Gravity Rush Review

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Gravity Rush Review

Gravity Rush doesn't quite turn handheld gaming on its head, but it's a noble effort.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I played the demo and loved it, but several of the reviews on Amazon say the game isn't much longer than 5-10 hours. Is this true?

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz, yes Gravity Rush is around 10h, plus has some sidequests since you can run around the city(or port, use communication)

And yeah, inb4 flame.

This game dosn't deserve a 7/10. I had no whatsoever problems with the controls after a bit playing, most people didn't. But you can't expect much from escapist when it comes to reviews, it's the portal which wrote that Haunted the Demon's Forge has "gorgeously rendered levels" and that Dragon Age 2 plays better than 1 and has "absolutely gorgeous" graphics. :)

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I played the demo and loved it, but several of the reviews on Amazon say the game isn't much longer than 5-10 hours. Is this true?
I've spent 16 hours on it, roughly 12-13 being story missions. Exploration, DLC-missions and challenge missions are there as well, so it's not really a shortage on content. (I'm still missing two of the DLC packs which will give even more playtime for when I'm on the train/bus)

-----

On topic of the review, I can't help but feel that it was really negative all around. Kat starts with a 3-hit melee combo, sure, but it evolves as you level it up. There's also sliding attacks, the jump kick (normal jump + attack), the drop-kick lookin' attack (normal jump + spin movement stick half circle + attack) and the dodging-counter attack move as well, which leaves plenty of room for fancy combos.

Still, the thing that I can't help wondering about is the "You fly from one checkpoint to the next, read some dialogue, fight some enemies, rinse and repeat."-part in the review... were we playing the same game? Because I remember boss encounters, stealth sections, rescuing people by carrying them to safety, putting out fires (a DLC mission, but still), and helping out in general with tasks like finding people or helping them with their jobs.

I will agree on the motion controls being a bit difficult to handle until you get used to it (the options have a setting for adjusting sensitivity of motion control) and the camera messing about a couple of times though...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Having seen some gameplay footage, it does kind of make me wish I had a Vita.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Theotherguy said:
But you can't expect much from escapist when it comes to reviews, it's the portal which wrote that Haunted the Demon's Forge has "gorgeously rendered levels" and that Dragon Age 2 plays better than 1 and has "absolutely gorgeous" graphics. :)
Both of those reviews were written by Greg Tito. Sounds like your problem is with him, not with all of The Escapist.

To account for personal taste, I never read only one review of something I'm on the fence about. I consistently go to the Escapist crew though, since they tend to at least be thorough in discussing what might be down to personal preference, compared with "this is objectively bad".

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
UNHchabo said:
Theotherguy said:
But you can't expect much from escapist when it comes to reviews, it's the portal which wrote that Haunted the Demon's Forge has "gorgeously rendered levels" and that Dragon Age 2 plays better than 1 and has "absolutely gorgeous" graphics. :)
Both of those reviews were written by Greg Tito. Sounds like your problem is with him, not with all of The Escapist.

To account for personal taste, I never read only one review of something I'm on the fence about. I consistently go to the Escapist crew though, since they tend to at least be thorough in discussing what might be down to personal preference, compared with "this is objectively bad".
I might have generalised a bit too much indeed.

But I won't change my mind when it comes to GR getting 7. That's just not fair.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
UNHchabo said:
Theotherguy said:

Sorry you didn't like my reviews, man. But UNHchabo is right, there are more viewpoints on the site than just me.

Greg

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I had so much fun with this game. There were times here and there where an aerial combat section would get on my nerves because an enemy would keep dodging my kicks, but immediately after it was defeated I'd say "I'll quickly grab that gem and then start the next mission" and before I knew it I'd have spent an hour just falling through the air collecting things. It gets so addictive because moving through the city is incredible. Once you've upgraded your powers to the point where the whole city is within reach at once, it just gets even better.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
I'm still not going to get it even if I have a Vita right now and no games on it save old PSP games I played years ago. I played the demo and it felt like a budget title the whole way through. For one I started by looking around and saw the game looked like a PS2 game to a very low quality PS3 game. Then I ran around and saw they couldn't even be bothered to try putting the most basic canned animation for a splash if you jump in water. Then I actually started playing the game.

The controls felt a little off to me with delays and the camera always being 1 step behind. The gameplay was probably the most basic I've played in a very long while with the combat practically feeling tacked on. Then the boss came and I managed to beat it by spamming the same flying kick attack over and over then the screen prompted me to touch the glowing spot on the enemy and it entered into a incredibly boring finisher cutscene that for the life of me I don't get. Then it was over.

Really? That was what they people kept calling the Vita's killer title? I tried that demo several times to see if I was missing something and for the life of me I don't get it one bit. I guess it's going to be a few more months until my Vita gets an original game of it's own to play. Personally now XSEED is localizing Ragnarok Odyssey to come out later and since I played a lot of Ragnarok Online years ago I'll be giving that a look.

