World of Tanks.
Team Fortress 2.
Global Agenda.
ABP Reloaded.
Champion Online.
War Inc Battlezone.
Alliance of Valiant Arms.
Forsaken World.
ALL of those are MMOs, but most can be played by self and look pleasing on their own right.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
LOTRO is basically free and looks great in my opinion. Basically the part is that while you can get to 65 with out buying anything, but your going to have a grind ahead of you.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
http://www.battleon.com/

if you like turn based combat

http://shaiya.aeriagames.com/

if you like MMO's

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The Conan MMO whatever it is called. It went Free to play recently and looks amazing, the only other one I can think of is LOTR Online.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
drakythe said:
Hello fellow escapists.

I did a quick search and couldn't find this topic. I like open source gaming, but because of the age of my computer I have mostly stuck with low graphics games. In a couple of weeks though I will be getting a new computer with a fairly decent set up (core i7 2.2Ghz, 8GB of 1333 RAM and 1.5Gb Nvidia 560GTX card. Yes its a laptop) and I was wanting to push the system. Are there any free games that you guys are aware of that push graphics with decent gameplay? Yeah, I'm being a little shallow, but I want to see the pretty!
Vindictus, an Action-Jrpg by Nexon that uses the Source engine, is pretty.
Champions Online is also pretty fine looking, but that's subjective.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Kopikatsu said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
TF2 is free... and on the highest settings it looks pretty good. But watch your back, because that's where I'll be ;3
Ohhh, good point. Any tips on finding a good vanilla server? I'm afraid that I'd get murdered in an item enabled game as a newb.
Well, most of the items in TF2 aren't direct upgrades, but rather sidegrades of other items. Not having certain weapons can be a little frustrating, but there aren't really any weapons that are completely and utterly BETTER than the standard ones, just weapons that suit certain people's play styles better.
Yeah, currently there's only a couple complete upgrade weapons. The Machina and The Enforcer.
`-` The Machina isn't a complete upgrade. The ability to noscope is SUPER important if you aren't running the SMG. And the Enforcer isn't a complete upgrade unless you use the Dead Ringer with it...but I'll agree that both the Enforcer and the Dead Ringer need serious nerfing. <.< Just today we had a Spy on the other team take down three people by himself because he waited behind doorways and just gunned everyone down with his super high damage revolver.

The only, ONLY 'complete' upgrade in TF2 is the Solemn Vow. But nobody uses anything but the Ubersaw anyway, so it's not really that important.

OP, If you join this usergroup: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC then we can drown you in free items to start you off with.
I'm not exactly a noob, but can I be drowned in free items as well?

Seriously need a wrangler (only recently started playing again after a long hiatus, and missed out on a metric ton of weapons).

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
drakythe said:
Aleate said:
TF2 is free... and on the highest settings it looks pretty good. But watch your back, because that's where I'll be ;3
Ohhh, good point. Any tips on finding a good vanilla server? I'm afraid that I'd get murdered in an item enabled game as a newb.
Well, most of the items in TF2 aren't direct upgrades, but rather sidegrades of other items. Not having certain weapons can be a little frustrating, but there aren't really any weapons that are completely and utterly BETTER than the standard ones, just weapons that suit certain people's play styles better.
Yeah, currently there's only a couple complete upgrade weapons. The Machina and The Enforcer.
`-` The Machina isn't a complete upgrade. The ability to noscope is SUPER important if you aren't running the SMG. And the Enforcer isn't a complete upgrade unless you use the Dead Ringer with it...but I'll agree that both the Enforcer and the Dead Ringer need serious nerfing. <.< Just today we had a Spy on the other team take down three people by himself because he waited behind doorways and just gunned everyone down with his super high damage revolver.
I haven't seen anyone no-scope in ages, the penetration and bullet damage far outweighs losing the ability to do 50 damage to someone in a pinch. As far as the Enforcer goes, get a medic to buddy up a spy running that and you will find one of the highest dps combos of all time.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
Martin Loake said:
drakythe said:
Hello fellow escapists.

I did a quick search and couldn't find this topic. I like open source gaming, but because of the age of my computer I have mostly stuck with low graphics games. In a couple of weeks though I will be getting a new computer with a fairly decent set up (core i7 2.2Ghz, 8GB of 1333 RAM and 1.5Gb Nvidia 560GTX card. Yes its a laptop) and I was wanting to push the system. Are there any free games that you guys are aware of that push graphics with decent gameplay? Yeah, I'm being a little shallow, but I want to see the pretty!
Have you ever heard of a cool website called Pirates Bay. It's amazing I can't believe they have the money to offer all of those big name games for free. I'd suggest going through their video game downloads section, you're sure to find something.
I'd watch it. The mods don't take kindly to promoting piracy...

