GOTY (and PGOTY) Discussion

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Inspired by Old_Hunter_77’s post (and #6,000 for the News thread!).

The best part is we can even one-up “The Game Awards” for its lack of write-in’s and being limited to 2022 releases. Oh, and their Portrait Mode bs on mobile.

What is “PGOTY”, you might ask? Well that’s when someone chooses a game released prior to 2022, as a personal pick. Yes, we roll that way up in here!

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, being "Game of the Year" sort of implies that the scope is limited to this year....
Depends on how you look at it. Whether "best game released this year" or "best game you played this year"

If the former I'd have to give it to Xenoblade Chronicles 3. But XC3 is not my pick for the latter. That would be Unsighted.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Of games that came out this year, Elden Ring. To be fair, I haven't played very many games that came out this year, with a vast majority of said games being older ones I'm finally getting around to, so that limits the pool substantially.

Granted, given the choice of games I PLAYED this year, Elden Ring will probably still be the one that comes out on top, despite enjoying many games this yeah. Mostly because the game has spent a large amount of the year living rent free in my head and I've spent quite a few hours watching/listening to lore videos about Elden Ring to get a better appreciation for what the hell is going on.

I think a big part of it is that I've been playing a lot of longer games this year so as a result I've played fewer games then I normally would have and most of them have been RPGs. For the past couple months, I've been playing almost nothing besides Dragon Age games and that'll probably go till January....and then I'll figure out where I want to go next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I might have to bump Ragnarok down to normal diff just to avoid the excessive death screens and reloads on PS4, and improve my odds of actually finishing the game sooner than later. Never got around to installing my new SSD but one of these days I guess. Gotta pick my battles one day at a time yo.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Freedom Planet 2

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well out of the actual 2022 games I've played this year, Tunic.

Granted, thats a thin field of Elden Ring, Cult of the Lamb, Tunic, Stranger in Paradise and an as yet incomplete Ghost Song. (and possibly a few others via PSPlus that I didn't know if they came out this year or not)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nuttin' so far.

Elden Ring was very impressive, but it was still a Souls game with all the annoying parts that come with it, Horizon: Forbidden West was a big, numbing, bloated sequel, and God of War: Ragnarok was just the most profound 'eh' I've experienced in recent years. God, Sony first-party games have really been leaving me cold the last 4 years or so.

I might actually have to give it to Elden Ring since it at least provided me with moments of genuine awe.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I have only played two 2022 releases, which were Aperture Desk Job, and Vampire Survivors.

So I guess it is Vampire Survivors.

As for the best game that I have played this year (that isn't one that I have played previously), probably Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Im still surprised as to how much I loved that campaign.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, looking back at the games I played this year I have to go with Weird West? It is the only new game that isn't still in early access that even caught my interest in 2022. And that's too bad, WW is fun but no real GOTY contender. I worked quite a bit on my backlog, only to find I wasn't missing much giving those games a miss first time around. So I also don't have much of a PGOTY standout either. Really is looking like a weak video game release year.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, I'll play.

GOTY: The only possible contenders are Overwatch 2, Diablo Immortal, and Sonic Frontiers, which I'm currently playing. Since I can't really rank Frontiers right now, OW2 gets the top spot.

PGOTY: Well, that depends on whether you consider Overwatch a separate game from Overwatch 2. If you do, then it wins PGOTY, because I played it in 2022 before OW2 was released. If you don't consider it separate, then I guess Gears Tactics.

That being said, I did a tier list for shits and giggles, so do the math yourself. Self-explanatory, higher it is in the tier, higher it is.

S TIER

-Overwatch 2 (if, however, you factor in the wider context, it gets bumped down to A TIER)

A TIER

-Overwatch (as in, the original - technically played both, can never play OW1 again, hence the stuff I mentioned above)
-Sonic Frontiers (as of this time of writing, haven't beaten it yet - it's either low A tier, or high B tier)

B TIER

-Gears Tactics

C TIER

-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Apex Legends (currently playing this, subject to change)
-World of Warcraft
-Batman: The Telltale Series - Season 1
-Diablo Immortal

D TIER

-Red Faction II
-Quake Champions
-Battlefield 2042

F TIER

N/A

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nuttin' so far.

Elden Ring was very impressive, but it was still a Souls game with all the annoying parts that come with it, Horizon: Forbidden West was a big, numbing, bloated sequel, and God of War: Ragnarok was just the most profound 'eh' I've experienced in recent years. God, Sony first-party games have really been leaving me cold the last 4 years or so.

I might actually have to give it to Elden Ring since it at least provided me with moments of genuine awe.
Do you think it’s because most of them suffer from a feeling of sequelitis moreso than something like ER? It sounded like you really dug the story/characters in Rag overall.

Reactions: BrawlMan