Great games you can't believe you're playing on your phone.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
My wife and I got new phones. Not our first smartphones but the most interesting games we played on those were things like Peggle; a great game but it's a phone game.
On our new phones my wife is playing GTA San Andreas and I'm playing Vice City and I have to say I'm pretty amazed. Those are a couple of my favorite ps2 games and we're playing them on our phones. Maybe I'm old but when I was a kid, this was like scifi shit.
So now I'm wondering what else I can play. I already looked for my other two favorite franchises from those days but I don't see them. Which is too bad because I haven't played a good Burnout game in a long time and Katamari would be perfect for a smartphone.

With the 3 gta games available, I can just keep playing those but I'm wondering what other games are out there. What games to real gamers play on their phones?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
well i'm playing chrono trigger every now and again which is pretty mind blowing.
i still remember when it was a big deal for my PC to emulate a snes game.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The infinity blade (or edge, I can't remember) is a pretty good game. The first has some pretty nice graphics and quite a few enemies. Now the second game has a story, but cost about ten bucks. I'd recommend them though.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
The fact that computers and most electronics actually exist blows my tiny mind.

OT: I don't have a phone that is capable of playing games other than snake and some awesome rollercoaster game.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Total LOLige said:
The fact that computers and most electronics actually exist blows my tiny mind.

OT: I don't have a phone that is capable of playing games other than snake and some awesome rollercoaster game.
Really? Lucky bastard, my phones not old enough to have snake and stuff, but too old to be smart.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
None. I don't play games on my phone these days, google play/app store/equivalents are just full of trash that makes finding something worthy of playing incredibly hard to find. I stick to my 3DS and Vita.

James Rednok

Apr 16, 2009
I'd probably have to go with X-COM. Sure, my big fat fingers sometimes accidentally send one of my squaddies to stand exposed within easy firing distance of several mutons on overwatch, but that's all canceled by the fact that it's X_COM and I can play it while I shit, or ride the bus, or behind one of my lovers' backs as they ride me, which totally happens, no really.

Elsewise,I'd probably say Plague Inc. It gets boring quickly, but somehow I never get tired of enslaving humanity with the Neurax Worm. Most likely because the soundtrack is just so catchy... ^_^

OH, how could I forget my actual favorite game ever, OTTO MATIC! No seriously, get it now. There's a free demo for Apple devices. It's worth every cent. Fun, funny, amazing soundtrack, and relatively solid level design. Fun for a quick level or two while you're on the go or waiting for a few minutes. ^_^

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
There's a pretty decnt turn-based RPG on the iOS App Store called The Quest. It's basically as deep as The Elder Scrolls (Enchanting, Alchemy, something like 30 skills and 6 main stats). It's not great, and there's not really any hand-holding if you forget what you're doing, but I really enjoy the old-school vibe. Ask for the link if you're interested!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I notice that some of them are just for iphone and i'm on android.
I also get the feeling that a couple of the suggestions are not exactly legit but it's ok, I wont tell a soul.

Drummodino said:
None. I don't play games on my phone these days, google play/app store/equivalents are just full of trash that makes finding something worthy of playing incredibly hard to find. I stick to my 3DS and Vita.
Yes, I noticed it's a bit of a chore to browse through everything considering that 99.999% of it is probably crap. That's why I was asking here. I figure some here have favorites. I haven't gotten the new generation of portable devices because there doesn't seem to be much I want to play on those either and I can't see lugging around both; which is admittedly silly because back when I was a teenager, I would carry around a walkman (tape player), a book, a watch, a camera, and a beeper.
That's why this is like scifi to me.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
San Andreas, my old PC used to have troubles running it, but it works just fine on my tiny phone, even though the controls are shit.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
kasperbbs said:
San Andreas, my old PC used to have troubles running it, but it works just fine on my tiny phone, even though the controls are shit.
I know, it's weird isn't it. Both that it plays on the phone and the driving controls. I don't know why they didn't keep the same driving for the mobile version of vice city; much easier to handle. There aren't other options besides the swiping? I haven't gotten too much of a chance to fiddle with it. I'm actually waiting for an OTG cable so I can hook the ps3 controller up to it. Not that I'm going to lug that onto the subway but it would still be cool.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Update: I'm also now trying the Injustice: Gods Among Us andoid game
3/5 It's not too bad. It is definitely a free phone game though: abridged fighting controls and a couple of microtransactions but at least the latter aren't necessary. There's plenty of resources to be gotten.
It is kind of compelling for a phone game. More of a collector card game than a straight up fighter. You buy cards of various superheroes & villains and pit them in various battle ladders with different perks and handicaps. I'm glad I downloaded it but also glad it's free.

Has anyone here tried the Amazing Spiderman mobile game? It looks cool like Spiderman2(ps2) but I'm hesitant to spend $ on it. Is it worth it?

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I've started the new Guardians of the Galaxy game on my phone and i'm addicted. It's amazingly fun and challenging, especially with all the comic references.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
I played some SNES games (again) on my phone. Chrono Trigger was one of them, too. It is just amazing, you sit in public transport, you can directly start from where you left the game last time even during fights and all (ahhh, emulators...) and with that help I relived some really fond memories.

Apart from that i enjoyed the Anomaly games on Android because they are quite challenging for a tower defens kind of thing. Perhaps it actually feels more like a rail-RTS... And I can not stress this again but as a Cthulhu fan, try Elder Sign Omens. It is so nice to see how you can use a computer environment to let a board game come to so much life on your phone.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I have the following "real" games on my phone, all from either the Google Play store, or Amazon App Store:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Soul Calibur
Final Fantasy IV (It's a port of the DS remake)
Max Payne
Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition

I also have Pinball Arcade, Ravensword: Shadowlands(closest to a TES game on mobile) and Sonic Dash, Rhythm of Fighters (King of Fighters as a rhythm game), and Something I haven't tried yet call Kritika.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I'm currently on Tatooine in KoTOR on my phone. Getting the money for HK-47 is hell. Speeder races with touch controls SUCKS! Other than that, no complaints. Love KoTOR, wish part 2(with modded in full content) was on here too

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Wow.
Thanks for the awesome advice guys. I'm definitely going to check some of these out.
I spent a lot of my commutes with my DS and got to play all of my favorite games of my youth, I wont discuss how. But I do have some of that going on in my phone already, I just don't like the app I have for it. Can we discuss emulators here? If you have a good one for Android pm me I guess.
I've never heard of Ravensword but I do love TES so I think I have to try that next.
Still haven't found anything that tops GTA, myself. Injustice Gods Among Us (I think its by the same people who made that Guardians of the Galaxy) was allright until the update make it crash on startup, every time. So now I've been playing Deadman's Cross which is a Zombie Shooter/Hoard battle game by Sqenix. It's another definitely made for phones kind of game with collectible card side battles and microtransactions for resources, that you at least don't need to pay for. If anyone wants to try it out, we both get a special zombie for our hoard if you use my invite code: PUUNZJF...or is that frowned upon on these forums.