Graphics Card Drivers To Blame For Rage's PC "Issues"

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Laxman9292 said:
bjj hero said:
I'm still shocked that people buy games from Bethesda at release. They never work as intended. Wait for the GOTY edition, some of the bugs will be worked out by then.

At least its not as bad as the newvegas saving issue.
From Id, published by Bethesda. DEVELOPED by Id. The more you know.
Ive not been following rage as Im bored of the whole post apocalypse thing. Way over done. I was still not surprised to hear of a barely playable game being linked to Beth though.

PeterTheEater

May 7, 2008
I'm just wondering:
Why are the game developers purposely trying to kill PC gaming?
The RAGE engine determines what settings it will use?!
Newsflash id: MY PC IS NOT A CONSOLE!!!
I have a PC with 570GTX SLI setup,i7 CPU & 16GB RAM (!!!), and I have to play this with these shamefully low textures.
I won't even begin to mention "driver not yet ready for the game" issue...
I am SO worried about Skyrim being in similar state when it's released :(

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
"Our engine is so goddamn awesome we got this game running on a goddamn iphone. What's that? PC's with high end graphics cards? No sorry, that's out of the question."

Goddamnit ID. I thought you still gave a flying fuck about pc gaming. If your game relies on drivers that aren't actually out yet, you fucked up your game. Don't try to shift the blame.
Looks like another release I won't pick up until it has migrated to the bargain bin, if I get it at all.
Oh, and that graphics options screen? Yeah, that was utterly pathetic.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Laxman9292 said:
Quellist said:
I seem to remember Morrowind for the Xbox had a whole catalog of bugs in it. Was pretty amusing reading lists of workarounds on a console game.

Guess Bethesda is the pioneer of buggy shit
I seem to remember Bethesda is only the publisher, aka publicity, financing, and not making the game. The more you know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher
Ah well, point taken but hey, my comment about Morrowind stands :)

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
If your game won't run on the current, non-Beta drivers out when the game goes gold, it can't be considered a finished, running game. Want your game to run for the buyers? Stop programming for some mythical, soon-to-come driver. Idiots.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
This explains why pirating of this game has gone through the roof. It's their fault for releasing a shit ass port, and then blaming US for it being so shit. I won't be going anywhere near this game until it's properly ported. Not copy pasted.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Bethesda, would you say you don't enjoy being "forced" into graphics card issues?

: D

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
PeterTheEater said:
I'm just wondering:
Why are the game developers purposely trying to kill PC gaming?
The RAGE engine determines what settings it will use?!
Newsflash id: MY PC IS NOT A CONSOLE!!!
I have a PC with 570GTX SLI setup,i7 CPU & 16GB RAM (!!!), and I have to play this with these shamefully low textures.
I won't even begin to mention "driver not yet ready for the game" issue...
I am SO worried about Skyrim being in similar state when it's released :(
I agree with this post. Though my system is not nearly as beefy, sitting with a last gen i7 core, an ATI Radeon 5850, and 6 GB of RAM, it's still frankly insulting that Rage looks much, much worse than even an old Unreal Engine game like Batman: Arkham Asylum on my laptop. Oh, sure, textures look great when you're outside and viewing them from a distance. But up close or in dark places they're ugly, artifact-ridden blurry blobs. Mass Effect looks better. The first Crysis looks better. Hell, even World of Warcraft looks better, and that is designed to still be playable on single-core processors under 2.0 GHz and seven-year old graphics cards. I appreciate what you're trying to do with this whole "megatexture" thing, iD, but your Auto-Balance engine thing just doesn't work as well as you hoped it would.

Oh, and I think the only thing most PC gamers find more infuriating than not being allowed to customize controls (which you also can't do, by the way, outside of manually editing the config files. The game doesn't even have a control screen for Keyboard+mouse that I could find) short of not being allowed to mod, is not being allowed to tweak the graphical settings.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Versuvius said:
Honestly? I call bollocks. Who the fuck releases a game when the drivers dont exist to run it? Why can't players adjust the resolution? In fact, why can't players tinker with any aspect of the graphics? Please, iD, just throw your hands up and accept the fucking flakk that you messed up and fix this shit.
I agree, no graphics options or all rebindable keys means a slap on each developer.

