Great Bassist's.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
As we all know a band can have excellent and very talented guitarists. But to me i've always enjoyed the sound of a bass guitar and believe that it can really make a song and pack an even harder punch to a song than it may already have.

So today Escapists i ask you to provide some example of who you believe are some great bass players and provide some clips of their works.

I'll start us off with Leslie "Les" Claypool of Primus in honor of the celebration of his 49th birthday which is today.

Here is an example of his work.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
Sean Malone of Cynic is pretty swell in my opinion. He had a solo (ish) project called Gordian Knot that showcased his talents pretty well.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
I can list a few, But I'm currently unable to link any videos

-----------------------------------------------------------

Victor Wooten: Perhaps one of the greatest solo bassists ever. The guy is a total Genius
---
Flea - Red Hot Chili Peppers: The dude is just a maniac..A funky, funky maniac....
---
Barry Fratelli - The Fratellis: Nobody really knows who he is, but his bassline on Chelsea Dagger pretty much single handedly inspired me start playing bass

That's all I can think about currently, but I'll be back later with uploads and more ^_^

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Check my avatar lol. As far as Primus fans go, I'm one of the most involved I've ever met.

Other mentions go to Geddy Lee, Billy from FNM, Wooten, Jaco, and the guy who played with Peter Gabriel, the bald guy, can't remember his name.

EDIT: To the guy above me, I had no idea you were going to post genesis haha!

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Mike Watt of the Minutemen/fIREHOSE/Dos/the Stooges/solo stuff. Not super flashy, but inventive, fun, and often the most interesting part of his band (which says a ton when with the Minutemen).

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Geddy Lee of course, but I strongly support the Les Claypool vote. I cannot believe he is almost 50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKBLSkN2sRk

On the Rush topic, I am preemptively voting Neil Peart the greatest drummer ever.

(I tried for too long to embed that, I swear. Including Googling it, the embed options on the youtube page, and other research. I'm not as internet awesome these days as I was back when my speed was measured in baud...)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Check out Mark King. First time I saw this vid I nearly stubbed my toe on my jaw. Dude plays a mean slap bass. :D

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
John Deacon of Queen, he truly was their secret weapon with his smooth bass lines and dancing. Plus he wrote some of the bands most successful songs.

a7xman

Oct 14, 2011
Gotta throw out Duff Mckagan of GNR, as well as Johnny Christ of Avenged Sevenfold, and agree with the above listings, as all are fantastic bassists.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Cliff Burton. Few other bassists can match him. Really surprised it took this long for someone to mention him, actually, considering he played this masterpiece:

EDIT: DAMN NINJAS!!!

Frank Bello kicks ass as well. I mean, just listen to the intro to this gem:

Snydeclyde

Jun 23, 2012
Chris Wolstenholme(Muse)and Tim Commerford (RATM/Audioslave) are my personal favourites
I also like Matt Freeman from Rancid and Alex Katunich (ex Incubus)

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
It may almost sound like free-jazz, but just listening to Jaco Pastorius playing this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQlSSOXU6A] makes my fingers hurt in sympathy.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say Victor Van Wooten and Geddy Lee. Best bassists ever. Especially Geddy, Rush is simply awesome.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzvIUX9Wwxg[/link]

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'm surprised people still think Cliff Burton was some sort of godsend. While he might have been able to evolve into a beast among beasts, Jason Newsted was a better player even back when he joined Metallica.

What I am surprised about, however, is that John Myung has yet to be mentioned. I've seen people shit on Dream Theater for various reasons, some actually valid too, but John's skill is undeniable.