Grasshopper Unveils Diesel-Punk Shooter

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Grasshopper Unveils Diesel-Punk Shooter

Grasshopper Manufacture is joining forces with Digital Reality to work on a new shoot-em-up game that looks like it's straight out of the Crimson Skies universe.

Side-scrolling shoot-em-up games can be a blast when done right. Grasshopper Manufacture, the studio behind cult favorites like No More Heroes and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Damned-Xbox-360/dp/B00432O4VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312569867&sr=8-1>Shadows of the Damned has revealed that it's working on just such a project with <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Reality>Digital Reality.

Dubbed Sine Mora, the game's trailer is equal parts nonsensical narration (which, let's be honest, is kinda par for the course with Grasshopper) and lovely footage, though it's not clear if the footage is from cutscenes or actual gameplay. That said, based on the aircraft and level designs, the game looks like it's taking a lot of visual cues <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies:_High_Road_to_Revenge>Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.

This is the first time Grasshopper has worked with Digital Reality. The game is apparently going to feature standard gameplay for the genre, but will also include "time manipulation mechanics." Oh, and it'll also be 3D compatible.

Sine Mora will be released on PCs, Xbox Live, and the PlayStation Network.

Source: <a href=http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/9583.html>PSXExtreme

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Graphics looked like World of Warcraft. Not impressed. And I didn't get the theme..Was it post-apocalypse? What are we doing? Who are we fighting?
I'll hold my excitement till later.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
What do you mean upcoming? Shadows of the Damned was released like 2 months ago. Anyway:

NEW GRASSHOPPER GAME. EXCELLENT NEWS.
Yeah, no idea why I wrote that. Seeing as how I own a copy of the damn game...

AM City Watch

Nov 10, 2010
My Latin needs work, but doesn't "sine mora" mean something like "without death?"

Regardless, it looks interesting. Might be a title worth watching.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Wow, It looks very good and I really do miss them side scrolling shoot em ups.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
I'm surprised no one's mentioned lollipop chainsaw (new grasshopper- suda 51 game with a zombie slaying cheerleader) in the escapist Or did I miss it?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Between this and Lollipop Chainsaw they're really making Suda 51 work.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
What the hell is "diesel-punk" besides another "-punk" sub-sub-sub-sub-genre name that nobody cares about?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Despite only being a teaser trailer it was interesting enough for me wanting to see more of it. Maybe the next trailer they will bring out the weird side to it that Grasshopper Manufacture is well known for.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Man, I knew he was eventually going to make a scrolling shooter game eventually. First NMH's, then SotD, and now this. That crazy bastard Suda.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
It looks interesting, I am hoping that time manipulation is more than just rewind\slow\stop\etc.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
the antithesis said:
What the hell is "diesel-punk" besides another "-punk" sub-sub-sub-sub-genre name that nobody cares about?
Futuristic designs using 1920's-1940's technology. That means stuff like extravagant planes, as you can see, a more prevelant use of elektricity, the use of gasoline and diesel (obviously). Basically WW2 on steroids.

All the "punk" genres do make sense, and a lot of them also have a different atmosphere and philsophy besides the different eras of tech, sometimes also mirroring and extrapolating upon the zeitgeist of the time.

For instance, steampunk is set in a wondrous time in which man feels like he can do anything if he sets his will to it. It's a setting of exploration, invention, where modern science really takes flight taking man further and further. Dieselpunk on the other hand is usually a lot darker, it's technological marvels fueled by the need for war and destruction. And you can describe clockpunk, atompunk and cyberpunk the same way.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
And you can describe clockpunk, atompunk and cyberpunk the same way.
A fine post, which I mostly agree with, except for one detail: Wouldn't the definition of cyberpunk veer more towards computer-, social- and information sciences? Less spectacle and more commentary, if you will?

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Mere words alone cannot describe how great it feels to see a game with some green grass, blue skies and fresh, lively color again. That settles it - it's time to register my new credit card on PSN and hope for the best!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
COLOR! Actual color! No washed out brown/grey/green gritty run-down environments with heavy shadow! And some style, woo!

It's sad people think that constant realistic looking titles with the same settings and color schemes are more appealing and consider anything with decent stylization and use of more than 5 earth tones to be WoW kiddy stuff.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
AM City Watch said:
My Latin needs work, but doesn't "sine mora" mean something like "without death?"
I haven't studied Latin for three years, but I think "without death" would be "sine morte". "Sine Mora" I'd translate with "Without Delay" which, admittedly, sounds less awesome.