Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Comes To Mobile Devices Next Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Comes To Mobile Devices Next Month

The Grove Street Families are going mobile.

It's really quite remarkable that a game that seemed so big and demanding in the era of the PS2 can now be played on a flat little piece of plastic you can carry around in your pocket, but that, as they say, is progress, and so it is that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is coming to mobile devices in December.

And not just as it was, either: Rockstar says the mobile version of GTA: San Andreas will feature remastered graphics with detailed, dynamic shadows, greater draw distances, an improved color palette and upgraded car and character models. It will also, as befits a mobile game, sport a new touch-control scheme with three optional control setups for driving, and offer a "reworked checkpoint system for easier progression." For those who have them, it will also support external controllers, including the iOS7 "Made For iOS" controller capability.

So not only is it mobile, it's also dramatically upgraded as well. Isn't the modern era a wonderful thing? Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will launch for "select iOS, Android, Amazon Kindle and Windows Mobile devices" in December.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Man, I tried to play the Android version of Vice City and that shit does not go well with touch screens. It would be nice if R* at least ported it to consoles or PC.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Well that's some great news :D - SA is my favorite in the series, was hoping to get it for my iPad someday.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I had to use a Bluetooth keyboard to play GTA 3 on my old phone. I may have to do the same again.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
FFP2 said:
Man, I tried to play the Android version of Vice City and that shit does not go well with touch screens. It would be nice if R* at least ported it to consoles or PC.

... they did port it to PC. Infact, I play it on PC regularly *jeolously clutches box*

Having said that, I don't see this working overly well with a touch-screen. Now, if they ported it to Vita (or did a San Andreas Stories, for Vita) I'd be interested.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
nickpy said:
... they did port it to PC. Infact, I play it on PC regularly *jeolously clutches box*

Having said that, I don't see this working overly well with a touch-screen. Now, if they ported it to Vita (or did a San Andreas Stories, for Vita) I'd be interested.
I meant with all the enhancements.

And I doubt that they'd ever do something with the Vita. The userbase is way too small for R*.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'd be all over this if I hadn't already beat the game on pc. I'm much more interested in replaying the game with the absurd mods the PC version has. But since it's Android people could start making mods for it, so I might pick this up later.

With ports like this, someone needs to step and make another Android phone for gaming (*wink wink Sony*). Or see a company other than Archos make a legit gaming tablet. Or at least an Android gamepad that's more portable than a 360 controller with a mount

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
FFP2 said:
nickpy said:

I meant with all the enhancements.

And I doubt that they'd ever do something with the Vita. The userbase is way too small for R*.
Fair enough.

And, yes, you're probably right, that doesn't mean I can't hope.
In any case, they ported the previous two Stories games to PSP, which was also supposedly not worth developing for.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Meanwhile 'droid already has unofficial port of san andreas for half a year at least.

FFP2 said:
Erm, what? Vice city was on PC.

TizzytheTormentor said:
Upgraded color palette is good, San Andreas was intensely orange for some reason.
Orange? I have been playing the game with almost 2000 hours under my belt and never noticed. hm....

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
I had to use a Bluetooth keyboard to play GTA 3 on my old phone. I may have to do the same again.
That's quite hilarious. How about outputting the video to a bigger screen too? Yay portability!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Teoes said:
Evil Smurf said:
That's quite hilarious. How about outputting the video to a bigger screen too? Yay portability!
Not with the galaxy mini 2 or now a iPhone 5 #humblebrag :D besides, is I wanted to play GTA on a bigger screen, I'd play it on my computer.