Graphic Novels

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
In the past few years I have discovered graphic novels. I have torn through The Watchmen, and V for Vendetta, as well as The Dark Night Returns and all of the Sandman books. I am looking for more. I want something with that kind of story that I can get into immediately. Is there a Superman or Captain America, or ANY kind of other graphic novel at all I can read that has that kind of great story line in a collected book? I don't care if it is a hero or story line that I've never heard of, I just want something that I can read and really sink my teeth into. Thanks

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jedisolo75 said:
In the past few years I have discovered graphic novels. I have torn through The Watchmen, and V for Vendetta, as well as The Dark Night Returns and all of the Sandman books. I am looking for more. I want something with that kind of story that I can get into immediately. Is there a Superman or Captain America, or ANY kind of other graphic novel at all I can read that has that kind of great story line in a collected book? I don't care if it is a hero or story line that I've never heard of, I just want something that I can read and really sink my teeth into. Thanks
I don't know much about super heros....but anyway heres a bunch of good series that have eather ended or are still going, most of these are in collected volumes (so theres a n umber of them rather than a standalone like Watchmen)

Saga <-reallt REALLY good

Locke and Key- just recently ended, also awsome

Preacher- from the 90's a well loves favorite

Morning Glories- still going

Transmetropolitan - ended

Revival- on its third book I think

Queen and crountry- a little different visually but awsome series

Sex- on its first book

East of West- second book coming out soon I think, art is GORGEOUS

The Boys- not for everyone but if you like (or probably if you DONT like superheroes and don't mind a bit of gore its a good read..just finished

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
If you want superheroes, read Kingdom Come. For my money, arguably the best superhero story ever written. It's very much a Superman story as well, so if you want to see what a writer who actually knows how to make Superman work can do with him, it's one of the finest examples.

Spider-Man: Blue is damn good as well, although less a superhero story and more a love story. Beautiful and very moving.

Age of Bronze is one of my personal favourites, retelling the story of the Trojan War in comics form. Shanower takes a long time to write it - it's been going since 1998 and there have only been thirty-something issues - but it's still fantastic.

Alan Moore's run on the Swamp Thing ought to be required reading for anyone who likes comics, to be honest.

Currently I'm reading the first volume of Rat Queens, a new Image series about an all-female adventuring party in a D&D-esque world. Really strong characters, nice art which never objectifies them, and one of the funniest comics I've read in a long time.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Does it have to be a comic book graphic novel?

Cuz I was gon' say From Hell. If, y'know, you're into things that are bleak.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
If you want to read the most comic book like comic of all time I'd highly recommend:
Next Wave: Agents of H.A.T.E. - It's a completely silly, stylistically bizzare romp in the Marvel universe... and dear god I hope it gets a film or mini-series.

If you want to read something about characters and relationships in the modern world within the context of superheroes you can't do much better than:
Adam Warrens Empowered - Dubbed as a "sexy superhero romp", what started out as a bondage prone super-cheesecake book quickly turns into stories about endearing and lovable characters, their relationships and their personal growth in finding each other. Although I'd tag it NSFW and give you a warning: If you don't like the anime aesthetic you'll struggle with this book.

If you want a modern take on a super team that isn't grim-dark:
Warren Ellis: The Authority - Just getting released in collected hardback form now, The Authority is the sequel to Wildstorms Stormwatch and it's pretty great, interesting characters who may bicker and banter but they know what they are doing is more important than their own petty ego's, it also features fantastic allegories for Supes and Bats.

If you want to read the prototype of RDJ's Tony Stark performance and possibly one of the best standalone stories he's been in:
Ironman: Hypervelocity - Another Adam Warren book (in fact fuck it, anything by this guy is good), it features a snarky, self deprecating and self aware Ironman suit uploaded with Starks personality battling shield and a killer French speaking suicide girl-esque AI. Sounds like another rogue armour story but this one comes with a few nice twists.

Not really a graphic novel, but definitely needs to be released as them; a take on a beloved character with one hell of a dark twist:
Sonic the Comic - Specifically the Richard Elson/Nigel Kitching stories, it's hard to pin point a start for this series that ran original content up too near issue 200, however if you can find a torrent for it as it's been out of print for sometime I highly recommend it; This was a comic where silly and groan worthy puns were combined with dark hellscape visions and a truly nightmarish Super Sonic that meant not everything could be solved by turning Super. If you want to check out a handful of stories I'd suggest starting with the Super Sonic saga, that runs from issue 63 and continues to issue 100.

