Grand Theft Auto V Breaks $1 Billion In Three Days

Apr 5, 2008
Bloody hell, is all I can say to that. The next-gen re-release and PC version will add to that, and there's still plenty of strong sales ahead on current gen.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that was unexpected. I mean there's not a lot to say Rockstar has certainly made an impact fast.

Just a shame that GTA 6 will need a similar delay to make that money, especially since there won't be a market that large until 4-6 years from now on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Jun 16, 2010

fix-the-spade said:
I don't think Hollywood's triple A crew will ever want to front a video game, compared to a movie there's no money in it. Movie actors get a percentage or huge up front fees, game voice actors get a set fee and kicked out the door (which is why Nolan North is always busy).
It's the same with animated films, but that sure doesn't stop A-lister from flocking to it. If anything, actors prefer voice roles because it's so much easier. And it's cheaper, so your average animation usually has like 12+ notable movie stars for the price of one.

The only reason games aren't like that is no doubt because high-profile LA agents are snooty, and feel like video games are beneath them and their clients.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Thats impossible, we all know that you cant make money unless you with hold DLC at launch, have micro transactions an offer season passes. They must be lying to us.

May 29, 2011
Anachronism said:
Andy Chalk said:
Bear in mind that GTA V isn't just the king of the videogame castle, but is lord and master of all it surveys. It took the previous videogame record holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Filmonic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120936-Black-Ops-II-Reaches-1-Billion-Milestone-Faster-Than-MW3] - more than six times longer.
I do think the actual number of copies sold is important to consider when we're comparing games to films. I'm not so sure about the States, but here in the UK a new console game will set you back about £40 whereas a film ticket is more like £10. Even with the boost from 3D tickets, a film needs to sell a lot more tickets to break a billion than a game needs to sell discs.

Still, damned impressive, there's no denying it. Even if its budget was upwards of $200 million, I'm sure all concerned can agree it was a good investment.
40:10=4

19:3 = 6.333...

According to basic math, GTA won!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well thats mighty sucesful of you there. looksl ike rockstar is back on the map and laying it large after its failed gta 4 attempt. I guess i know who will win most popular gaming company title this year.......

Its good though. i always liked rockstar even though it made couple blunders (cought, bully, cough) and some incredible decisions (no RDR on PC). as long as they do a better work with a PC port than gta 4 they have my money.