to work with outside of the job. I have little room to review my work.

My manager also added that my performance improvement was taking longer than expected. (I have been with the organization for 1.5 years. The performance improvement is expected to happen after 1 year)

Overall, my manager was very understanding and I think our talk ended well with coming up with a performance improvement plan. While I will work on following through with these plans, I also found them to be really unmotivating, especially after receiving such scathing reviews.

IDK, I really liked this organization at first, but after getting those reviews I am thinking of maybe joining the team that liked having me and ditching the support team, or leave the organization altogether. The job markets really open in my area, so I don't think it'll take too long for me to find another.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Yeah, maybe move on dude. I worked 9 years for a university that was a great environment and a good office but the job itself and my line manager sucked balls. Eventually I left. It wasn't right, so moved again after less than a year and found a job that I feel appreciated in and can do with far less stress. Moving on was the best thing for me. Go where you feel appreciated.

Edit: One unfavourable review isn't too bad, yeah maybe join one of the teams you got on well with.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
In my performance review my manager called me immature and made comments about my ego getting in my way. He also said I wasn't a team player despite the fact that I constantly help out the rest of the maintenance team without being asked.

I've got a job interview on Monday and I'm not even joking.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
So you regularly work with different teams and now one specific team gave you a bad review. A team where you yourself found both their code and their work organisation not mesh well with you.

Don't put too much importance in it. You are just a bad fit for this particular team. And now your manager knows this and if they properly do their job won't assign you again to them as long as other options exist.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I had today a "Not-Review" but a "The HR-Lady would like to talk to us in our daily briefing"

Well, my general tardiness, terrible time-management and procrastination is being felt... (I am really trying and this is the best job i ever had; but i am burned out, depressed and according to my old therapist might have a "procrastination-disorder"... well that tracks, i have problems starting AND concluding projects, tasks, support tickets)

Well, i am being sent to a self-management course as an ass-kick.
Also there will be someone new hired, same position (From their perspective to help with the workload)

All-in-all very polite. And i appreciate them giving me chances. No accusations. Always a "We understand you have a lot on your plate".

I accepted fault (I am terrible inefficient for months now), but didn't tell the whole truth: That i dream of escaping work about half (often more) my waking day and fighting mornings up to two hours to come out of bed and evenings to go to sleep.

Reactions: gorfias

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
In my performance review my manager called me immature and made comments about my ego getting in my way. He also said I wasn't a team player despite the fact that I constantly help out the rest of the maintenance team without being asked.

I've got a job interview on Monday and I'm not even joking.
For anybody curious, I got the job and will be making $40 000 a year more than I do now and better benefits as well.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
For anybody curious, I got the job and will be making $40 000 a year more than I do now and better benefits as well.
Nice, once you get just a couple years of experience, you got enough to have plenty of leverage and power. Most people don't realize how much power they have, you can say "no" to a lot.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Well, I guess I should give my own update.

I had another meeting with my manager. Ever since our last meeting, I tried to follow through with the strategies that we came up with, and keep those practices going. She also had a brief chat with the current chat I'm assisting, and wouldn't you know it, they absolutely love me! So everything is back to normal.

I think the lesson was that I always should have a ready-to-learn mindset, and that I can't please everyone.

Regardless, I am still thinking about finding work somewhere else. Not actively right now, but maybe after I get my master's