GOTYTDCOTY 2017

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I finished Xenoblade Chronicles recently but I started it a couple of years ago so if that doesn't count I'll probably go with Darksiders 2

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
This was a year of firsts for me. I played Bloodborne for the first time this year. I think it is one of the best games on the PS4, and I also think its From Software's best game. DS3 just wasn't as tightly designed for me.

I also played Bioshock Infinite for the first time this year. I have no idea how, but I somehow made it 5 years without being spoiled for the game, so it was all fresh. I think the game is a masterpiece. I understand why some people say the gameplay dragged down the narrative, but I personally loved it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Dishonored 2 or Mankind Divided. Maybe ESO because its been almost 2 years and I'm still playing. The DLC Morrowind had better quest writing than the original

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Worgen said:
Shadowrun: DragonFall/Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Holy crap those are both such great games.
I totally forgot about the Shadowrun games! I guess that has to go on my spot as well by default now.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
I'm going to go hilariously old-school here. And I'm not even sure if it really technically counts, if I'm honest...

The game that put the first-person shooter on the map. The legend that sent you against the demonic hordes of Hell itself. DooM.

And no, I'm not talking about last year's DooM. I mean the original classics from the 90s, which I hadn't actually played myself until right around Thanksgiving this year.

The reason I'm not sure if it fully counts, though, is because I had been screwing around with FreeDOOM since some time last year, running the FreeDOOM IWADs in Zandronum. Of course, FreeDOOM isn't the same as the actual id Software game, but it's mostly the same gameplay. So if this doesn't actually count because of that, let me know.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Probably Owlboy in my case.

Since i cant say Earth Defence Force 4.1 since i played that the day it came to Steam. And am still playing it a year and a half later.

...EDF!! EDF!!

Potjeslatinist

Feb 3, 2016
Squilookle said:
Either Black, or PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
PUBG (which is still in early access) came out this year if I'm not mistaken?
Otherwise it would be my pick. Great fun.

I think I've probably spent more on games this year than any other year, while at the same time having purchased less games in the same year they came out than ever before. The only other one apart from Plunkbat is Cuphead.

So I've played lots of contenders for GOTYTDCOTY, and it's hard to choose. But you know, I'm gonna go for Sunless Sea. It kicks my ass so hard but I can't put it down. One of the most atmospheric and well written games ever.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I played the original Deus Ex this year and adored it. The political commentary has only gotten more relevant since it came out, the levels are very well balanced for whatever you've been putting your exp points into, and the music is kickass throughout.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Of the pre-2017 games I?ve played this year, I?ve spent the most time by a decent margin with Dark Souls 2: SotFS edition; however it wasn?t quite my favorite. I?ve also played through for the first time:

Life is Strange
Tomb Raider reboot
Max Payne 3
Killzone Shadow Fall
Until Dawn

Having said that, my personal GOTYTDCOTY2017 award goes to Bloodborne, even though when haven?t even finished it yet. Now that I finished GR: Wildlands and some other backloggery though I?m getting back into it properly and loving it. Playing through as systematically as always, and just discovered Amygdala last night. Wasn?t even thinking of it at the time but this area must be the traditional FROMSOFT poison level, and it has also been the the most challenging so far.

I love how the combat feels in this game. It doesn?t have the breadth of a Souls title in terms of weapons or ranged tactics, but there is such a nice rhythm to the melee combat that I don?t really miss it. The main noteworthy distinction given the melee focus is that most of the weapons I?ve tried so far feel far more unique than in Souls, where you have dozens of similar swords, spears, axes, hammers, etc. I understand the aim of having a ton of variety, but with Bloodborne it feels like more significant variety under more thoughtful restraint.

Jan 27, 2011
The fact that the OP states "You can't have played it before this year" basically puts me in a box.

Just about everything I played this year came out this year, or it was something I played before this year. :s

Honestly, the only game I remember playing for the first time this year that didn't come out this year is "Shadow of Mordor", which...Yeah, it's great, but somehow it feels weird to give an award to, I don't know why. XD

Sep 9, 2007
My first thought was to say Yakuza Zero, but it was only released in the west this year, so that probably doesn't count. So instead, I'm going with Stellaris. Its the kind of game that's very dangerous for me, because if I'm invested, I can lose track of time very quickly and "I'll end my session just as soon as I get this next tech" becomes "Oh shit I need to go to bed because I need to be at work in six hours" all too easily.