Great game music.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I'm a real sucker for these kinds of songs where it starts off simple but adds more and more elements to the music as it goes on until you get a really amazing, heart thumping piece of music.

I'm not sure what genre of music this is though, with the thumps and clicks and synth sounds, any guesses? The entire Ape Escape soundtrack seems to be of the same type.

Slight tangent, but it's interesting how the first and third games both have this style of music in them and are both the superior games in the series while the second game has very generic sounding music that leaves no impression, much like the game itself is far too rounded down compared to the others.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Bulbel from Ender Lilies.

This one also hurts me to listen to because of the nature of the story of Ender Lilies. These lines in particular-

But somehow I thought these crazy thoughts
That I deserve to be loved
I deserve to know love
We deserve to live in love

-hurt given all the sacrifices made by the people of that world.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Devil Survivor has a lot of really good songs.

They really nailed it with this soundtrack. The battle songs give a sense of dread, desperation, and overwhelming odds, which is in line with both how a lot of the boss fights go and the story itself. A lot of the Shin Megami Tensei games tend to have a somewhat nonchalant air to them in regards to the fights and the setting, teens summoning demons and gods, but Devil Survivor does a good job of having characters that act much more like one would expect people to act in this kind of scenario (Mostly scared shitless) and the music reflects that perfectly.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
While this is a remix, the original song is also very good.

The remix that asks you one simple question, "Do you like electric guitars?"

Yes. Yes I do like electric guitars.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
This game has been on my mind recently for some reason I can't quite place...

I can't find the one with the coughing and gentle sobbing in the background, although those might be game sound effects, so these will have to do.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Akuma Battle from Labyrinth of Refrain

Something I doesn't translate well with a lot of game music is that the context for the music can often play a huge part in what makes it sound good, even more so than movies. This song may not sound that unique but it hits harder within context; which is that this song is only used for the hardest optional bosses in the game, so it's special,

Note: This is a game that has shit like this as its bosses by the way.

And the way the game changes perspective for a lot of these bosses also plays into it with it angling down when you're going through menus but then angling up when you hover over the enemy you're attacking. For the bosses that are huge compared to your characters, this goes a long way to making them FEEL big.

And once again, this song is used for the hardest bosses in the game, it starts off with an upbeat sounding part then goes into a piece that evokes loon ng dread and then the real part of the song starts with almost frantic sounding music. So it gets you worked up then tells you stuff is about to get real and then the main part of the song starts and for me when I went against these bosses it was a nail biting situation of looking at my commands, making sure I wasn't screwing something up, looking back up at the boss who's towering over my party and then confirming my choices and praying I didn't mess something up that'll lead to half my party getting nuked, all while this music plays that's keeping my blood pumping.

All of that doesn't really come across just from having someone listen to the song and I think more people would appreciate game music more if people tried to give that context in some way.

Stewcumber

May 4, 2022
Southampton
Country
United Kingdom
My most favouritest gaming soundtrack is Unravel or Unravel 2, I can't decide. If you find yourself with a quiet moment...

Runner up perhaps being FF7 Crisis Core on PSP.
Runner runner up perhaps being Anno 1800.

Reactions: Absent and Chimpzy

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Deaths Door, not only is the game charming as hell, but the music is fantastic and I would put it on the level of something like Hollow Knight.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'd like to nominate this. It's great not because it's good, but because it's so anxiety inducing. Kind of like the Sonic drowning theme, it gradually becomes faster and faster as you play, just wrecking your nerves.

Tho they made a pretty banger remix of it for 3rd Birthday (the soundtrack is arguably that game's only redeeming quality)
Runner up perhaps being FF7 Crisis Core on PSP.
Ok, if I have to guess, Price of Freedom?

Also, No One Lives Forever avatar. Very good. 60's galore.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan and Worgen