Also if any of those problems/minor annoyances from the demo have been fixed then let me know and I'll gladly take it back.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Mistermixmaster said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I've spent 16 hours on it, roughly 12-13 being story missions. Exploration, DLC-missions and challenge missions are there as well, so it's not really a shortage on content. (I'm still missing two of the DLC packs which will give even more playtime for when I'm on the train/bus
Yes, I'd say around 15 hours of gameplay. But I'd like to add that those 15 hours are all fun, as opposed to sandbox games like GTA or Oblivion where at least 50% of gameplay is padded out with monotonous running around in nothingness. It's solid from start to finish.

On topic of the review, I can't help but feel that it was really negative all around. Kat starts with a 3-hit melee combo, sure, but it evolves as you level it up. There's also sliding attacks, the jump kick (normal jump + attack), the drop-kick lookin' attack (normal jump + spin movement stick half circle + attack) and the dodging-counter attack move as well, which leaves plenty of room for fancy combos.

Still, the thing that I can't help wondering about is the "You fly from one checkpoint to the next, read some dialogue, fight some enemies, rinse and repeat."-part in the review... were we playing the same game? Because I remember boss encounters, stealth sections, rescuing people by carrying them to safety, putting out fires (a DLC mission, but still), and helping out in general with tasks like finding people or helping them with their jobs.

I will agree on the motion controls being a bit difficult to handle until you get used to it (the options have a setting for adjusting sensitivity of motion control) and the camera messing about a couple of times though...
I'm with you on all those points. The fighting is much more interesting than, well, pretty much any game I've played this generation. Not to say it's ground breaking, or perfect, because it really isn't. The targeting system is hit and miss, and the camera takes time to adjust to, but can the Escapist please compare it to a game that does combat with any more variety or complexity?

As for jumping from A to B, what differentiates it from other games is that it's worth jumping from A to B. The story and characters are worth interacting with. Further more, at least it'll only take you 30 seconds max to get from A to B, as opposed to other games where you have to trundle to the other side of a boring map to get to. Again, the game is to the point, and never feels padded out, which is what I can't stand about sandbox games or certain RPGs.

80Maxwell08 said:
I'm still not going to get it even if I have a Vita right now and no games on it save old PSP games I played years ago. I played the demo and it felt like a budget title the whole way through. For one I started by looking around and saw the game looked like a PS2 game to a very low quality PS3 game. Then I ran around and saw they couldn't even be bothered to try putting the most basic canned animation for a splash if you jump in water. Then I actually started playing the game.

The controls felt a little off to me with delays and the camera always being 1 step behind. The gameplay was probably the most basic I've played in a very long while with the combat practically feeling tacked on. Then the boss came and I managed to beat it by spamming the same flying kick attack over and over then the screen prompted me to touch the glowing spot on the enemy and it entered into a incredibly boring finisher cutscene that for the life of me I don't get. Then it was over.

Really? That was what they people kept calling the Vita's killer title? I tried that demo several times to see if I was missing something and for the life of me I don't get it one bit. I guess it's going to be a few more months until my Vita gets an original game of it's own to play. Personally now XSEED is localizing Ragnarok Odyssey to come out later and since I played a lot of Ragnarok Online years ago I'll be giving that a look.

Also if any of those problems/minor annoyances from the demo have been fixed then let me know and I'll gladly take it back.
So you're going to write off a game because it doesn't show a little splash when you jump in some water? I also have to genuinely wonder if you're trolling when you compare this to a PS2 title.

Just because the game is cel shaded, with cartoon visuals doesn't mean it's not next gen hardware. It means they've spent more time giving this game style and personality as opposed to trying to fit as much on the screen as possible (it's imitating the classic European comic books that the creators were inspired by). The reason for locations losing detail from afar is to prevent disorientation when flying.

As for the gameplay, no, it doesn't change much more than what you've played in the demo, but rather expands. Everything is essentially fought pretty much in the same way, but you can upgrade your attacks, special moves, evasion, etc.

This, I can understand, will not be in certain people's taste. With me, I liked the battles, and as I played further it felt more natural, but for those with little patience, or unable to grasp anything more than the slower paced, simple fighting in MMOs, I can understand why they'd find it all a bit fiddly.

My conclusion is that Gravity Rush isn't a perfect game, but it does so much right, and its flaws can be overlooked with patience. As for killer app? Yes, I'd say it is, because it naturally uses the Vita's features and later locations really show off the power of the system. It also shows off the creativity Sony has at its Japanese offices at the moment. Compared the myriad number of FPS, RPGs, sandbox games, etc, it's nice to see a game add elements of various genres and put them together in such a focused package.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Terramax said:
I wasn't writing the whole game off I was just looking around to see the visuals. It's absolutely a minor annoyance but it does bother me that they couldn't have spent even a small amount of time on it. Also I'm not trolling I've played better looking Ps2 games for one. The .hack series blows this out of the water. For one nearly every single texture looked completely flat so everything looked like wallpaper. Also for it's personality when I started it up the very first thought that came to mind was that this game looked like X-blades.