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
look, fixing the problem isn't the important part. the important part is that we know who is to blame for the problem.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Versuvius said:
Honestly? I call bollocks. Who the fuck releases a game when the drivers dont exist to run it? Why can't players adjust the resolution? In fact, why can't players tinker with any aspect of the graphics? Please, iD, just throw your hands up and accept the fucking flakk that you messed up and fix this shit.
That's software engineering in a nutshell. They're constantly releasing stuff that uses inferior systems, or systems that don't actually exist.

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
*perks up*

..isn't this also the game that would remove a some part of the content if you bought it used somehow?

classy Id. classy. Trollface.jpg
this is so sweet it has to be fattening!

Why would they do such a thing- not that i mind, but seriously?

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
No, I'm not going to blame the drivers, I'm going to blame Id for making a shitty port.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
This is basically the equivalent of selling a car in the U.S. with the driver's controls on the wrong side. It's such an obvious and elementary issue that it makes you wonder how the people in that company are capable of wiping their own asses without reading a manual.

PeterTheEater

May 7, 2008
There's a workaround:
(shamefully simple thing to do- yes "id" I'm talking to you)

Check out this link:

http://uk.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

If you don't want to read through all that, here's an short version:
Open notepad, paste following content:

vt_useCudaTranscode 1
vt_cudaBudget 17
vt_maxPPF 128
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

save the notepad document as:

rageconfig.cfg

and copy it to the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base directory

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Callate said:
Seriously? "If you have one of the two most common brands of video cards, your best hope is to try a beta driver"?

How does a game get released in that state?

...Oh, don't get me wrong, I know some of the more obvious answers. I'm just... Appalled.

It's the sort of thing that makes me paranoid about companies like EA and Sony trying to limit users' legal recourse when the companies manifestly fail to do their jobs... I'm certainly not of a "sue 'em all and let God sort 'em out" mindset, but seriously, who keeps these guys honest?
Ugh...

nVidia and AMD's OpenGL support is garbage. Especially AMD's. New drivers are out, and the game runs perfectly fine for almost everyone. How'bout that?

The only thing they really fucked up was the lack of graphics options. They fixed that to an extent with a patch as well. Regardless of that, any PC gamer (especially an id fan) worth his salt tweaks graphics settings through config files anyways.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Zer_ said:
Yeah, don't you just hate it when people respond based on the way things were two days ago? It's like they weren't precognitive and expected games to run properly on the same day they were released.

nVidia and AMD's OpenGL support is garbage. Especially AMD's. New drivers are out, and the game runs perfectly fine for almost everyone. How'bout that?
And yet id had every reason to know what kind of support, OpenGL or otherwise, was on users computers, and failed to take that into account. Hell, Valve makes it rather transparent what kind of hardware users are using on pages like this:

[link]http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc[/link]

Yet id chose to release the game based on test systems whose specs existed largely only within id's campus.

As for "the game runs perfectly fine for almost everyone", that notion raises the question of why there are posts today on Steam forums saying things like

I've done everything to try and fix the ugly texture stutter/flickering whatever you want to call it...big black squares all over the terrain, etc.

Am I the only one who still has this problem, even after trying almost everything to fix the game?
and

My 4870 still can't play the game normally.. crashes.. black squares.. low framerate.. always happens one of those things or all of them together :S
and

There is still a good number of people who only get it to run with several tweaks and some who have constant crashing, textures failing to load etc

The only thing they really fucked up was the lack of graphics options. They fixed that to an extent with a patch as well. Regardless of that, any PC gamer (especially an id fan) worth his salt tweaks graphics settings through config files anyways.
...Seriously?

I mean, yeah, I monkey with Unreal Tournament to get it to take full advantage of my laptop's rather unusual resolution, but I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that any AAA-game come with the expectation that the typical user should have to delve into things on the text-file or the command-line level just to get things running as well as they would automatically on a console.

It's a game. A console port. It's not supposed to be some kind of bizarre trial-of-manhood where only those with sufficient fortitude will be able to get it to run and prove themselves worthy to behold the game Ars Technica described as "committing the sin of blandness."

Congratulations to id for still having enough clout to bully AMD and Nvidia into motion to address their mis-steps, and a hearty golf-clap for working quickly on a patch, but I'm not going to pretend for a single moment that what has occurred between id and their PC customers should be taken as "par for the course".