Great Game Combinations

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
In preparation of Persona 5 I recently recompleted Persona 3 FES (and I will later go on to Persona 4).

To give myself a breather between P3 and P4 I've been playing a few small games I've been meaning to get round to, but the first game I played right after P3 was The Walking Dead Season 2 (I don't personally like episodic games and wait till they all come out to play them).

What I found interesting (hence this thread) was how well the P3 ideas worked with TWD2's and how brilliantly they combined together. Not in a shared universe way or anything like that, but how P3's themes flowed into TWD2's themes to tell different tones/viewpoints of the same idea i.e. we are nothing without our friends (or at least that is how I interpret those games).

The point of this thread (took long enough to get here) is has anyone else had similar experiences from going from one game to another and which games?

Just to clarify, it isn't the same thing as shared universe (like going from P3 to P4 or TWD1 to TWD2), but shared (though not necessarily completely) themes.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Definitely. I always like to have one "deep" game running, usually an RPG of somekind, and a more action orientated game running alongside it to break up the pace when needed.

For example, I remember playing Morrowind alongside Mercinaries 2, and both complimented each other greatly.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I remember playing No One Has To Die right after finishing my initial run through of BioShock Infinite. Both games deal with the idea of alternate universes related to time. One is just a story-heavy, unbelievably easy puzzle game while the other is an FPS game that forgot (for better or worse) that FPS games tend to not have very deep stories.

I also played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow around the same time that I played Tales of Vesperia. In terms of the main theme, they are about as different as different gets. Lords of Shadow felt like a delve into the mind of a gamer getting hooked on an action game, and ToV couldn't decide if it wanted to be about friendship or dealing with the consequences of our actions. Regardless, both games had underlying environmental themes that helped set the stage for the rest of the commentary. Actually, in ToV's case, that arguably was the main theme. Yeah, that underlying theme went to different ends, but it was still interesting to see them come up in such different games I happened to be playing at the same time.