Great Obscure Games

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
Haunting Ground might be considered obscure by some. It was a ***** to find, so I think that makes it somewhat obscure.
The same goes for Rule of Rose.
Really great games, both very unheard of by most people I've spoken to.

Emilin_Rose

Aug 8, 2009
You're really letting me do this? Really? okay then. Here goes.

Top on the list is the Lost Kingdoms series, 1 and 2. Get them both they're amazing
Secondly is Rhapsody, and earlier title from NIS, who made srpg nerd legend Disgaea
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Kinda like persona, but i liked it more. PS2
Fatal Frame series: All 4, though the first is my favorite. PS2 except for 4 which is WII
Hey You Pikachu, so much nostalgia N64
Quest 64, the only game i've hailed as having gameplay, battle system, music, and(for its day) graphics so good i could actually overlook the nonexistant storyline.
Harvest Moon is a life simulator. Like the sims but you actually LIKE the characters in HM. Like animal crossing, but you have more to do.
Lets see what else:
Eternal Darkness GC
Clocktower SNES(roms tend to have english patches, since thats pretty much the only way to find the game)
Klonoa series
Animaniacs SNES
Also if you can track down a ps2 headset there's an old game called "Lifeline" that i found fun.
Viewtiful Joe(if you haven't seen it yet)
American Mcgee's Alice
and soon Alice: Madness Returns
Wave Race 64
Space Channel 5 DC
Mystical Ninja N64
Dark Cloud 2(best rpg ever)PS2
.Hack//infection/mutation/outbreak/quarentine PS2

For a more recent title Sonic and the Black Knight for the Wii. Multiplayer is kinda stickytaped on the way spcampaign was taped onto halo3, but the single player is so much fun its ridiculous.

There's also Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, a stunning rpg that does an excellent job of looking into human nature. Gameplay isn't the best, but can be overlooked. Also Crow is awesome. This one's for the wii too.

Well i'd stop now but i'd just think of more.

See, already did. Evolution Worlds. Not the best, but an okay gc title.
and another GC title, AMAZING ISLAND. Minigames aren't much, but the character creator is amazing.

For ps2 again we have Graffiti Kingdom. Not much more than a mediocre platformer cellotaped to the most amazing 3d create-your-own-character drawing system i've ever seen.

Lets see now what next. Wizard 101 is an MMO i personally loved.
Hmm what else. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky(maybe not obscure enough but oh well.)

Kings Quest 7. old PC game. No one will disagree on this one.(if anyone has a copy pleeeese let me know, i've been wanting this game forever. I miss it so.)

and since this is getting long i'll leave you with somethings from the days of shareware.

An old dungeon game called Haven, made incredibly difficult, to the point where it is entirely UNFAIR AT ALL, ask anyone who's played it.

An old in-depth DnD style RPG that was RIDICULOUS in everything it did, from the amount of ways to create your character, the stat and guild system, the traps in the dungeon itself(stay away from studded tiles, those things are BAD NEWS, same with water if you aren't quick). Really tough because your team autofights when a hostile enemy is near, and in that same way if you don't think quick you'll either die or drown or something. Oh and the identification and selling of items is pretty well done too. Mordor 1.something

Or if you want a more traditional turn based rpg with what would be considered these days utterly stupid(note stupid is good here) levels of customization and a wide world and amazingly fun story, There's Exile 3, Ruined world.

or if you feel like something more casual for half an hour, Quenzar's Cavern was also really fun.*hisssssssss* hehe

I'll find some links here if i can.

Exile 3 http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/exile3/winexile3.html
Can't find haven. I got it off an old disk called '1000 best games for windows'
Mordor: http://mordor.uni.cc/forum/index.php?automodule=downloads
Quenzar's Cavern http://www.demu.org/pages/view.php?ref=4939&search=man&order_by=random&sort=ASC&offset=74&archive=0&k=

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
omicron1 said:
Sp3ratus said:
I remember Robin Hood... I also remember one point in the game where I had about four Robin Hoods and a dozen Little Johns. Dang game was buggy as anything...
Really? I never experienced anything like that, from what I remember when I played it(I really should play it again sometime soon), I had no bugs or errors or anything of that nature. I don't think I played with any patches either, but I could be remembering wrong. No matter what, I still had a lot of fun with it.

Wayneguard said:
Disciples 1 and 2 for sure. Even within the turn-based strategy genre (obscure in its own right), they're not that well known. Fantastic games though.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioned those games, seeing as I forgot to. Me and my brother played those two gmes a lot, really fantastic games. I always loved the art style of the Disciples games, even the third one, though it's not as great as the first two. Also, great avatar, even if I am more of a Legions of the Damned kind of man instead ;)

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
TornadoFive said:
Time Hollow for the DS. A fantastic story about time paradoxes. Admittedly, the gameplay is just "go here, talk to them, click that, move on" and the story is always the same, so no replay value. But the story . . . damn, it's good.

And the kick-ass theme song doesn't hurt either!

Isn't that made by Cing? The developer that did Hotel Dusk? God it's a shame they went under.

I suppose on that note, Hotel Dusk is my contribution to this thread.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
Hiphophippo said:
TornadoFive said:
Time Hollow for the DS. A fantastic story about time paradoxes. Admittedly, the gameplay is just "go here, talk to them, click that, move on" and the story is always the same, so no replay value. But the story . . . damn, it's good.

