Great Moments of I Am So Not Ready For This

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen: First sighting of Death.

So, I had entered Bitterblack Isle for the first time to get a taste, as I was not the recommended level to actually tackle it for real. The first skirmish was with some Wargs (wolf-like creatures that can inflict poison). They did some damage but were dispatched with relative ease. Next was a storeroom filled with spiders, no big deal. Down a path leading from the storeroom I ran into a group of Hobgoblins, great something I was familiar with. After dispatching them I came upon a sort of courtyard filled with Hobgoblins. I went to take them out but a cutscene stopped me dead in my tracks. That scythe, that tattered robe, that creepy lantern, it's the GRIM FUCKING REAPER. I actually said aloud, "I AM NOT READY FOR THIS," and ran my ass outside, telling my Pawns to do the same. I am now playing through the area for reals but luckily haven't run into him again.

Anyone else?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
For me it was a few years ago, when I started playing Odin Sphere and reached the end of the Gwen's first chapter.

"B-but we're not even past the tutorial!"

Kged

Mar 17, 2013
Playing Panzer General for the first time, flushed with success in Poland. With n00b overconfidence, I go piling into Norway - very awkward country, mountains and forests all over the place. I'm attacking from the south, and have to fight through all that crap to get to the northern cities. Military genius strikes: paratroopers! I get as many of my best units as I can converted into paras, and wait for the weather to clear so I can fly deep behind enemy lines and drop my boys onto the unsuspecting blonde folk below. I have a small force of fighters to support the transport planes, and even though I've never fought them before I am sure we can handle whatever the Norwegian air force turns out to have, if there even is one. A clear day comes, and I launch deep strikes with my elite regiments - if I remember right, it was two to the northwest to grab a couple of key coastal cities, but the bulk of my force straight due north to hit the main targets. It is at this point that I become aware Norway is allied to Britain, as fucking hordes of Spitfires and Hurricanes come screaming out of the blue and hit my transport planes like the wrath of God. Army group northwest were gone in an instant, and even though I tried to rally my 3 or 4 fighters to protect the main force the RAF went through them like a brick through a window. Maybe 4 turns in to the campaign, and virtually my entire army lies broken and burning in the Norwegian mountains.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
The first time I ran into Death in Persona 3 (an odd encounter, considering that I hadn't been on that floor for very long).

My first time seeing the Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls. Granted, he's actually a rather easy boss fight, even by the standards of most games, but he certainly looked intimidating.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
The first time I went to New Londo in Dark Souls, which was probably in the first hour. I was stabbeded and then I dieded ._.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I had trouble with the Elite 4, so I doubted I could take her on, but...I never lost so badly in my life...that freaking Garchomp...
Lucky. You had forewarning.

*flashback to Pokemon Black*

"Well, here I am in Undella Town! Looks rather pretty here. Time to start talking to people...oh, hi! Your name is Cynthia, huh? Odd, you have a <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Egwloq6Lk>strangely threatening musical motif, are you an important character? Do I want to duel? Well, sure, my team's average about level 55, I should be able to win. Bring it on!"

*gets entire team sweeped by Spiritomb*

"...mommy. " ;_;

Jolly Co-operator said:
My first time seeing the Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls. Granted, he's actually a rather easy boss fight, even by the standards of most games, but he certainly looked intimidating.
*flashback*

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF HR GEIGER'S TWISTED FUCKING NIGHTMARES IS <color=red>THAT?!"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
FFT for the PS.

I'm actually playing through it again for the first time in years and have made it laughably easy due to a RIDICULOUS amount of grinding at the beginning of the game...seriously, I had 2 ninjas with ignore height before I got to the 5th story battle, and I had 2 master calculators before I completed the first chapter (of four) of the game.

But we're not here to talk about being OVERprepared, we're here to talk about being underprepared. At the end of Chapter 3, you've gotta do a series of 3 back-to-back battles in a lovely little place called Riovanes Castle. The first battle is pretty standard: you're at the gates and have to kill a couple knights, some archers, I think there's a monk in there, and a black mage or two. Pretty tough, but not too much of a headache. Then comes Mr. Wiegraf to challenge your main character to a 1v1 battle.