OT: Team Fortress 2 is a great game. I'd suggest finding someone to show you the ropes though, because at this point it can be kind of complicated for a new player.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Probably. You'd have to ask, though. The Wrangler is easy to get though. It's the second or third achievement item for the Engineer.

SL33TBL1ND said:
Then you must be playing with some fairly useless Snipers. The Machina is strictly long range- It has few little mid-range capacity and zero close range. If you don't run the SMG with it, pretty much any class that gets to mid-close range will kill you horribly. They'd probably still kill you even with the SMG because it sucks.

Anywho, I go Battle Sniper all the time (SR/Jarate/Bushwacka). Cover them in Jarate and noscope them to death. Yes, it's a worthless subclass, but it's fun. Also, it's useful for advancing to better sniper spots. As for the Machina's bonuses, it only works on a full charge (And you shouldn't be sitting there charging to full as Sniper anyway), and getting more than one kill is very difficult because people don't line up, probably because bullets don't pass through teammates that well. (Not saying it doesn't happen, because I've gotten about three double kills, but there is a reason that it plays server-wide fanfare when you accomplish it.)

tl;dr, The Machina is awful for running around and quickscoping, which is the most effective way to play Sniper, and good for camping out and letting each shot charge. Which is the least effective way to play Sniper.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Not true. Everything about the Sniper was designed to prevent that style of play. And while your loadout would work on certain maps, as with any class loadout, that changes from map to map and from meta to meta. For example, if you're playing something like Badwater, there aren't that many opportunities for hanging back and racking up the kills. On Doublecross, however, the Sniper bay has a fairly good FOV and is pretty easily forgotten by the enemy team. Not only that, but has a clear view of the enemy's entrance, leading to many double kills.

On that note, it's all about positioning. If you can angle yourself just right, 3/5 kills will be doubles. It takes practice, but it destroys Heavy Medic teams.

weker

May 27, 2009
drakythe said:
Hello fellow escapists.

Age of conan is the best graphical mmo out there from what I have seen, and furthermore is free to play. I would have said Arma 2 but I heard that was graphically handicapped.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Kopikatsu said:
Not true. Everything about the Sniper was designed to prevent that style of play. And while your loadout would work on certain maps, as with any class loadout, that changes from map to map and from meta to meta. For example, if you're playing something like Badwater, there aren't that many opportunities for hanging back and racking up the kills. On Doublecross, however, the Sniper bay has a fairly good FOV and is pretty easily forgotten by the enemy team. Not only that, but has a clear view of the enemy's entrance, leading to many double kills.

On that note, it's all about positioning. If you can angle yourself just right, 3/5 kills will be doubles. It takes practice, but it destroys Heavy Medic teams.
I would agree that he was designed to make quickscoping ineffective, but it's still the best way to play Sniper. With minimal combat damage, an uncharged headshot will kill 7/9 classes. With slightly more than that, Solly goes down as well. Which just leaves Heavy. But then, Medic -> Quickscope Heavy with usually make the Heavy retreat...or at least damage him significantly enough that your teammates can beat him.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Kopikatsu said:

I would agree that he was designed to make quickscoping ineffective, but it's still the best way to play Sniper. With minimal combat damage, an uncharged headshot will kill 7/9 classes. With slightly more than that, Solly goes down as well. Which just leaves Heavy. But then, Medic -> Quickscope Heavy with usually make the Heavy retreat...or at least damage him significantly enough that your teammates can beat him.
True, but I think that it really depends on your opponent's loadout as well. Everything in that game is relative.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Try Age of Conan. I was going to download it but I realised I need a new (or another) HDD. It's recently gone free-to-play and visually, it looks fantastic.
Also, you could try and sign up for the beta of Path of Exile? It looks quite good and the game it self has potential, oh and TotalBiscuit did a WTF IS... on it if you wanted an in-depth look at the game.
http://www.pathofexile.com/

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I don't honestly think you're going to find many graphically pretty MMOs that can afford to be free. :s The cheapest graphically pretty MMO I know of is Guild Wars, which is still $40 to buy, but is completely free to play all you want, afterward. Uhhh, I'd say keep checking Steam sales, they're bound to have something. Sorry I'm not more help. :{

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Some Random Tosser said:
Give Iji a go. It's fantastic.
hehe, Iji is a fantastic game. Has a wonderful aesthetic style. Not a graphical powerhouse though ;)

octafish said:
The Conan MMO whatever it is called. It went Free to play recently and looks amazing, the only other one I can think of is LOTR Online.
weker said:
Age of conan is the best graphical mmo out there from what I have seen, and furthermore is free to play. I would have said Arma 2 but I heard that was graphically handicapped.
Ohhh, I've played LOTRO before, on way the hell low settings and it was pretty enough, I will definitely have to give it an Conan a go on high, just for kicks and giggles (plus I never played Conan before, is the game itself any fun? That is kind of important too...)

Any everyone offering help on TF2. Thanks!