Isn't that made by Cing? The developer that did Hotel Dusk? God it's a shame they went under.

Nah, it was Konami that made Time Hollow.

And Cing went bust?! Damn, that is shame. They made some good games for the DS. I rarely play anything other than "casual" games on my DS, but Cing made some decent ones.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
TornadoFive said:
Hiphophippo said:
TornadoFive said:

Nah, it was Konami that made Time Hollow.

And Cing went bust?! Damn, that is shame. They made some good games for the DS. I rarely play anything other than "casual" games on my DS, but Cing made some decent ones.
At any rate, it's good to hear someone mention Time Hollow since I've been pretty close to ordering that lately. I love me some adventure games and interactive novels on my DS.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Megacherv said:
Wait, Dice Multimedia as in EA DICE?
It was one of the last games Maxis made before EA absorbed them I think. That boxart was probably a rerelease....

As for EA DICE, I have no idea.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Space Station: Silicon Valley is one of my favorite N64 games. You're a processor chip that takes over the bodies of robotic animals. Each type of animal has their own stats and special abilities. It has a quirky sense of humor and was actually made by the same people who later made Grand Theft Auto III.

Jesus Christ... so nostalgic.... *plugs in N64*

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
madwarper said:
The Etrian Odyssey [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etrian_Odyssey] series (1, 2 & 3) are gems of old-school, dungen-crawling RPGs.

EO1 had classic trope classes and was broken (2 words; Immunize & Defender).
EO2 improved gameplay and worked to balance the classes (remove above 2 words), but added other brokenness (Dominate).
EO3 got rid of previous classes, and made all new ones (Ninjas, Pirates, etc.) and added the ability to multi-class (Ninja-Pirates!)
This is a great time to ask a question I've been mulling over. As a STAUNCH fan of this series, is the third one pretty solid? How would you rate it compared to the other two?

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Sp3ratus said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioned those games, seeing as I forgot to. Me and my brother played those two gmes a lot, really fantastic games. I always loved the art style of the Disciples games, even the third one, though it's not as great as the first two. Also, great avatar, even if I am more of a Legions of the Damned kind of man instead ;)
Haha glad there's another disciples fan out there ;)

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
jesseetc said:
I've never met another Phantom Dust fan in my life, so.
No offense, but there's probably a reason for that... XD

Anyhow...

Considering I've at least heard of 75% of these (if not having played them), very surprised that the Shadow Hearts series (PS2) hasn't landed in her o_O WHERE ARE THE YURI FANS?! (EDIT: talking about the character, not... you know...)

*cough* I also remember Bully (PS2, Scholarship Ed. for 360/Wii) getting quite a bit of rap for being labeled a "Columbine simulator" by the press when it first came out, but has since then dropped off the map :/ Really would like to see a sequel of this game. Same goes for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath; who can't like a cross-bow-toting, critter-shooting, Man-With-No-Name-impersonating furry badass?

Just one more, since I could go on all day: Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. Propeller-driven bi/triplanes with an array of weapons that would shame most militaries, a thrilling backstory that held you in your seat for the whole ride... who honestly didn't have a blast playing this game? Granted, Nathan did wear on my nerves after a while, but after taking down a zeppelin-munching zeppelin, I kinda forgot about that naggling annoyance... yeah... ^-^

Kotep

Apr 3, 2011
I'd like to throw in Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. I went in expecting something just to give me a quick, cheap RPG fix, and...wow. Honestly, it's one of my favorite RPGs now. There's something almost indescribable about it, like you can just feel the devs were having one hell of a time while they were making it. I guess it's not popular because, to be perfectly honest, the original release (Ego Draconis) had a lot of pretty glaring gameplay issues, and it came out near the same time as another particular dragon-themed RPG, but the effort that went into taking it from ED to DKS made it go from a sort of 'guilty pleasure' game into one of my top three RPGs. If you like snarky humor and good exploration, it is one awesome RPG.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Redlin5 said:

Rarely do I meet someone who has played this game.
I have! My cousins used to own it ^^

Nouw said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Defining obscure is hard.

Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus...those AREN'T obscure. That much is certain.

But I gotta mention Lock's Quest for the DS. The biggest publicity that ever saw is a newspost in Penny Arcade.
I know I played it! Fantastic game it is.

I have to say Aliens Versus Predator 2, hardly anyone knows about it now or ever.
I have that game and it's fucking amazing. High-five :D

end_boss said:
Hexen was a fun little game. Basically a Doom rip-off, but more medieval.
That's probably because it's a Doom mod.
Sadly, it doesn't work on my computer D:

Anyways, my list:

Boxes - An indie freeware game made by a dev called Twenty3, you'll need that name if you're looking for it. It's an insanely fun and hard survival-type game. Play it on Extreme, Classic is dull.

Felix Shadow - This is obscure at it's best. It's got an innovative but terrible movement system, but other than that it's your standard Helix/Crimax platformer.

War World 3 - A thirdperson mecha arcadeish game. Fucking awesome :D

Moonbase Alpha -

.kkrieger - It's 96 kilobytes and has graphics to rival Halo CE. Look it up if you don't believe me.

AnUntitledStory - My favourite platformer of all time. It's a 2D, open-world, rpg-esque exploration platformer with some scary-as-shit moments and an awesome storyline. :3