Great Looking Free Game?

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Hello fellow escapists.

I did a quick search and couldn't find this topic. I like open source gaming, but because of the age of my computer I have mostly stuck with low graphics games. In a couple of weeks though I will be getting a new computer with a fairly decent set up (core i7 2.2Ghz, 8GB of 1333 RAM and 1.5Gb Nvidia 560GTX card. Yes its a laptop) and I was wanting to push the system. Are there any free games that you guys are aware of that push graphics with decent gameplay? Yeah, I'm being a little shallow, but I want to see the pretty!

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
I'm not sure if it pushes the limits but I find League of Legends to look nice but excel in being incredibly fun.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
TF2 is free... and on the highest settings it looks pretty good. But watch your back, because that's where I'll be ;3

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Thank you for suggesting Java and sprite based games older than my first computer for pushing my brand new system. I am sure they will come in handy..

Captain_Fantastic said:
uhh mount&blade is kind of free
Define kind of? The original is $20 on steam still.

PayneTrayne said:
I'm not sure if it pushes the limits but I find League of Legends to look nice but excel in being incredibly fun.
It does look nice. I'm looking forward to being able to play it on higher than "please don't overheat" settings.

Aleate said:
TF2 is free... and on the highest settings it looks pretty good. But watch your back, because that's where I'll be ;3
Ohhh, good point. Any tips on finding a good vanilla server? I'm afraid that I'd get murdered in an item enabled game as a newb.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Free games don't tend to push graphics too hard, since usually they're either older games that developers have made free since they know no one will buy them anymore, or they're free to play games that capitalize on the maximum amount of people possible being able to play them (and therefore keep the graphical requirements low).

You can get some really good looking games pretty damn cheap though. Metro 2033 is about $10 on amazon, and you can get the original Crysis for under $20. Both of these games are really benchmarks for graphical capability.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
Ohhh, good point. Any tips on finding a good vanilla server? I'm afraid that I'd get murdered in an item enabled game as a newb.
Well, most of the items in TF2 aren't direct upgrades, but rather sidegrades of other items. Not having certain weapons can be a little frustrating, but there aren't really any weapons that are completely and utterly BETTER than the standard ones, just weapons that suit certain people's play styles better.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
How about an MMO since most of them have gone F2P? Maybe Champions Online? Or DDO? Or LotRO? Those three are the most graphical that I can think of.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
feather240 said:
Open source is not the same as free.
The relative (I use the term loosely) interchangeability of the terms suits my purposes for this thread. I am aware of the difference, my apologies for mis-using the term.

Captain_Fantastic said:
well you can get a good demo for it and do anything you want untill lvl 10 i think also Cracking is simple (if i had a way to pay for it i would)

http://www.taleworlds.com/
ah ha! now I see what all the fuss is about as well. Thank you.

Dirty Hipsters said:
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
Well, most of the items in TF2 aren't direct upgrades, but rather sidegrades of other items. Not having certain weapons can be a little frustrating, but there aren't really any weapons that are completely and utterly BETTER than the standard ones, just weapons that suit certain people's play styles better.
Thanks for the advice.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
I started up on The Battlegrounds 24/7 CP/Payload Server. I still play there to this day. Friendly bunch, most of 'em are. They'll help you get accomodated to the game and

Look for me or my friend Fayathon on there. We're all for training the newbs.

Hell, dude, what's your Steam name? I'll link you straight into the server when I get a chance.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
I remember this game looking fairly pretty, but very empty.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/assault

jetricx

Aug 29, 2011
Off the top of my head...Team Fortress 2, Bloodline Champions, League of Legends...all I can think of at the moment. Finding one that has incredible graphics and is free may be a bit difficult though.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
Yeah, currently there's only a couple complete upgrade weapons. The Machina and The Enforcer.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
OrenjiJusu said:
Ultima 4 : Quest of the avatar is free from GOG at the moment i think.
I'm not sure if his super high specs computer can run it. Ultima IV has some intense graphics...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
Yeah, currently there's only a couple complete upgrade weapons. The Machina and The Enforcer.
`-` The Machina isn't a complete upgrade. The ability to noscope is SUPER important if you aren't running the SMG. And the Enforcer isn't a complete upgrade unless you use the Dead Ringer with it...but I'll agree that both the Enforcer and the Dead Ringer need serious nerfing. <.< Just today we had a Spy on the other team take down three people by himself because he waited behind doorways and just gunned everyone down with his super high damage revolver.

The only, ONLY 'complete' upgrade in TF2 is the Solemn Vow. But nobody uses anything but the Ubersaw anyway, so it's not really that important.

OP, If you join this usergroup: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC then we can drown you in free items to start you off with.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
There are several good free games out there, just check the "Free to Play" tab in Steam. I play Alliance of Valiant Arms (I'm sure the title is much cooler in Russian) and it looks nice and the gameplay works well.

I also sometimes play an RPG called "Angels Online", which is pretty fun.