Here's a bit of info about Wiegraf. He's powerful ranged attacks that can kill you in one shot and if they don't they can inflict Stop upon you, meaning he gets a few turns to kill you at his leisure. The only way to prevent this would be to break his sword, but he's got the Maintenance ability which means you can't break his sword. The only other option is to try and steal his sword...and good luck with that. If you fail you're dead.

So that leaves you with having to kill him before he kills you. Well your best shot is to go straight offense with two swords and try to do enough damage to him to knock him down. Well as it happens he's got a kick ass shield that makes it nigh-impossible to hit him from the front and pretty hard to hit him from the sides...add to it his accessory which increases his side defense and your only left with trying to attack him from behind...the problem is that since he's got strong ranged attacks, he doesn't feel too keen on the idea of letting you get around behind him.

In short: if you go against him and you're not overleveled for the fight, you're going to lose. Period. And if you've been working off of one save file and saved your game after the first battle at the gates of Riovanes, then that means you're essentially stuck...meaning you have to start the entire frickin' game all over.

Assuming you do manage to knock him down, the rest of your party shows up as he turns into a massive spell-casting demon with powerful summon spells that can wipe out your entire party very quickly. You'd think spreading out would be a good idea but due to the layout of the battlefield, you're pretty much forced to remain clumped together. Again, unless you're overleveled for the battle, you'd completely boned.

Assuming you do manage to beat him, you go to the 3rd and final battle on the rooftop. The good news is that there's only three opponents, the better news is that all you have to do is knock one of them down to being "wounded" and they all retreat. The bad news? They're all incredibly fast (so they usually get to go before you), you lose the match if they kill an NPC that you don't have control over (and they can do so in one shot on their first turn), and unless you have someone with Ignore Height/Teleport and a very strong attack, you're not going to even be able to make it to the enemies in time.

In short: Riovanes Castle fucking sucks. It's easily the hardest part in the entire frickin' game and will basically do this to you if you're not prepared:
In case the metaphor wasn't clear: Riovanes is the clown.
For that matter, Adam Sandler represents the average player's response to Riovanes. :p

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Any Dota match when we forget about enemy Alchemist. 40 minutes into the game, our team wins every major fight, we keep pushing and then, out of the jungle comes Alchemist with BKB, Assault Cuirass and Mjolnir... yeah, we weren't ready for this.

In Dino Crisis 2 when Gigantosaur comes out of fucking nowhere, EATS the T.rex and then proceeds to chase you.

Hmm... what else... OH! In King's Bounty: The Legend there's some sort of spiritual battle that makes you fight an older version of your hero. He has the same level as you, same skills and same army! Considering how overleveled I was at that point, that was no easy battle.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
RJ 17 said:
FFT for the PS.

A whole bunch of talking about Final Fantasy Tactics
Oh my goodness, the first Zodiac demon caught me completely unprepared. I also hated all of the 1v1 battles in that game, especially the 1v1 fight against the other Zodiac demon.

So..many...game overs.

Also fighting Summoners for the first time in that game.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo(The summoning noise, you know the one, that one.)
....."What the hell is going on???"

I love that game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Essentially every time I see something larger than me in Dark Souls.

Seriously.

Screw all the things that are taller than me.

Also, every single time I see an Ethereal in XCOM.

And every time I ever do anything, ever, when playing The Binding of Isaac.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
I had trouble with the Elite 4, so I doubted I could take her on, but...I never lost so badly in my life...that freaking Garchomp...
Thank god for Floatzels blazing speed. He was all I had left. I Out speed Garchomp and smack him right in his smug dragon dick with an ice punch. Thank you Floatzel.
[http://photobucket.com/images/floatzel]

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012

First time I confronted them, I had such a "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--" moment, especially with how easy they killed me. They're still challenging even when at max level. If you could take them out, you were set for life!