And speaking of British comics, there is a lot to recommend but if you want some good stuff I recommend all 3 of Dan Abnett (Yes THE Dan Abnett) and Richard Elson's collaboration books for British Anthology Comic 2000AD:
AHAB - A unique retelling of the classic story in an underwater future.
ATAVAR - A surreal, dark and fantastical sci-fantasy about the last man and his near godlike destructive powers.
Kingdom - Genetically engineered dog soldiers (literally) with movie star names roam a ravaged earth that's been taken by giant insects. Dark, brutal and savage, this is a great series to pick up and read.

And if you can find it I also recommend the Warhammer 40K graphic novel:
Redeemer - A story of a street gang that have taken it upon themselves to burn the heretics of the Hive City Necromunda, this is a brilliant story from when Games Workshop revelled in both the silly and the grandiose.

Apr 17, 2009
Someone already suggested Kingdom Come, so I'll add Justice. Written by a different guy but again drawn by Alex Ross and oh my god his work is so beautiful.

Oh, and Gotham Central. You should read that. Its kind of like CSI: Gotham except with really engaging characters and occasionally Batman shows up (and is usually a massive dick, because lets face it he kind of is)

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Here's a graphic novel collection I grew up with: Jeff Smith's Bone series. I have the color-panel volumes from Scholastic Inc. (they really do the world justice), and still enjoy reading them today! The world is really distinct and vibrant, and the characters are well-fleshed out and interesting to watch.

The setting has gorgeous visuals, from rocky peaks to verdant valleys to ash-strewn battlefields. The tiniest details, like the protagonist Fone Bone's copy of Moby Dick, establish the finer points of this world. The design of the characters is also unique: you get an olde cartoonish vibe from the main characters, some of the supporting cast, and even a few of the villains (namely the rat creatures). The main trio are a band of early-cartoon-inspired 'Bones' from Boneville, who've been run out of their town and into the desert. After a sudden storm of locusts, Fone Bone finds himself in the Valley and eventually embroiled in a conflict between humans and a menacing entity with unknown aspirations.

The aesthetic goes a long way to creating expressive characters, but that's not to say it's not all fun-and-games; the series has fairly gripping story, stretching from doomsaying in hushed whispers in the tavern to said doom in a cataclysmic denouement. If you want to read about a diminutive hero who always feels in over his head, dragons with fluffy ears, giant rat creatures, a phony dragonslayer, and great cow races, this is definitely a series to look into.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Pink Gregory said:

how is that not a comicbook graphic novel?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Transmetropolitan can certainly be fun, though preachy at times. I get the impression it tries too hard, even with the early ones.

Hellblazer is pretty great.

Mostly, I'd heavily recommend picking up Jeph Loeb's Batman stories: The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Catwoman: When in Rome. IMO, you can either take or leave Haunted Knight and Hush (which were his as well).

You've read the biggest classics, though, so you've made a great start. If you like Superheroes, then pick up Marvel's Civil War, Superman: Red Son, Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth, and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

If you're interested in picking up storylines that don't fit into single graphic novels, then I can't recommend the Batman arc No Man's Land enough, either.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Vault101 said:
Pink Gregory said:

Is Jack the Ripper a superhero?

Plus I'm not sure if it was ever serialised, but I thought the OP was more into something like a long-running serialised comic strip.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
Vault101 said:
Pink Gregory said:

Is Jack the Ripper a superhero?

Plus I'm not sure if it was ever serialised, but I thought the OP was more into something like a long-running serialised comic strip.
I believe the point vault 101 was making is; Since when did story telling technique (in this case sequential art or "comic book") and a publishing format not make it a part of that definition?

By the logic of assuming only the Comic Book/Graphic Novel format is only applicable to superheroes I then have too ask: What the hell do you call 2000AD?

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Rellik San said:
If you want to read something about characters and relationships in the modern world within the context of superheroes you can't do much better than:
Adam Warrens Empowered - Dubbed as a "sexy superhero romp", what started out as a bondage prone super-cheesecake book quickly turns into stories about endearing and lovable characters, their relationships and their personal growth in finding each other. Although I'd tag it NSFW and give you a warning: If you don't like the anime aesthetic you'll struggle with this book.
I'll second this suggestion. The evolution of the various characters has been a really interesting evolution to follow and the details put into secondary and tertiary characters is something that few series that I've encountered bother with to the extent that Empowered does.

Hack/Slash: An interesting series about a pair of vigilantes who hunt down slashers (i.e. Freddy Krueger/Jason Vorhees types). I find the premise and characters interesting. I am not super optimistic about the theatrical adaptation that currently seems to be stuck in development hell.

