Grasshopper Unveils Diesel-Punk Shooter

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Aisaku said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned lollipop chainsaw (new grasshopper- suda 51 game with a zombie slaying cheerleader) in the escapist Or did I miss it?
You missed it. There was an article on it already. :p

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Looks more Porca Rosso than Crimson Skies to me, but then I never played High Road to Revenge, just the original Crimson Skies.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
hmm current gen "Empire of steel"? could be interesting not much one for side scrolling shooters though.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
therandombear said:
Doesn't look weird enough for being Grashopper Manufacture :p
Well then wait for them to announce Lolipop Chainsaw (?) to be announced in the states if it is going to be here. As for me,this looks interesting and the first time I've seen time manipulation in a game like this.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Alphakirby said:
therandombear said:
Doesn't look weird enough for being Grashopper Manufacture :p
Well then wait for them to announce Lolipop Chainsaw (?) to be announced in the states if it is going to be here. As for me,this looks interesting and the first time I've seen time manipulation in a game like this.
I do hope they release the Lolipop Chainsaw game here in Europe...looks like No More Heroes had a baby with Chainsaw Massacre :p

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
the antithesis said:
What the hell is "diesel-punk" besides another "-punk" sub-sub-sub-sub-genre name that nobody cares about?
Sorta like the 400 types of metal that no-one besides fans care about?

Dunno why we need to create a new genre every time something slightly different comes out, what's wrong with just describing what it is? (as someone else described) 1940's tech in the future.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
MatsVS said:
Cowabungaa said:
And you can describe clockpunk, atompunk and cyberpunk the same way.
A fine post, which I mostly agree with, except for one detail: Wouldn't the definition of cyberpunk veer more towards computer-, social- and information sciences? Less spectacle and more commentary, if you will?
What I meant with that is that every "punk" genre has both a tech side and a distinct 'vibe'. Cyberpunk's vibe is indeed just that, and it's tech lies indeed in computerisation and all that.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Braedan said:
the antithesis said:
What the hell is "diesel-punk" besides another "-punk" sub-sub-sub-sub-genre name that nobody cares about?
Sorta like the 400 types of metal that no-one besides fans care about?

Dunno why we need to create a new genre every time something slightly different comes out, what's wrong with just describing what it is? (as someone else described) 1940's tech in the future.
it's not made up. the small family of -punk genres are well set and around for a decent long time in fiction,tabletop and p&p-rpg.
Just because diesel is a more obscure to mainstream, like steampunk was until recently and so you may not have heard about it, it doesnt mean it is made up new. There have been dieselpunked (graphic) novels and games since the 1960's

The list is rather limited though, even if it would be possible to "invent" new -punks easily. Just take one kind of technology and ask yourself the good ol "what if " question, what if most of innovation and society was based solely on a sophisticated version of this single tech.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
cthulhumythos said:
octafish said:
Looks more Porca Rosso than Crimson Skies to me, but then I never played High Road to Revenge, just the original Crimson Skies.

educate yourself.
Looks just like the original, with admittedly better looking cutscenes. But then there is three years between the two. I have heard that the xbox game is less linear but with less customisation than the original, also unlimited ammo for cannons, missile ammo drops, and a special bar for aerobatics?(you can do barrel rolls and immelmans in Crimson Skies if you have the right airframe). Of course I have also heard the biggest differences are in the attitude, Crimson Skies is light, camp and pulpy like a thirties serial, High Road to Revenge is apparently darker and grittier, *sigh*.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Avayu said:
AM City Watch said:
My Latin needs work, but doesn't "sine mora" mean something like "without death?"
I haven't studied Latin for three years, but I think "without death" would be "sine morte". "Sine Mora" I'd translate with "Without Delay" which, admittedly, sounds less awesome.
you do know, if this game doesnt come out exactly on time, its gonna cause some good jokes