Also I didn't say it was fiddly if that was directed towards me I said it felt tacked on. Out of boredom on a later run through the demo I decided to use nothing but the flying kick and actually was doing way better than before. Also Since you have played it I must ask does swiping the screen to dodge ever get annoying? Personally I didn't need it from my spamming the same move so the only time I used it was when I was just trying it out. I have no idea why they couldn't have put that on the L button.

If you like it fine but for me I cannot see anything that makes this game worth getting aside from "it's an actual game made for the Vita". Though the more I use the Vita the more I think Sony really dropped the ball making it. I thought the anti aliasing problems in the games I tried so far were just because of a lack of effort but every single game has them. Even the basic menu has problems with that. Then the analog sticks on them are way worse than they should be. Every shooter I tried so far has the same problems with it making aiming feel really off. The whole thing just feels like a lower quality product than it actually is.

Sorry about that off topic part I just wanted to say that. Like I said if you like it fine but the demo did not impress me at all. I don't think I'll be getting this from my impressions.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Tis pretty awesome, though definitely not perfect. Dig the style and the characters, though it suffers from some typical anime-esque tropes. The gameplay is pretty much as summed up in der review. Some missions definitely shine in comparison to others and whatnot. Blahblahblahblah IF you have a Vita, it's the best original title available so far. Nuff said.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Sorry about that off topic part I just wanted to say that. Like I said if you like it fine but the demo did not impress me at all. I don't think I'll be getting this from my impressions.
No worries man, everyone has different tastes. But your points appear more to do with your personal tastes than anything inherently wrong with either the game or Vita itself. Everyone I've let play this game (along with games like Resistance) have found the game very easy to handle - no problems with the analog sticks, evading by swiping the screen, etc. As for the graphics, the PS2 couldn't handle it. Simple as. And Sony didn't waste time making every model look photo-realistic - this is not a fault, but an artistic decision. Sony didn't 'drop the ball' simply because the game isn't a graphical powerhouse, but focuses more on innovation, originality, and an interesting story.

I mention this because don't want others being turned away from a wonderful game by confusing your preferences to the products ability to show off the Vita. It's an outstanding game that wouldn't play equal on any other system.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Terramax said:
80Maxwell08 said:
No worries man, everyone has different tastes. But your points appear more to do with your personal tastes than anything inherently wrong with either the game or Vita itself. Everyone I've let play this game (along with games like Resistance) have found the game very easy to handle - no problems with the analog sticks, evading by swiping the screen, etc. As for the graphics, the PS2 couldn't handle it. Simple as. And Sony didn't waste time making every model look photo-realistic - this is not a fault, but an artistic decision. Sony didn't 'drop the ball' simply because the game isn't a graphical powerhouse, but focuses more on innovation, originality, and an interesting story.

I mention this because don't want others being turned away from a wonderful game by confusing your preferences to the products ability to show off the Vita. It's an outstanding game that wouldn't play equal on any other system.
Except I didn't say the combat was hard or difficult to use I said it felt tacked on. I asked about the dodging since in only playing the demo I never needed it once from spamming the same one move. Also I mentioned it looking worse than .hack because I seriously think it does. Artistic or not everything looks flat and basically like every other cel shaded game on the market. Do I think the PS2 could handle it? No. Do I think I've played a lot of PS2 games that look way better. Yes.

Though I must ask this now. How good do you think the story is?I don't mind supporting original ideas and I do love good stories. Honestly talking with you is convincing me more and more to go get it later. I'm broke at the moment however and when I get money it is going to The Last Story when that comes out.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
so what kind of gravity are we talking about here? Deadspace gravity screwing about or Inversion pyshics screwing about?

Captcha:the bee's knees....hmmmm, indeed.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
Except I didn't say the combat was hard or difficult to use I said it felt tacked on. I asked about the dodging since in only playing the demo I never needed it once from spamming the same one move. Also I mentioned it looking worse than .hack because I seriously think it does. Artistic or not everything looks flat and basically like every other cel shaded game on the market. Do I think the PS2 could handle it? No. Do I think I've played a lot of PS2 games that look way better. Yes.

Though I must ask this now. How good do you think the story is?I don't mind supporting original ideas and I do love good stories. Honestly talking with you is convincing me more and more to go get it later. I'm broke at the moment however and when I get money it is going to The Last Story when that comes out.
About the dodging, it definitely comes in handy in de later missions when handeling multiple enemies.
The visual style is quite unique and gives the game it's own feel. Maybe it could use a little more colour but overall I think they've done a fine job.
The story keeps the game going at the pace you choose and keeps you interested. The memory loss thing has been done before but it doesn't feel forced.

If you have a Vita you should give it a try.