Echo: A somewhat oddball graphic novel. Very (soft) science heavy with a lot of interesting theories. IMO has very well written female characters.

Dead@17: A bit heavy on the religious stuff but overall a well written series about a girl who's killed and comes back to life to help people (see where the religious stuff might come into play?). Still worth checking out.

Supergod: This book has a simple premise. What would the world be like if instead of a nuclear arms race the various nations of Earth had instead been in an arms race to create the biggest, most badass super-beings to act as their deterrents. The writing is not the best ever but the book has a lot of cool ideas.

Legends: The Enchanted: To me this book is, sadly, exhibit 1A for why it often doesn't work out when something is written and illustrated by the same person because IMO what seems to happen a lot with that is an artist designed some really cool characters and then struggles to put them into a compelling story. Now that said this book is still IMO worth checking out as despite its weak writing it is by far the most beautifully illustrated graphic novel that I have encountered. The level of detail imparted into every panel of every page is stunning.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
I'd really recommend Planetary by Warren Ellis. If you have the cash, buy the omnibus thats out now, you won't be disappointed.

+1 for Gotham Central

Try Grant Morrisons 'Happy' for a one off book

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'll add another +1 for Gotham Central and Superman: Red Son. For the latter, I'm not much of a Superman fan myself but the cover caught me as it passed by me at work (which happens to be a library) and it's definitely worth a read. I'm assuming here that if you've read The Dark Knight Returns you've also read Batman: Year One. If you haven't, read that too.

For a different side of things, my two favorite graphic novels have been Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka and Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (yes, that Bechdel, the one who created the infamous Bechdel test everyone cites once a year).

Batwoman: Elegy is the start of the Batwoman before the New 52 started. A great and rather powerful origin story that, at the time it was written, was very current. Of all of the "superhero" origin stories I've come across, this one is the most personal and real. The following comics, without Rucka writing but instead with the absolutely brilliant artist he paired up with, follows the same trend although not with the same punch. It got better, actually rather brilliant, near the end of J. H. Williams III's run and there we got cut short the short-straw.

Fun Home is not a "true" graphic novel as it's actually a memoir told in comic strip format. Still, I consider it a graphic "whatever" because of the style. Like Batwoman, it deals with the issues of coming out, except this comes from the actual person writing about herself and, in the end, it's more a story about family, dealing with one's own past, and death more than anything else. It contains more literary references than many would be able to point out but still worth a read. It is always on my recommendations list, either for people who read conventional books or those who love comics. It's brilliant.

Other stories:

Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis is a decent read I come back to frequently. A rather short, self-contained story with amazing artwork as well.

Marvel's Civil War: A bit iffy for me but the idea it brought up, the registration of Marvel's superheroes in their universe, does make you think a bit more about the morals of having superheroes. By the end of the entire series I still couldn't name a side I wanted to be on.

The Ultimates by Mark Millar: If you liked the Avengers movie, this would be the book to read.

Daredevil, Vol 3 (I think) by Kevin Smith then Brian Michael Bendis: Starts off a bit weak but some of the later arcs are really very good. Been a while since I've read them so I'm going mostly off of memory. If you can find them, give them a go.

Some also mentioned Age of Bronze, which is another good read.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
'Transmetropolitan' and 'Preacher' are definites

i'd also say the 'Grimm Fairy Tales' and 'Alice and Wonderland' from Zenimax, those are trippy-awesome in a similar vein as the first two, especially given they're rewriting classic fairy tales... and closer to the original then you probably want to know XD

also '100 Bullets' sho' :3

'WANTED' is so fucking bitchin'... fuck the movie of it by the way, has NOTHING to do with the comic -.-

'Neverwhere'

'Punk Rock Jesus'

'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac'

'Nightmares & Fairytales'

lots of fun stuff~ :3

Jan 12, 2012
I recommend the Great Superman Trilogy:
1) All Star Superman. What Superman is like at his best. Also has some of my favourite lines of all time, courtesy of Lex Luthor

2) Superman: Red Son. What Superman is like at his worst. redknightalex already mentioned it, but it cannot be stressed enough how cool this book is.

3) Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, And The American Way: Why Superman is at his best and not his worst. A lot of fun, and it's great if you want to understand who Superman is as a character.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If you liked The Dark Knight Returns you'll love The Long Halloween. It's very good. Although for some reason it rips a lot from The Godfather.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice and The American Way just seems to set Millar-Authority as strawmen, which just reeks of personal. Granted, Millar's run is very different from Ellis' 12 issues but still...