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013

Good lord this guy.
His previous form is a giant robot with floating hands and a sword five times your size. Piece of cake.
His second form is an enormous robot with three heads and giant cannons and the kitchen freaking sink. NBD, dash'n'jump attacky patterny whatever.
His final form is you.
Yeah, just you. The dinky person-sprite that's not entirely visible in some stages depending on the amount of foreground debris.

Well, apparently those other bodies are a favor to the rest of the world, put there to slow him down, because the moment he gets through giving you a creepy laugh and politely waiting for the 'WARNING' sign to fade, that sword is going up your ass.

To give you a little background, Megaman Zero 3 has some of the most punishing stage-clear mechanics I've ever seen. If you don't do near-perfectly (going fast, not getting hit and by the way killing a completely arbitrary number of enemies while you do it), you can't get the special attacky upgradey thing at the end of the level, and you don't get another chance to get it. On top of that, your teeny-tiny health bar can't be increased unless you sacrifice little friendly robot fairies' souls by crushing them between your white gloved murder hands, or figuring out the weird 'satellite' system that's not all that intuitive. So I had one upgrade, half a toblerone for a health bar and only pipe dreams of a sub tank at this point. But hey, I'm good, I'm hardcore at this kinda game.

No. No I'm not. Because if I was, I wouldn't have gotten combo'd (something that never happens to you in the game before this point) and turned into the metal-and-lubricant equivalent of steak tartar. Jumping Jesus on a craft mat.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Jolly Co-operator said:
The first time I ran into Death in Persona 3 (an odd encounter, considering that I hadn't been on that floor for very long).

Death jumped me after a minute or two on a floor as well. It was a floor that didn't have any normal shadows, though.

And the Gaping Dragon jumped me and mauled me the first time I entered its arena before I even had a chance to react. XD The second time through I ran to the side right away, but that was quite the surprise.

I had one earlier today as well, actually. Playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, I had a level 11 warlock exploring the Northern Wastes of a map with his army and got side-lined by a level 20 Epic monster, because the pathing units take can get a bit wonky sometimes, and he just steamrolled my entire group.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
In Darksiders 2, early into the second act I entered the Lair of the Deposed King. I got through the dungeon okay, until I got to Argul. I attacked him, he lost maybe 0.01% health. He reduced me to a blackened smear on the floor.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
So far... every boss in Shin Megami Tensei IV. Goddamn Minotaur -_- and thank god for grinding!

Also whenever I play a game like Monster Hunter or Soul Sacrifice. I always feel like I'm forgetting something that would be useful.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BQE said:
RJ 17 said:
FFT for the PS.

A whole bunch of talking about Final Fantasy Tactics
Oh my goodness, the first Zodiac demon caught me completely unprepared. I also hated all of the 1v1 battles in that game, especially the 1v1 fight against the other Zodiac demon.

So..many...game overs.

Also fighting Summoners for the first time in that game.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo(The summoning noise, you know the one, that one.)
....."What the hell is going on???"

I love that game.
Yeah, the first demon was a pain in the ass as well. At least you've got room to spread out so his magic can't hit ALL of your party in one shot. And for that matter, there's no chance of getting stuck in the castle because you saved in the middle of a string of fights, preventing you from getting back to the outside world to level grind a bit until you actually are ready for the fight.

And yeah, that beautiful summoning sound. Funny how the AI summoners always seem to have the perfect timing to be able to move into position, pick their spell, and then cast it ensuring that 4 out of your 5 guys get hit. When you play a summoner? Yeah, "10 turns to summon Shiva, have fun with that."

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
In Darksiders 2, early into the second act I entered the Lair of the Deposed King. I got through the dungeon okay, until I got to Argul. I attacked him, he lost maybe 0.01% health. He reduced me to a blackened smear on the floor.

What's REALLY fun is when you get to fight him as Wave 75 in The Crucible. They go ahead and bump his level up to 40 annnd yeah, if you get hit by that hammer-slam that freezes you if you're even in the same area-code as where the hammer strikes, you're pretty much dead unless you have an obscenely high Resistence stat.